McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced a haze building up on their headlights? I find it odd after 16 months and 2K miles that the plastic would look this bad.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a haze building up on their headlights? I find it odd after 16 months and 2K miles that the plastic would look this bad.
It may have something to do with air quality, hence air borne pollutants possibly. Would be a good idea to get your dealership to look into the problem it may also be a flaw, God for bid. Good luck nfs13 and hopefully you'll find a solution to your problem. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Especially after how bad Ferrari handled the Scud / 16M headlights, would have thought McLaren would learn from their mistake. I usually drive with headlights on to reduce it, and always turn on headlights after I wash the car to evaporate out any moisture.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Especially after how bad Ferrari handled the Scud / 16M headlights, would have thought McLaren would learn from their mistake. I usually drive with headlights on to reduce it, and always turn on headlights after I wash the car to evaporate out any moisture.
I just wonder if they are going to have those preventative guidelines written up in the up and coming revised edition of the owners manual. They sure don't make things easy do they, all of that just to prevent what ever it is that seems to be occurring. So is this all due to broken seals and condensation forming in the headlight units I thought it was a haze, or am I misunderstanding what's been described. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That doesn't work with HID's or LED's since they don't generate heat. The HID ballast may get hot but the bulb area won't!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
In certain parameters they do condensate up,if its about a 1/4 to a 1/3 they say its in line with what they expect and it does clear after about 10 minutes of driving,not ideal but it happens! The rears did have many problems in cetain climates and have been upgraded to work better as some early cars did get them shorting out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No haze at all. It's very dry here, however (I'm originally from PA!). I did have that problem with my F430, but here is no sense in comparing a 12C to a much lower class of car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
6 cars at the Spider demo in UK late November all had bad condensation in the lights. All were delivery mileage, weather was cold/wet/sleet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just took the car to a hand car wash to rinse off a light coat of pollen. After a few minutes of spraying the hood I noticed moisture build up in both headlights. Dried the car off and drove home ( about 5 min ). By the time I got home one had cleared, the other almost. Both had cleared in about 15 min. Is this typical? Do they fog up in a hard rain or is this something to raise with the dealer?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Just took the car to a hand car wash to rinse off a light coat of pollen. After a few minutes of spraying the hood I noticed moisture build up in both headlights. Dried the car off and drove home ( about 5 min ). By the time I got home one had cleared, the other almost. Both had cleared in about 15 min. Is this typical? Do they fog up in a hard rain or is this something to raise with the dealer?
Don't drive the car in the rain Tarrow701, honestly though that doesn't sound very good. I would definitely bring the car in and have it looked at, I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me. ?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Don't drive the car in the rain Tarrow701, honestly though that doesn't sound very good. I would definitely bring the car in and have it looked at, I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me. ��
Unfortunatly its normal and the dealership will do nothing as its within the tolerances that have been set,it it doesnt clear at all then thats different,we dont like it but this is the case.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Unfortunatly its normal and the dealership will do nothing as its within the tolerances that have been set,it it doesnt clear at all then thats different,we dont like it but this is the case.
So I guess I was right in saying don't drive it in the rain. So is there a reason why this happens on top which allowing it to happen, and does this happen on every car. I must admit andy c its does raise lots of curiosity indeed. Cheers....??

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
So I guess I was right in saying don't drive it in the rain. So is there a reason why this happens on top which allowing it to happen, and does this happen on every car. I must admit andy c its does raise lots of curiosity indeed. Cheers....����
Ken its not rain dependant,more humidity.Yes i know they are pretty much linked but as you know the UK is known for its rain and as a DD for me ive only seen it twice in 19 months :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure about the 12c but the headlights on the McLaren F1 are connected to the AC unit so using the AC cleared moisture in the headlights.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I never knew that headlights where that complicated and difficult to build without issue. It almost sounds like we've regressed instead of progressed in the headlight department, not sure why that is.

Well maybe not I love the LED headlights on my Audi which are problem free and soon we will have the laser headlights on BMW will these proved to be problem free as well, time will tell I guess. Cheers....??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I had McLaren finally look at them, seems to be like stains or something on the inside of the lense. They got approval for replacements so I am happy. The guys at McLaren in Philly are a great service team.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
So I had McLaren finally look at them, seems to be like stains or something on the inside of the lense. They got approval for replacements so I am happy. The guys at McLaren in Philly are a great service team.
Just got my car last week. Used with 4k miles. Noticed both my headlights have these issues. Hope my local dealer steps upas yours did to get them replaced!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts