McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm having a big issue. My car won't move anymore. My keys unlock the car and lock the car open the trunk etc, but when I try to start the car with either key, it tells me the keys cannot be detected. Car is currently block the entry to a public parking. It's 11pm and this sucks! Any advice?

I can't even undo the parking brake!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put the key BEHIND the console where the cupholders are.
Keys are separated! Tried putting the key in the back of the cup holder. Still not detected!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If everything else works but keys aren't detected(I.e. Battery is fine) then I think you are in serious trouble. I had the same issue last summer in my Coupe. It was a defective Body control module. You will need to get it towed to the Dealer.

Good Luck and I hope I am wrong!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Try not to have two keys there at the same time. Hit the lock on the key. Walk far away. Then come back with just one key and unlock it. If it doesnt work, repeat same, but come back with the other key.

Keep the on your lap for when you try to start it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
From the manual on page 179:

If the key fob battery has become discharged, and the engine will not start.
Place the key fob on the section of the cup holder housing immediately behind the switch panel.
Replace the key fob battery at the earliest possible opportunity, see Replacing key fob battery, page 182.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Also, the car may be "confused" and best thing might be to shut it down, hit lock so the mirrors close up, then walk away from the car and dont go near it for at least 20minutes so the car "shuts down". Then come back and give it a try.

By the way, are you stuck in the city. If you need some help, I can come by. Just send me a PM Jerome.

Again, good luck and let us know how it turns out. Hope it all sorts itself out and sorry to hear of the trouble. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all. I'm guessing that both my keys are decharged. Of not its a problem with the receiver. I was able to start the car by removing all my junk from the cup holder and then putting the key in 10 different positions and it finally started.

I love this forum!!! :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hooray! Glad it worked out.

BTW P182 of the manual shows how to replace the battery. Just pop the key open (after you get home and park it safe) and yank the battery and get a replacement.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Now I know why Ferrari doesn't install cup holders :)
It's much cheaper for owners to fit their own. Blonde, brunette, etc. having one installed at the factory could be quite costly post delivery. Most owners would not be very sensible when specifying the cup holder during the order, bolstering, fabric covering, contrast stitching, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
It's much cheaper for owners to fit their own. Blonde, brunette, etc. having one installed at the factory could be quite costly post delivery. Most owners would not be very sensible when specifying the cup holding during the order.
True!

I never even knew there was a cup holder in the Mac until a few weeks of ownership.

All I cared about was watching the needles spin :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello I'm having a big issue. My car won't move anymore. My keys unlock the car and lock the car open the trunk etc, but when I try to start the car with either key, it tells me the keys cannot be detected. Car is currently block the entry to a public parking. It's 11pm and this sucks! Any advice?

I can't even undo the parking brake!
Jerome,
My car is going back for service this monday if you wanna head up to phily.
I had a KEYLESS ENTRY FAULT. GO TO MCLAREN SRVICE CENTER message.
Has another message about KEY FOB DETECTED IN LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT or something.
I had them change the batteries on both key fobs last time, but still getting the issues.
Yesterday, I was stuck after getting a hair cut for 3-5 minutes trying to start the car.
It didnt recognige my swipe quite afew times at first so I double clicked the unlock button to pop the door open. Then car wouldnt start. It wouldnt even turn the engine. And when it did start finally, it would shut off real quickly. But thats the most recent message I got. Ive gotten the KEY IN LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT afew times already. But the key was always in my hand.

Anyway, maybe you should call the dealer and tell them. But first, I would have them replace all batteries if u r at the dealer. If not, replace them yourself if this is ok to do on your own.

I felt kinda stupid TRYING to get into my car while people are watching. Especially trying to start the car. Even worst, Id hate to be stuck somewhere, especially far from home.

Anyway, if your local mclaren is in philly (matt is a great guy), let me know, if you like, we can go together. Be prepared to leave it there. Ask for a loaner. U gotta call them now. Or they can pickup your car up for ya and drop back off to you.

Did your mac display any messages though? It would be helpful for them.
Car shouldnt need to be started up by placing key near cup holder unless it is a low battery in keyfob issue. You should have them replaced as son as possible and see if it happens again. If it does, definately bring in for service. Especially while its still under warranty.

lc

·
OWNER
99 Posts
Wow what an ordeal you had to go thru. Good idea to carry a spare battery in the car. Anyone know which battery it needs?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts