McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
McLaren San Francisco are hosting an event at Laguna Seca on June 20th. I'm excited but at the same time I have zero track experience.

I need to get a helmet and track day insurance, anything else I'm missing?

In general what should I expect and any other tips for a first timer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Owner
166 Posts
  1. Do not let the electronic/auto handbrake engage after your laps.
  2. Try and do 1-2 cool down laps.
  3. Keep an eye on your tyre pressures.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Take instruction, it pays off big time.

In the first hour or so everybody goes bonkers, good time to have a coffee if a newbie.

Expect to take most of the day to learn the track lines, braking, turn in, apex and exit points.........with instruction this is much easier.

Expect to get tired so have a break.

Finally, take instruction.

·
Owner
166 Posts
Don't go out on track:
  • the first hour
  • the last hour
  • The first 15 mins after lunch break
Like roundincircles said, get an instructor.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Plenty of videos on youtube to help you get familiar with the track. A good tire pressure gauge and lots of Water/Gatorade help.

If you ZERO track experience then I would go with Sport/sport mode. If you have time: Buy "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez. Easy Read and great for beginners

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262

Good Luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try to be super smooth with all your inputs...gas, brake, steering. When you focus on the track line and being gentle with your inputs you end up going faster without putting yourself or the car in a bad place.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you are new to the track environment, a coach is crucial. Track driving is a different skill from what you've been doing your whole life. You will learn much quicker and safer with an experienced coach.

The one pointer I'd offer: driving on a track is alot like sking--keep your eyes elevated, and look far ahead to where you want to go. It is very hard to drive well looking cone to cone.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Hopefully you have clear bra installed.

Keep the window down and wave on others to pass.

Forget about speed and shifting gears.

If there are no instructors - suggest sitting it out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Keep it in "auto", don't worry about shifting.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Surely they must be providing instructors for a Dealership sponsered event. They can't seriously be THAT dumb.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Look where you want to go, don't turn off traction control, don't go faster than you are comfortable with, baby steps, make sure you are having fun!, and good luck with the track insurance. And don't try to hammer the throttle down the corkscrew, go nice and easy.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If you go in over the top; do as everybody else does, but never admit, grip the wheel in a death grip, scream f...k me and at the final moment before impact close your eyes. Works for most track jockeys, trust me I cannot tell a lie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts