McLaren Life banner

Who is the greatest F1 driver of all time?

• Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Michael Schumacher

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Alain Prost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ayrton Senna

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Fernando Alonso

• Jackie Stewart

• Nelson Piquet

• Niki Lauda

• Jim Clark

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Fangio

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Other

• Total voters
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Probably would have been Willy T. "Uppity" Ribbs, had he not had to battle overt racism his entire career. Even Bernie thought he was world champion material. Look him up on Netflix.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I would look at it another way.
In the three years he has been driving for Mercedes, Bottas has scored the second-most points of all the drivers. Does anybody think that Bottas has been the second-best driver in Formula One? I doubt it.
Obviously, driving a Mercedes has inflated Bottas's record above where it would have been if he had been driving an average car and thus had been given no advantage over the other drivers.
If that applies to Bottas, surely it must apply to Hamilton as well.
Bottas did Soooooo well in that 2018 Mercedes. Damn he made the Mercedes look like an absolute beast.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Okay, I like your detailed stats. I am not saying Hamilton isn't a good driver, but the best? Let me vote for MS ;-)
Just because I am Germany :)
lol, fair enough - gotta vote for your countryman.. though when Hamilton inevitably surpasses MS in championships, I hope you’ll see him as undisputed!!! ;)

Also, he drives Mercedes... so there is your German connection :)

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
lol, fair enough - gotta vote for your countryman.. though when Hamilton inevitably surpasses MS in championships, I hope you’ll see him as undisputed!!! ;)

Also, he drives Mercedes... so there is your German connection :)

Thanks!

Z.
Yes, the number of championships Hamilton will have won will be undisputed, just as the number of championships that Daniil the Torpedo Kvyat has won (none) is undisputed. Whether Hamilton is or was the greatest-ever is unlikely to be settled on the basis merely of how many championships he won driving the best car and having a good wingman to protect him. ;)

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Yes, the number of championships Hamilton will have won will be undisputed, just as the number of championships that Daniil the Torpedo Kvyat has won (none) is undisputed. Whether Hamilton is or was the greatest-ever is unlikely to be settled on the basis merely of how many championships he won driving the best car and having a good wingman to protect him. ;)
So what is the measure? ;) Without being subjective? Most world titles? Most race wins? Most qualifying P1’s? Most social media followers? Number of fastest all time lap records? As for the constant criticism that “he has the best car” blah blah, let’s hear what Alonso has to say about it...

"He was able to win with a dominant car, with a good car like 2010 or 2012, or with bad cars like 2009 and 2011. Not all the champions can say that"
Fernando Alonso,

So, sounds like the guy has some skills... ;)

What annoys me are the comments that make it sound like he’s using Tesla Autopilot for his races. The guy wins when the car is great, when the car is broken, when the tires are destroyed, when he has to keep a feisty Verstappen off his back. Seriously, someone come up with some statistical proof that he’s not deserving - otherwise it’s just bias.

He’s been winning championships outside of F1 since 2003, so it’s not like he’s been handed the best car and people just get out of his way. This ain’t the fake WWF wrestling afterall ;)

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
So what is the measure? ;) Without being subjective? Most world titles? Most race wins? Most qualifying P1’s? Most social media followers? Number of fastest all time lap records? As for the constant criticism that “he has the best car” blah blah, let’s hear what Alonso has to say about it...

"He was able to win with a dominant car, with a good car like 2010 or 2012, or with bad cars like 2009 and 2011. Not all the champions can say that"
Fernando Alonso,

So, sounds like the guy has some skills... ;)

What annoys me are the comments that make it sound like he’s using Tesla Autopilot for his races. The guy wins when the car is great, when the car is broken, when the tires are destroyed, when he has to keep a feisty Verstappen off his back. Seriously, someone come up with some statistical proof that he’s not deserving - otherwise it’s just bias.

He’s been winning championships outside of F1 since 2003, so it’s not like he’s been handed the best car and people just get out of his way. This ain’t the fake WWF wrestling afterall ;)

Thanks!

Z.
Yes, but that's the way life works, isn't it? Not everything can be reduced to numbers, and thank goodness for that!
If something is subjective, so what? All this stuff is just BS anyhow. Does it matter in the least who was "THE GREATEST" anything?
For the reasons that you cite, we can safely say that Hamilton is one of the all-time best at what he does (that is, at the race-driving; the less said about his attempts to design clothing, the better.)
To go beyond that and say that he - or any other driver - was the single greatest (as in, best) who has ever lived is simply impossible. To think otherwise shows a bias that you otherwise criticise.

Look at the imponderables:
  • Who had the inherently fastest car at the time?
  • How much did the cars' reliability affect the results?
  • How good was the competition at the time?
  • How good was the competition within the team?
  • How many races were there in a season?
  • How many points were available per race and how were they allocated?
  • What extent of danger did the drivers face?
  • Was the driver's career cut short prematurely?
To illustrate the point, one need look no further than Hamilton's recent comments regarding with what team he will sign his next contract. He has made it very clear that his decision will be based on what team he expects will give him the fastest car. Nothing wrong with that, but by seeking that he quite obviously is acknowledging that one's racing success is not only a matter of who is the best driver!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I stick to MS :) Apparently he also taught the italians not to bake pizza in the oven to warm the tires.
And, back in the days we used to say Mercedes are for drivers with a hat, not with a helmet!
Of course, that has changed when MS(!) drove Group C... ;-)

Yes: How do you measure this? Maybe one of the backmarkers would be the best in another car (a Mercedes?).

Keep voting and debating. It's fun!

81 - 88 of 88 Posts