McLaren Life banner

Guess it's time to stop lurking

5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  SSO 
#1 ·
Hi all. So I 've been just reading and I figure it's time to actually post. Picked up my MP4 a few months ago. It's a fantastic car. Honestly, I don't see why there is such a "this better than that" mentality behind the Mac vs the Italia. Here's a few pics

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice lurker!!,cannot see it your steering wheel is on the correct side,but im assuming from your list that at least your european?? welcome aboard (it is better than the 458 really:D),but maybe not on a sunny day!!

OK,just seen the rest of your pictures,what part of europe?

#3 ·

#6 ·
San Francisco actually. And it's not better than the 458. It's just different. I'll say this though, it grows on you. Coming from Ferrariland at first I wasn't a huge fan. I hated the doors (still don't like the electronic thing), didn't like the enormous door sill, didn't like the fact the electronics didn't work yet (really? jeez), hated the shifter, didn't like the smaller wheel, suspension makes you sea sick, the engine was too jerky snappy when the turbos kicked in. Spent some time on a track with it and a 458 challenge car and now I'm truly starting to appreciate it. In fact, just yesterday I was in the spyder and I couldn't find the gear lever because, duh, it was on the column not the wheel and I thought "hmmm, really belongs on the wheel". And I missed the small steering wheel and the touch screen. As I drive it more, I'm beginning to think of it as a truly great car. I'm even loving the sitting position now. I still believe it's more of a competitor (and superior) to a 911 TurboS. It's a track car that you can also drive to work. I don't know if this makes sense but I don't think it's a better "car" than the 458 but I think it's a better racer. I firmly believe that 99.9% of your random drivers will be faster on a track in the Italia but that teeny percent that is professional will be a good deal faster in the Mac. It's definately more visceral. In any event, they are both wonderful cars and they get along just fine :)

#7 ·

#10 ·
Nah, just happen to have those shots open when you posted so I obliged!
It's TDF. The other one is uh. . . Red.

#12 ·
Dude, how do you live in SF with those cars - I'm terrified of driving on the city with the 12C.

Assuming you bought your car from Alessandro, will you be joining us next month at THill?

#13 ·
Probably. Gotta see what the schedule looks like.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm surprised you didn't like the shifters and suspension (at least initially). Is this still the case??? You're the first person I've heard to say the suspension was "sea sick inducing"

I also believe that the 458 and MP4-12C are not better cars than each other, but rather a bit different. The 458 being more of a weekend fun playmate whereas the MP4-12C can be used and played with all day every day. From what I've heard, they're both fun to drive, but perhaps the Ferrari is a bit more of the traditional supercar feel (on an ultra refined level) that most are used to. Slight bits of oversteer bias, responsive naturally aspirated high revving motor, etc. The MP4-12C may feel more natural to those who have driven modified cars in the past who derive pleasure from the sensation of speed itself, a not so quick steering, and just tons and tons of grip.

They're both great cars and equally good, but the McLaren should be (and likely is) the faster car.
To some that matters, others, not so much

PS, take me for a spin in SF? :) j/k

#19 ·
That is so funny. I just saw pictures of that car from a friend of yours a few days ago. Didn't see the Mac though. Quite creative.

#22 ·
April 2 I think. and no I'm not.

#24 ·
Saw my first FF last week in a sort of battleship grey colour. Hate say it but it looked pretty damn cool working its way through traffic in Singapore

#27 ·
I think people look at the FF the wrong way. You first see "Ferrari" and want to see some screaming track ready monster. This isn't it. This is very much a GT car that you could very comfortably drive 500 miles and not think twice about it. With 4 wheel drive you can take it up for a ski weekend or you could nicely take it to work everyday without the scream or the noise. When you want though it can do that too. It really does do it all and while the styling is questionable, it makes for a very good car to drive everyday. It's just not your weekend warrior or your track car. It's what you take for a more leisurly but spirited drive for a weekend getaway. Heck, mine even has a Video Entertainment system for the back seats!
Anyways, I really like mine.

#29 ·
I think people look at the FF the wrong way. You first see "Ferrari" and want to see some screaming track ready monster. This isn't it. This is very much a GT car that you could very comfortably drive 500 miles and not think twice about it. With 4 wheel drive you can take it up for a ski weekend or you could nicely take it to work everyday without the scream or the noise. When you want though it can do that too. It really does do it all and while the styling is questionable, it makes for a very good car to drive everyday. It's just not your weekend warrior or your track car. It's what you take for a more leisurly but spirited drive for a weekend getaway. Heck, mine even has a Video Entertainment system for the back seats!
Point well made. Most owners have other Ferraris / "exotics" in the garage, so do not need to get sucked in to the looks debate. I see we are similarly open minded :

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.