McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking. The CPU/memory of IRIS 2.0 are a bit of a dud.

The screen is ok (400x800 multitouch), so that could stay.

But we have a 500mhz'ish processor. maybe 348MB of memory and a pitiful 4GB of storage. All running on an ancient 2.3.7 of android.

So I hypthotesize we could either a) get a more modern parrot system (since they seem to make our unit) or otherwise source more modern hardware, and copy many of the programs off our current system, and put them on the upgraded home-brew system.

So wondering how doable folks think this is, and how interested they might be.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I simply won't spend any money on it. But for me, I have not put aftermarket electronics in a car in probably 15 years. I have a cassette deck in my early Gen Viper!

Frankly, I kind of like telling everyone I can't talk to them via phone when driving. To some extent getting lost is a good thing. i don't need this car to be a rolling iPad.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's cool kverges. It's my only ride, so it being a jack of many trades is useful to me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
So I've been thinking. The CPU/memory of IRIS 2.0 are a bit of a dud.

The screen is ok (400x800 multitouch), so that could stay.

But we have a 500mhz'ish processor. maybe 348MB of memory and a pitiful 4GB of storage. All running on an ancient 2.3.7 of android.

So I hypthotesize we could either a) get a more modern parrot system (since they seem to make our unit) or otherwise source more modern hardware, and copy many of the programs off our current system, and put them on the upgraded home-brew system.

So wondering how doable folks think this is, and how interested they might be.
I was actually thinking along these lines earlier.

I'm really surprised that McLaren didn't spec higher end hardware to start with, although
I don't know what their lead times are like.

I wonder if we could start with just cracking open the existing Iris 2 unit and being able
to update the OS, add or remove apps, etc.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
jkheit,

the hardware is the current top of the line from Parrot. I do not understand the setup either though, it would be easy enough to source better hardware and there is no issue with changing any software underneath since it would still be ARM Cortex processors.

Doing your own hardware setup is going to cost you quite a bit. simply for testing reasons and such. Sadly not so easy... Considering what I have learned about the Parrot system in the last 2 weeks, I am honestly considering developing my own car system for aftermarket and licensing to manufacturers, but I honestly am not sure how big this market really is. Parrot do not seem to be selling that many units themselves.

Also, faster hardware is needed really only for video. For the rest, the speed is totally fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Does the Parrot / IRIS 2 setup talk to the other computer bits in the car (like the ECU)? If it does, that might be a bit of a challenge to keep that connectivity without library support from McLaren.

Looks like there is some info on the Parrot side as part of the Open Source updates they've made. I think I had posted this before... Not sure how much it will help in putting together a system from scratch, but it might help in "investigating" the Parrot system a bit more.

https://www.devzone.parrot.com/repositories/browse/oss-fc6100/McLaren?depth=1&parent_id=891b24e4f7c78264f0dedd3668077b47

-Jamie.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Does the Parrot / IRIS 2 setup talk to the other computer bits in the car (like the ECU)? If it does, that might be a bit of a challenge to keep that connectivity without library support from McLaren.

Looks like there is some info on the Parrot side as part of the Open Source updates they've made. I think I had posted this before... Not sure how much it will help in putting together a system from scratch, but it might help in "investigating" the Parrot system a bit more.

https://www.devzone.parrot.com/repositories/browse/oss-fc6100/McLaren?depth=1&parent_id=891b24e4f7c78264f0dedd3668077b47

-Jamie.
The system is connected to the CAN bus, it does see at least Reverse gear and the CAN bus time. So, likely it could do more, but I am not sure yet.

Also, those files are mainly low level linux/android routines which have nothing to do with the McLaren bits at all.

There is a discussion going on in the closed owners section of the forum because I do not want it out in the open yet, but I can tell you this: I know a lot about the Asteroid installed in my McLaren... a LOT. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I know a lot about the Asteroid installed in my McLaren... a LOT. ;)
I figured as much :D but I couldn't remember where I had posted to Open Source update stuff from Parrot. If it does anything to improve the odds that a FabianOS based Infotainment system is available by the time I become an owner, I'm all for it!

-Jamie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts