• Yes

• No, but I want to/plan to soon

• No

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is a weird topic for a McLaren group, but was curious if others might be into this. I would expect the McLaren demographic to have low (or zero) numbers on this, but what the heck, might be interesting/fun.

Anyone else interested and grow some of their own food? Or even just making cool aesthetic/gardening?

I've had some apple and plum trees, and one interesting hybrid tree that produced oranges and mandarins on the east coast. The Apple tree would produce a lot every other year. The plums seemed to produce like once every 3 or 4 years. We didnt use pesticides so harvest was always a race between us and the bugs, and would end up calling neighbors over to pick all they wanted because they would over produce so much. The hybrid tree didnt produce much, tough climate for it, but it was still young.

My friend had a great grafted/hybrid orange/lemon/grapefruit tree and it produces regularly (he has the advantage of being in florida).

Food Plant Fruit Tree Citrus

Now I'm in Texas and thinking of planting Pomegranate, Sumo Oranges (they are amazing and stupid expensive), Pears, Peaches, Cherries. Not sure if I can grow raspberries in this climate. Also will grow some vegetables. Probably just some basics, peas, carrots, tomatoes etc.

A few of my friends have huge peach tree production this year, so everyone in their neighborhood is making peach pie, peach jam, peach jerky, etc., but a lot of their produce is low because of weird weather over a lot of the US.

Anyway, do you guys grow any of your own stuff, plant your own gardens (even ones just for aesthetics)? Would be great to hear and see how your 'crops' are doing this year and what works for you and what you like!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got an apple tree and a crabapple tree, a strawberry patch, and some blueberry bushes for fruits. The apple tree was growing some fruit this year but I think a strong wind storm knocked all of my growing apples down. I got strong blueberry and strawberry production last year, but that was probably because the birds were so busy eating cicadas they didn't bother my fruit. This year, I tried to protect my blueberries with a makeshift chicken wire barrier but it was too late and the birds forced their way around it anyway ¯\(ツ)

Next fruit I want to add is a Paw Paw tree, which doubles as a host plant for Zebra Swallowtail butterflies. May also try growing muscadines (native grape).

I also grow milkweed so I can raise Monarch butterflies with the kids and that has worked out pretty well for the last 3 years though.

Also, put up bee houses for Mason bees, they are far more efficient pollenators than honey bees, particularly for orchard trees.
Have you seen the mason bees making use of it?

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, put up bee houses for Mason bees, they are far more efficient pollenators than honey bees, particularly for orchard trees.
I recently read up on this type of bee, I think from New Zealand, Manuka, and it's honey has a lot of highly antibiotic and supposedly health properties. Not sure you can get them over here, my guess is not. Pretty pricey stuff as far as honey goes.

I might look into the bee thing at some point. I think they also have people that can bring, set up, and manage bee hives on your property (some people use it for tax reasons, but others just want it to help the foliage/crops/etc I guess).

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I recently read up on this type of bee, I think from New Zealand, Manuka, and it's honey has a lot of highly antibiotic and supposedly health properties. Not sure you can get them over here, my guess is not. Pretty pricey stuff as far as honey goes.

I might look into the bee thing at some point. I think they also have people that can bring, set up, and manage bee hives on your property (some people use it for tax reasons, but others just want it to help the foliage/crops/etc I guess).
Mason bees don't produce honey, only honey bees do, and the vast majority of bees are solitary. The bee house is very simple, just hang it in February, the bees will fill it with nests during March and early April while efficiently pollenating your trees, then they die. The following year they'll hatch and do it all over again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts