McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've seen this car in person and it looks absolutely amazing. Would love to see a Heritage Ford GT owner picking this up. Great job McLarenNB!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
looks fantastic. i'm just wondering what's the deal/special with doing Gulf color scheme on cars? is it because of past race cars, heritage or people just like the color scheme?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Its the history, Gulf racing was a big deal back in the day. Octane magazine did a special on the Gulf cars not too long ago. John Wyer was team boss initially?
Earlier this year I got to see a Gulf orange 427 Cobra hidden in a garage, un- restored, 10,000 original miles. It came from the Gulf guys back in the 60s.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
looks fantastic. i'm just wondering what's the deal/special with doing Gulf color scheme on cars? is it because of past race cars, heritage or people just like the color scheme?
Yes - the Gulf livery has been an icon of motorsports for many decades. As you can see from the video above, one man has even amassed an entire collection of the Gulf racers of the past. It makes for quite an impressive display! :cool:

Here's more info and photos of the ROFGO collection:

http://www.atfullchat.com/index.php/features/item/84-adrian-hamilton-rofgo-gulf-collection

The owner has also added an additional McLaren F1 GTR from the 1996 season in Gulf colors to the collection.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
380 Posts
Gulf was a McLaren F1 racing sponsor in 1996. I don't normally like these kinds of paint schemes, but this one is for me a beautiful homage, and to those of us who recall those days of racing in real time, a wonderful remembrance.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Does ROFGO stand for Rolling On the Floor after Gulf Orgasm?? Oh my that collection is so phenomenal ... Would so love to see those up close.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
LOL - yes, I am sure that's it. :D

Actually the video description gives away the name of the collection's true owner - Roald Goethe. I am guessing his middle name might start with an F, and there you have it. ;)

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
691 Posts
Love Gulf livery - everything it stands for - the era it represents. JPS ain't too shabby either, but too elegant for a closed car (needs to be on an open wheeler)...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It still looks best on the 908 and 917.

Off topic but I would love to see Johnnie Walker become McLarens' title sponsor once Vodafone leaves. The cars would look fantastic. Unfortunately it will never happen.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a gulf livery story. When I worked at Galpin in 2005, they took one of their very first Ford GTs and painted it in Gulf Livery (Ford hadn't come out with it yet). I took the car to a car show up in Santa Barbara, and parked it on the lawn fairly far from the parking lot.

You could see it draw people like a magnate. It had the largest crowd around it all day.

Well, in the early afternoon, a very attractive, tall woman, who was dressed quite expensively walked up and eventually pushed her way up to the car. She looked at it for about 10 seconds and then loudly said, "who in their right mind thought these colors worked together? This in hideous!!!"

The tension was palpable as the assembled car guys muttered amongst themselves, no doubt vacillating between their natural car-guy need to lay down a major-league beratement about how little she knew, etc. etc., and their desire to remain in the good graces of an attractive woman. The few wives who were standing around immediately saw it, though, and just started laughing and walking away...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Interested in the carbon fiber rear wing. I haven't seen that before on a 12C but I do love it!
I got the carbon fiber rear wing on my car and the cost was as follows which includes McLaren branding on the sills of the car. So the pricing that was mentioned is not 100% correct but not far off. MSO - Carbon Fibre Airtak Panel and Branded Sill Panels $7,860.00 cdn.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
To be different but still emulate, a 21st century take on the Gulf livery motif would be novel, namely pearly/metallic versions of the light-orange & light-blue hues. It's almost as-if Volcano Orange is begging for such! :D
AugustWest said:
You could see it draw people like a magnate.
Little known fact that Andrew Carnegie was an excellent sketch artist... ;)
Largely known fact that Dale Carnegie had a great many friends... :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts