McLaren Life banner

Who is the greatest F1 driver of all time?

• Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Michael Schumacher

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Alain Prost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ayrton Senna

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Fernando Alonso

• Jackie Stewart

• Nelson Piquet

• Niki Lauda

• Jim Clark

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Fangio

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Other

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Thank you for sharing this video with us, eMcL, as it is a perfect illustration of so-called "journalists" who are so stupid that they couldn't find their asses with both hands. The ignorance of the imbecile who wrote the narration for the piece is beyond belief.

Most of the "records" he cites relate to number of races and number of points. Does this clown not know that the points system was changed in 2010 so that since then the number of points available for a win has been 2½ times greater than before? From 1990 to 2009 the winner was awarded 10 points, and before 1990 only 9 points. In the 1950s the winner got just 8. This is not to mention that now they can get an extra point for fastest lap.

Furthermore, this season there will be 21 races. In the 1950s there were fewer than 10 races per season. Not only that but, until 1991, a driver did not even get credit in his annual points total for all his results: in some years it was only the 4 or 5 best results. Even in the 1980s they kept only their best 11 results.

Lewis Hamilton (and the others) came into this season with the potential to score 546 points. In 1966, a typical year, the number of points Clark (and the others) could have potentially scored was at the absolute most 45.

If some teenager wants to think that Lewis Hamilton was the greatest driver of all time, that is his right to do, but for goodness sake it would be nice if people posing as journalists had an idea of what they were talking about before they started creating internet content that innocent readers might be tempted to take seriously.

(n)

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Here we have just today another example of why Lewis Hamilton is a drama queen, a baby in a grown-up's body:

“I only just did this contract and already I have to start talking about potentially the next one, which is frustrating because it is another stressful moment where you have to get into the room, get into the ring, and have a friendly yet intense conversation about terms and all of this kind of thing,”

How pathetic can it get? This guy is moaning because he might have to negotiate a bit over whether he will get paid $50m - a year - or only $45m? Whoa! What rotten luck. One wouldn't want to be in his shoes!

We may never know whether Lewis Hamilton was the greatest driver in the history of Formula One, but he sure as hell wasn't the greatest person.

Poor Lewis whines again

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yes. But in this case perhaps Hamilton is wrapped up in the ongoing commercial negotiations between Mercedes and Liberty Media? Toto the manipulator? And the media willing accomplices...?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Yes. But in this case perhaps Hamilton is wrapped up in the ongoing commercial negotiations between Mercedes and Liberty Media? Toto the manipulator? And the media willing accomplices...?
Yeah, sure - and in his spare time he's designing the diffuser for next year's car.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yeah, sure - and in his spare time he's designing the diffuser for next year's car.
Perhaps expressed poorly on my part — mean’t Hamilton being encouraged to stir up mud (as side show) while Mercedes negotiates the commercial deals and leaks stories that if 2021 Concorde doesn’t go their way they may leave F1 for other sporting opportunities.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Perhaps expressed poorly on my part — mean’t Hamilton being encouraged to stir up mud (as side show) while Mercedes negotiates the commercial deals and leaks stories that if 2021 Concorde doesn’t go their way they may leave F1 for other sporting opportunities.
It would not shock me if Merc were to slim down their racing operations. This week Daimler announced that they are laying off 1,100 managers and will ask the broader work force not to seek any pay rise this year. They announced their first quarterly loss in a decade and lowered guidance on prospective earnings.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yes Mercedes could view a Hamilton 7 and 8th WDCWCC with the existing PU as worth attempting. As you know, PU development and driver salary at this time are not planed to be subjected/ included in the cost cap. A new F1 PU development post 2021 relevant to current industry and legislated emissions reductions to zero for road cars maybe appealing to Mercedes or VAG research - interesting time.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Hmmm??
———————-
GRANDPX.news
PENSKE COULD BUY MERCEDES’
F1 TEAM – SOURCE

Mercedes’ Formula 1 team is for sale.
That is the claim of the German publication Auto Bild, citing the information of a ‘reliable source’.
Correspondent Ralf Bach says the buyer could be Dmitry Mazepin, the wealthy Russian father of a Formula 2 driver, as well as American racing legend Roger Penske.
Penske, 82, has just bought the Indycar series and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Bach says his estimated fortune is $1.6 billion.
Penske’s son Jay owns the Formula E team Geox Dragon.
After a potential takeover of the Brackley based team, Mercedes could then remain in Formula 1 as an engine supplier.
Auto Bild said Mercedes has told McLaren, Force India, Williams and – interestingly – also Red Bull that it can continue to supply engines beyond 2020.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Hmmm??
———————-
GRANDPX.news
PENSKE COULD BUY MERCEDES’
F1 TEAM – SOURCE

Mercedes’ Formula 1 team is for sale.
That is the claim of the German publication Auto Bild, citing the information of a ‘reliable source’.
Correspondent Ralf Bach says the buyer could be Dmitry Mazepin, the wealthy Russian father of a Formula 2 driver, as well as American racing legend Roger Penske.
Penske, 82, has just bought the Indycar series and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Bach says his estimated fortune is $1.6 billion.
Penske’s son Jay owns the Formula E team Geox Dragon.
After a potential takeover of the Brackley based team, Mercedes could then remain in Formula 1 as an engine supplier.
Auto Bild said Mercedes has told McLaren, Force India, Williams and – interestingly – also Red Bull that it can continue to supply engines beyond 2020.
Think this is consistent with McLaren being able to secure merc engines.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Yes Mercedes could view a Hamilton 7 and 8th WDCWCC with the existing PU as worth attempting. As you know, PU development and driver salary at this time are not planed to be subjected/ included in the cost cap. A new F1 PU development post 2021 relevant to current industry and legislated emissions reductions to zero for road cars maybe appealing to Mercedes or VAG research - interesting time.
Wouldn't it be ironic if Merc were to choose to stay in F1 because of the cost cap, rather than in spite of it? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Yes. Wonder if Renault will survive in F1-new group boss, poor financials, and not much business in USA.
The fact that the French state still has considerable influence on what the company does makes it worse. I think Renault has quit Formula One as a constructor on three previous occasions already.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Wouldn't it be ironic if Merc were to choose to stay in F1 because of the cost cap, rather than in spite of it? ;)
Yes. It would seem that the bite of the original cost cap proposed was significantly reduced by cap exclusions and an extension of the use of the existing PU specification. But of course a cap introduction at any level has established the cap principle in F1 and no doubt now will be applied to more elements over time (crying). Mercedes would be interested in participating in development of a ‘zero’ emissions F1 PU if govt. research funding were made available to them. We will see ...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Before I vote I would like that somebody correct me: "Ham only won quite a few of his races beacuse he has the best car and a wingman covering his 6 o'clock." I remember events when Bottas did exactly that. Bottas played the superiority of the car well so that nobody could overtake him, let alone threaten Ham.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Before I vote I would like that somebody correct me: "Ham only won quite a few of his races beacuse he has the best car and a wingman covering his 6 o'clock." I remember events when Bottas did exactly that. Bottas played the superiority of the car well so that nobody could overtake him, let alone threaten Ham.
I would look at it another way.
In the three years he has been driving for Mercedes, Bottas has scored the second-most points of all the drivers. Does anybody think that Bottas has been the second-best driver in Formula One? I doubt it.
Obviously, driving a Mercedes has inflated Bottas's record above where it would have been if he had been driving an average car and thus had been given no advantage over the other drivers.
If that applies to Bottas, surely it must apply to Hamilton as well.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
2019 season:

• Monaco - Hamilton wins, Bottas in 3rd, Vettel in second couldn’t beat Hamilton.
  • Canada - Hamilton wins, Bottas in 4th, Vet and Lec in P2 and P3, can’t beat him.
  • Hungary - Ham wins, Bot in 8th
  • Mexico - Ham wins, Bot in 3rd, Vettel can’t beat him.
  • Abu Dhabi - Ham wins, Bot in 4th, Ver and Lec can’t beat him
So 24% of the races Hamilton wins with Bottas nowhere in sight. Of the remaining, Hamilton won 6 more with Bottas behind him (so 29%). Of the remaining 10 races, Hamilton lost to Bottas, Vettel, Verstappen or LeClerc (not sure if someone else won a race, but those are the main ones).

Considering he didn’t win half the races, but maintained points in each, and won a quarter of the races with his team mate awol, your view might apply to only the remaining quarter, though I don’t think Bottas was there acting as a wingman in most of those (I recall one race where Bottas had no tires and was trying to keep LeClerc I think at bay, but couldn’t ultimately).

Bottom line is he had to work hard for his championships, and in my opinion his racecraft is second to none. All other champions have had advantages, often more so.

Not sure why so many people have to throw in excuses for his wins - winning a Formula 1 race isn’t easy - he lost nearly half of his (10 out 21) in 2019 due to how difficult it is, but he comes out top because he never gives up, and works extremely hard (even Bottas and Russell said so publicly).

Thanks!

Z.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts