McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently fitted Michelin Super Sports tires on my other car and I was blown away with the performance of Super Sports. Previous tires on were 5 months old Bridgestone Scuderia so it's not 'old' vs 'new' difference. I'm planning on ordering a set for 12C but as we all know they don't offer stock 12C sizes. I'm thinking going wider and shorter with 255/30-19 and 325/25-20 sizes. Has anyone here tried a such set up? Will shorter (smaller overall diameter) tires trigger ECU? I'm 100% confident the tire performance will be greatly improved over P-Zero.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Recently fitted Michelin Super Sports tires on my other car and I was blown away with the performance of Super Sports. Previous tires on were 5 months old Bridgestone Scuderia so it's not 'old' vs 'new' difference. I'm planning on ordering a set for 12C but as we all know they don't offer stock 12C sizes. I'm thinking going wider and shorter with 255/30-19 and 325/25-20 sizes. Has anyone here tried a such set up? Will shorter (smaller overall diameter) tires trigger ECU? I'm 100% confident the tire performance will be greatly improved over P-Zero.
Hey gripforce I'm under the impression the guy at wheel boutique in Florida has done such a thing. He goes by the name of wheelb, suggest you do a search or contact him directly. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
137 Posts
325/25/20 and 255/30/19 is wrong ratio . not saying it wont work but 325/25/20 is smaller than oem 305/30/20 so youll make your rear wheel well bigger and also change your gear ratio. i did 245/30/20 and 335/30/20 .

so using your tire size you'll lower your car and change rolling diameter almost .5" rear and .7" in front might look really funny like your on doughnuts cause the wheel well arches will only get bigger also while lowering car .

·
Registered
560 Posts
im using the 325 super sport on rear and loving them! big diff over stock!
im using Cor 1 piece forged wheels 20x12

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheelb, thanks for the input but I'm not interested in beauty contest. I suspect 245 front and 335 rear would provoke more understeer. No?

Mac1, what size front tire are you running? Have you tracked the car with this set up?

·
Registered
560 Posts
245/30/20 on 20x9 forged wheels.
i have tracked the car a few times already and it sticks like glue. even the factory techs in Philly couldnt believe what a difference the tires made.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm sure that the boys at Woking did all of the research required for proper fitment on this baby. Why mess around with it, if anything I would go to a sticker version of tire, as well maybe a slightly wider rim. Cheer.....??

·
Registered
551 Posts
I do think the Michelin has a better grip, also in the rain, than the Pirelli. I'll soon find out whether that orange light keeps flashing

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wheelb, thanks for the input but I'm not interested in beauty contest. I suspect 245 front and 335 rear would provoke more understeer. No?

Mac1, what size front tire are you running? Have you tracked the car with this set up?
grip , questions is if car holds 335 why would you go 325 when it also going to change you gear ration also since 325 is lower profile. Michelin has 335/30 which is perfect as for front you can try different options i went plus 1 from oem 235 to 245. The car does have room in front for wider as long as your wheels offset is correct .

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Mac1 , questions is if car holds 335 why would you go 325 when it also going to change you gear ration also since 325 is lower profile. Michelin has 335/30 which is perfect as for front you can try different options i went plus 1 from oem 235 to 245. The car does have room in front for wider as long as your wheels offset is correct .
So why didn't the boys at Woking go down that route? Was it due to the sizes that Pirelli could provide in both the Stock P-Zero and the Corsa or are there other reasons. I'm figuring they wanted to keep the weight levels within a certain parameters. I was contemplating doing the same thing going wider on the rear and up front. Now I've opted to go full Corsa with a wider then stock rear rim as well pushing the offset to the max. As for the front end I will be doing the same with one exception, the offset will be changed ever so slightly due to concerns from buffeting. Cheers.....??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts