McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 720S from Tampa. After having it for 3 weeks the door broke apart and locked in the shut position. After waiting for 2 weeks for an answer I finally find out from a factory rep that the door was mounted wrong and that is why it broke. I was then told that it needed a replacement door and a repaint and would take three months.
Mclaren is claiming they are going to buy me out of the car, rather than put me into a new one, since I bought a demo with a small discount and they are not willing to put me into a nondemo.
This has been a very bad experience that included me having to call them repeatedly in order to get any answers or to get anything to happen. As of right now I am out the car, and have zero refund. Needless to say that Mclaren has made a decision to not have me as a Mclaren owner now or ever in the future.
I was truly excited about the car but they have killed any desire to own a Mclaren for ever.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I purchased a new 720S from Tampa. After having it for 3 weeks the door broke apart and locked in the shut position. After waiting for 2 weeks for an answer I finally find out from a factory rep that the door was mounted wrong and that is why it broke. I was then told that it needed a replacement door and a repaint and would take three months.
Mclaren is claiming they are going to buy me out of the car, rather than put me into a new one, since I bought a demo with a small discount and they are not willing to put me into a nondemo.
This has been a very bad experience that included me having to call them repeatedly in order to get any answers or to get anything to happen. As of right now I am out the car, and have zero refund. Needless to say that Mclaren has made a decision to not have me as a Mclaren owner now or ever in the future.
I was truly excited about the car but they have killed any desire to own a Mclaren for ever.
I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this.

When you say "McLaren", who are you talking to?

Have you looked into Florida's lemon laws?

·
Registered
788 Posts

They are buying back the Demo car at what he bought it for. (doesn't make a whole lot of sense that it had faults with it when it was being used as a Demo).

He doesn't want the cash but rather be swapped into a brand new higher MSRP car and they aren't willing to give him this (I'm assuming tens of thousands of dollars in different delta).

·
Registered
675 Posts
They are buying back the Demo car at what he bought it for. (doesn't make a whole lot of sense that it had faults with it when it was being used as a Demo).

He doesn't want the cash but rather be swapped into a brand new higher MSRP car and they aren't willing to give him this (I'm assuming tens of thousands of dollars in different delta).
Agreed, but it's not fun getting a defective "new" car. I would expect a little goodwill - sure, it's nice having a free car for a few weeks, but less so being left without one whilst they decide what they're going to do about it. I would have hoped that they could find another demo car, perhaps with a slightly better spec, by way of an apology.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
no reason they cant swap for a non demo car it is basically the dealer holding things up on not wanting to discount new non demo car

i have has the same problem myself with a 570 spider demo

·
Registered
788 Posts
Agreed, but it's not fun getting a defective "new" car. I would expect a little goodwill - sure, it's nice having a free car for a few weeks, but less so being left without one whilst they decide what they're going to do about it. I would have hoped that they could find another demo car, perhaps with a slightly better spec, as was of an apology.
Formally lemoning a car is a long drawn out process with the owner of the car stuck with it being in limbo the entire time. Basically, any exotic car can be lemoned (my state the car just has to be down for 30 days cumulatively in the first 18 months of the warranty clock starting). That 30 days might have had the car only been worked on for a couple of days. Most of it is waiting (especially when the the service department has to make time for unexpected visits).

My friend lemoned a 488 (he thought it was unsafe. it was clear cut as the car had been down for more then 30 days). it was an 8 month process to formally have it lemoned and get his money back. He had to keep paying the lease payments in the mean time.

If a car gets formally lemoned (manufacture steps in and contributes any money to the buy-back of the car) then it will carry that stigma on its title forever). Very few if any exotic cars are lemons. They meet the lemon requirement because they are down for xx amount of time over a certain period.

Manufacture treats it different if it is a true lemon or a lemon because it was down for a certain period of time.

They will offer compensation (cover your lease/finance payments while the car was down), or have the dealer buy it back and find another comparable car for you from that or another dealer (this obviously takes time), or just buy back the car from you and adjusted for mileage use outright.

I don't even see what the problem is in this case... other then he might not get a car at the same price. A demo car, especially at this stage will have a deep discount. They won't give him a car that would be ten's of thousands of dollars higher then the one that he had and a bump up for his troubles, which isn't troubles at all if they are buying back the car (it doesn't even seem to be a lemon from his description anyways).

·
Registered
788 Posts
What do you mean by this - what exactly have they communicated to you, and how?
not to talk on his behalf but there was another poster on here who was going to lemon the car (windshield cracking issue) and part of that agreement was going to be that he would never be able to buy another Mac car again (he declined to lemon). Manufacture will only go down this type of road if it is eligible to be lemoned but isn't really a lemon.

·
Registered
431 Posts
is mclaren so butthurt when a client lemons a car that they black list them? seems like a capricious attitude and don't think it can actually be legally enforced.
also,some here are jumping to conclusion about op's angle to end up with a better car if a buyback/trade is done.
Dimmitt is far from being a stellar mac dealer imo. Having dealt with their service department, i can give you first hand experience to their lackluster customer care. I would never buy from them ,much less get service from them!
OP,perhaps this is a blessing in disguise...

·
Registered
140 Posts
not to talk on his behalf but there was another poster on here who was going to lemon the car (windshield cracking issue) and part of that agreement was going to be that he would never be able to buy another Mac car again (he declined to lemon). Manufacture will only go down this type of road if it is eligible to be lemoned but isn't really a lemon.
Doesn’t make sense - if it’s a legitimate lemon they should take it back and why would they then blacklist him for buying another car due to their poor workmanship?

If it’s not a lemon - don’t agree to buy it back. If they blacklist you in this scenario either way you aren’t going to be getting a new McLaren ever again.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Doesn’t make sense - if it’s a legitimate lemon they should take it back and why would they then blacklist him for buying another car due to their poor workmanship?

If it’s not a lemon - don’t agree to buy it back. If they blacklist you in this scenario either way you aren’t going to be getting a new McLaren ever again.
Lemon laws generally have two components. If it is the same problem and it has recurred 3 times and it cannot be fixed. The other component is how long your car is down for in a certain period (in california it is 30 days total in the first 18 months of the warranty).

The lemon laws are made for the everyday car that we use to go to work, drive our kids to school, etc. The everyday car is mass produced and multiple dealers of those marques are in everu city with a vast supply of mechanics/techs and availability of parts. It would be very rare for your car to be down for 30 days as there would be minimal wait time for a tech to get to your car, get the part and have the car back to you.

Now; exotic cars are different. Like the regular everyday car; they won't have the same problem 3 or more times. However, just about every exotic car will meet the criteria of being down for 30 days. If you get your car to the dealer, then it sits until they get to it. This could take a week or more (2019 was difficult from what I gather because of the airbag recall) to get an appointment. They eventually take the car in, diagnose it, get warranty approval, order the part if need be. Your car goes back out into the service lot. Part comes in then they schedule it back in and then repair the car). It is very easy for an exotic car to be down for 30 days in the first 18 months of the warranty period. They may have only worked on the car for 2 to 3 days of that 30 day period.

Now; if like the o.p.; it is more body work and if anyone has been in an accident then they know how long it takes to get the parts for body work (a long time).

If you try to lemon a car that meets the downtime criteria then the car isn't really a lemon even though legally it is. If you don't take other forms of compensation from them and try to lemon a car that isn't really a lemon then they will probably ban you from buying any new cars (without you knowing about this) or make an agreement with you that you won't buy any Mac car going forward (this is in the case where it is legally eligible to be lemoned, you won't take any other compensation and they think you are trying to find a way out of the car that in their eyes isn't really a lemon). Note; if the manufacture thinks it is a lemon due to a good number of problems that have existed then it is a different situation.

Just an example; I do know of a person who lemoned a 12c after he drove it for 23,000 miles. it met the 30 day lemon test very early in its life. However, person drove it for 23,000 miles and then decided to lemon it and the calculation performed to see how much was due to him was when the car was eligible to be lemoned and not when he actually lemoned it (the miles was around 1,000 when it could have been lemoned so he got all of his money back even though he drove it for another 22,000 more miles). This particular person I'm referencing also lemoned a Porsche turbo s.

Not pointing to the original O.P. but there is a good amount of this that happens that most of us are not aware of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have, the car would qualify shortly for the lemon law since they have told me that repairs a will take 3 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you mean by this - what exactly have they communicated to you, and how?
The car has been there for 2 weeks, just to finally get the answer that it cant be fixed. I would not have that info if it was not for me constantly calling about it. All I want is another car, if it is a demo fine, just replace the car, I have 600 miles on it. Apparently there is a shortage of coupes, so they are going to let me know what the buy back will look like next week. They have not even commited to a full repurchase yet. Really has customer service.

·
Registered
431 Posts
a car cannot be fixed? does this mean the carbon tub is actually damaged as well?
There's more to this story than just a door mounted improperly!
mclaren's or dimmitt's way of blowing you off as a customer,previous unreported damage,,etc,etc...??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow that is so unacceptable, really sucked to read this. Its such an amazing car to drive but horror storys sadly doesnt end about 720s mainly in Mclaren world. I truly hope things get sorted out for u man.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The car has been there for 2 weeks, just to finally get the answer that it cant be fixed. I would not have that info if it was not for me constantly calling about it. All I want is another car, if it is a demo fine, just replace the car, I have 600 miles on it. Apparently there is a shortage of coupes, so they are going to let me know what the buy back will look like next week. They have not even commited to a full repurchase yet. Really has customer service.
Are you talking to the dealer, or to McLaren North America (Pat)?

·
Registered
259 Posts
This sounds like another questionable dealer practice, here In Canada a dealer will buy and ship another car from another dealer other side of the country to accommodate a customer, it's just good practice so your choices are vast instead of few. Shortage on coupes ????? that is questionable.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well, as long as he gets made whole, I don't see the problem. Plenty of 720S on the market to choose from if he wants another one. I honestly don't even think it makes sense to buy a demo these days unless it's your dream spec. Barely used cars are like 100K under sticker now. Might as well just buy one of those.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts