McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to pick up a 570s. Had some time with a 2018 spider recently and it really sold me on the car. Im torn between a new lease (some of the deals are pretty good if you catch the right timing) vs an early model year purchase.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for changes that have occurred over the years? For example... I know the screen in the 2016 is the 3 lcd vs 1 panel in more current years but I was unsure when that changed (mid 17 I think) and if anything other than the back up camera was impacted by this change.

Id like to make sure Im considering all changes and improvements that have been made along the years. The car Im interested in is a 1 owner car (locally purchased and serviced). Sold again as a lease return

·
Registered
356 Posts
AFAIK that sums up the differences between 2016s and the rest. Good luck with your purchase. I have a 2016 that's been rock solid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AFAIK that sums up the differences between 2016s and the rest. Good luck with your purchase. I have a 2016 that's been rock solid.
I was also looking for a car with the 1 screen, rather than 3. I ended up with a 2016 and the 3 screen setup with backup camera on the center console is actually a better setup to my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you plan on not keeping the car for more than 3 years and trading up etc etc you can lease a new unit or even a new unit that’s a previous model year at a pretty competitive rate and have a full warranty.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the single screen version - but honestly there is zero difference between the 3 screen and 1 screen. Not as if they redesigned the instrument graphical display or added additional features and functionality to take advantage of it.

Putting the backup camera in the instrument display was stupidity, its more or less unusable - as soon as you turn the wheel you cant see the display anymore. Not sure how that design got signed off by McLaren.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an '18 Spider that I purchased slightly used and it has been amazing! I tend to shy away from exotic leases.. I would almost prefer to find a slightly used car and not worry about miles and wear and tear (not that it would apply to a Mac). Prices are very favorable on 18's and not much has changed on the newer models, that would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the single screen version - but honestly there is zero difference between the 3 screen and 1 screen. Not as if they redesigned the instrument graphical display or added additional features and functionality to take advantage of it.

Putting the backup camera in the instrument display was stupidity, its more or less unusable - as soon as you turn the wheel you cant see the display anymore. Not sure how that design got signed off by McLaren.
I noticed that during my trial. Clarity and size worked well compared to the Huracan that I had some seat time in but the wheel blocked the view every time. For that reason I was thinking it would have been better in the center screen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an '18 Spider that I purchased slightly used and it has been amazing! I tend to shy away from exotic leases.. I would almost prefer to find a slightly used car and not worry about miles and wear and tear (not that it would apply to a Mac). Prices are very favorable on 18's and not much has changed on the newer models, that would be my recommendation.
Thank you. I have noticed some great 18's out their pre owned. Im in CA and hate the fact that we dont get a sales tax credit AND we really cant write off the sales taxes. for that reason alone I was considering a lease to pay taxes only on the portion of the car I pay for during ownership. Taxes in my county are 9.5%. I do worry about end of lease turn in experience and how costly that can be and I also agree with you on the mileage.... I think the most value out of these type of cars is to drive them often

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. I have noticed some great 18's out their pre owned. Im in CA and hate the fact that we dont get a sales tax credit AND we really cant write off the sales taxes. for that reason alone I was considering a lease to pay taxes only on the portion of the car I pay for during ownership. Taxes in my county are 9.5%. I do worry about end of lease turn in experience and how costly that can be and I also agree with you on the mileage.... I think the most value out of these type of cars is to drive them often
Even with the tax I think you would be better off getting a used one and driving it. We are 3.5% less than you and that is a rounding error if you find the right deal. I feel like you will always get hammered on the lease because of the starting cap cost and the rate. I would buy..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts