McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with what bit rate works best with the Meridian system? Also file extension flac, aiff, wav or alac.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Don't know if I'm going to be much help but;

We were thinking that the new updates would allow FLAC and I was all geared up for it but, it didn't happen so I've gone back to my 160gb Ipod but now I've started re-ripping using Apple lossless. It obviously works fine and the quality is very good since the updates. It was on shuffle the other day and tracks from Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the key of life' came on, sounded excellent and that was one of the albums I've re-ripped at lossless. I've decided it's the most convenient way to deal with my tunes for now.

Doesn't really answer your questions about the other file extensions but, hope it helps.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've just ripped my CDs at the highest I could for MP3 and play off a USB stick.
I have some previous wav files on the stick but haven't noticed if it played them or not as I usually have an assortment playing.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
I've just sent off a request to client services that they consider FLAC as well, latest manual page (attached) I got sent doesn't include it. Gave them same feedback last year when I took delivery.
Choices are actually pretty limited if you want highest quality AND to take advantage of full browsing and album artwork.
WAV and AIFF (aka Apple lossless) are lossless, but don't contain any meta data (album covers, titles, albums, artists etc). WAVS work and play really well BUT the system only recognises them as discrete 'songs' and treats the filename as the song title which makes navigating and selecting by album all but impossible.
MP3 contains the metadata but is compressed and lossy (which won't do justice to the Meridien system which as we know isn't very forgiving of poor quality source material)
WMA/ASF I have very limited experience of and I'm not sure if they do contain metadata.
The other formats are I think native to linux or unix systems so about as useful as the radio.
All my current collection (15,000 odd tracks) are in FLAC lossless format for use on my Sonos setup at home. At the moment I convert FLACs into WAVs for the albums I want on shuffle and just play off a USB stick.
FLAC would be perfect compromise (are you listening Woking?), open source, high quality lossless, smaller file sizes than WAVs AND contain metadata necessary to properly navigate IRIS and display artwork.

Short answer for the o/p :
if your priority is browse and play tracks by album or artist you can only use MP3 so rip it as high a rate as possible with as little compression as possible but you probably won't do justice to the Meridien's quality.
if your priority is sound quality then use WAV or AIFF, but you'll have to do some clever naming of your filenames to get anything vaguely browsable.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Don't know if I'm going to be much help but;

We were thinking that the new updates would allow FLAC and I was all geared up for it but, it didn't happen so I've gone back to my 160gb Ipod but now I've started re-ripping using Apple lossless. It obviously works fine and the quality is very good since the updates. It was on shuffle the other day and tracks from Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the key of life' came on, sounded excellent and that was one of the albums I've re-ripped at lossless. I've decided it's the most convenient way to deal with my tunes for now.

Doesn't really answer your questions about the other file extensions but, hope it helps.
Ditto. I did a lot of experimenting with file formats, different bit rates, etc. and eventually came back to ripping my CDs using Apple Lossless via iTunes, then syncing to my iPhone. Track names, album art all work perfectly and sound quality is excellent on Platform 10 Meridian. Only thing is that the song files are much larger than mp3, but with the 64GB iPhone 5, not much of an issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've got most of my stuff in FLAC, but its easy to convert. Meridian's own gear supports FLAC, as does my Denon in the house. More fiddling then! Not even going to bother with the iPhone!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and to get something truly superb, try buying a HD FLAC album from www.hdtracks.com , just bought Bob Marley's Legend album that has been remastered, sounds like it was recorded yesterday!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Great .Album Must take a look at the HD site

·
Registered
691 Posts
I remember when all I had to do to guarantee quality was make sure the heads in my Nak Dragon were clean and that I had a fresh supply of TDK MA-R, Maxell UD-XLII (or XL II-S).

Digital tomfoolery has ruined everything. <expletive> 13-year olds are dictating mixing quality (for $8 earbuds). Of course you don't need more than 1kb song files for that level of suck. Oh wait - I guess being able to get 20,000 songs worth of crap in a package the size of a box of smokes is ultimately more important than having any of it sound good.

I quit smoking three days ago. <walks out slams door>

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I remember when all I had to do to guarantee quality was make sure the heads in my Nak Dragon were clean and that I had a fresh supply of TDK MA-R, Maxell UD-XLII (or XL II-S).

Digital tomfoolery has ruined everything. <expletive> 13-year olds are dictating mixing quality (for $8 earbuds). Of course you don't need more than 1kb song files for that level of suck. Oh wait - I guess being able to get 20,000 songs worth of crap in a package the size of a box of smokes is ultimately more important than having any of it sound good.

I quit smoking three days ago. <walks out slams door>
Yes, things move on but not necessarily upwards.

I believe you can get electronic Digital Cigarettes now but they are probably made with compressed files!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts