McLaren Life banner

Who is the greatest F1 driver of all time?

• Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Michael Schumacher

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Alain Prost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ayrton Senna

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Fernando Alonso

• Jackie Stewart

• Nelson Piquet

• Niki Lauda

• Jim Clark

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Fangio

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course statistics say yes for 2004, but Hamilton is going for 8 WDC .... 202X? :)
Yes, yes, that is the purpose of this poll. Define it how you want to. I personally don't think titles is a good metric for determining who is the best driver. However, I've only been following F1 for a few years so I can't say how I'd rate him.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hmmm such public modesty — unfortunately they are unable to vote on the poll.
I think he knows why he says that ... if you know a bit about Fangio you know he had a sixth sense for the car (it was kind of a superhuman ability to feel the state a car was in and to always only drive it to the edge of its abilities but never above them, so he would finish and the car maybe fall apart 20 meters after the finishing line) - nearly all F1 drivers today are still aware of this, that is why they see him as the godfather of all F1 racing drivers ...

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I think he knows why he says that ... if you know a bit about Fangio you know he had a sixth sense for the car (it was kind of a superhuman ability to feel the state a car was in and to always only drive it to the edge of its abilities but never above them, so he would finish and the car maybe fall apart 20 meters after the finishing line) - nearly all F1 drivers today are still aware of this, that is why they see him as the godfather of all F1 racing drivers ...
Hmmm think most current F1 drivers are too young to have any first hand knowledge of Fangio. I never saw him race except on films ...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hmmm think most current F1 drivers are too young to have any first hand knowledge of Fangio. I never saw him race except on films ...
Its not that exactly (even Fangio himself said there are maybe ppl in his time that are as fast as him) ... However he and all others knew exactly that these ppl did not have that feeling for the car which set him apart ... Michael Schumacher as a trained car mechanic knew that and that is why he said he may break as many records as there are in racing, he would still not be as good as Fangio... Hamilton very probably knows that as well and probably is a bit jealous on this as this cannot be learned ... in all the history of F1 racing there are very few campion drivers who really could also understand the car to that degree (i only recall Fangio, Lauda and Schumacher being able to do that, which is also the reason why Lauda and Schumacher both could transform Ferrari from a tier 2 team at the time they were hired, again to being the world champion team during their respective times ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Such a difficult comparison. Era’s, equipment, training etc...For me it’s Schumacher or Senna...I voted for MS. I’m sure Fangio was tremendous, as was Clark, Ascari and many others...including Hamilton these day. However, I’m not sure when it comes to Fangio if any modern drivers opinion really matters more than our own. Such a different era. Having said that...anyone who raced in those days had stones of steal. 50/50 chance of not finishing the race alive...that takes guts regardless if you were the fastest or not. Major respect to those guys.

The elite, best of the best usually had a ruthlessness about them that wasn’t well liked by their fellow competitors, but it served them well with regard to winning. Sienna and Shuey both had that in spades.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No “homer” poll option for our old buddy Bruce? 😄

I feel like people are supposed to vote Fangio because he did so much when the cars gave the driver so little, but it’s hard to truly vote for someone ive never even seen alive.

Ima go with Senna

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
No “homer” poll option for our old buddy Bruce? 😄

I feel like people are supposed to vote Fangio because he did so much when the cars gave the driver so little, but it’s hard to truly vote for someone ive never even seen alive.

Ima go with Senna
Well if we go away from only using driving metrics we could certainly also include James Hunt ... I am sure there is one or more things he is certainly more outstanding than any other driver in F1 history :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;)

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Lewis... if someone invented a time machine and brought Senna, Fangio and Schumacher here today, from their prime, and all 4 of them raced in identical cars today, I think Lewis would likely beat them all. It’s like when people say George Best or Dalglish or something were the best football players of all time - yet against today’s super toned, highly motivated, football players, they would have circles run around them (real football, not the armored rugby of America 😜).

Back when some of those famous drivers were around the training and competition is nowhere near what it is today. Yes, they were probably more fearless (and crazy?), based on what the had to drive, but they simply didn’t have access to the training the drivers have today - sim racing alone means today’s drivers have hundreds or even thousands of hours more cockpit time than was possible back then.

However, if you want to rate them on their fearlessness, then that’s different (though I think Lewis is pretty fearless too) - for me greatness is all about the whole package, and the ability to perform.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Lewis... if someone invented a time machine and brought Senna, Fangio and Schumacher here today, from their prime, and all 4 of them raced in identical cars today, I think Lewis would likely beat them all. It’s like when people say George Best or Dalglish or something were the best football players of all time - yet against today’s super toned, highly motivated, football players, they would have circles run around them (real football, not the armored rugby of America 😜).

Back when some of those famous drivers were around the training and competition is nowhere near what it is today. Yes, they were probably more fearless (and crazy?), based on what the had to drive, but they simply didn’t have access to the training the drivers have today - sim racing alone means today’s drivers have hundreds or even thousands of hours more cockpit time than was possible back then.

However, if you want to rate them on their fearlessness, then that’s different (though I think Lewis is pretty fearless too) - for me greatness is all about the whole package, and the ability to perform.

Thanks!

Z.
yeah and if you would bring back Lewis to Fangios cars he would boycott driving the car bc the seat is made out of cow leather .... :ROFLMAO: ... so Fangio would even win without racing ...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lewis... if someone invented a time machine and brought Senna, Fangio and Schumacher here today, from their prime, and all 4 of them raced in identical cars today, I think Lewis would likely beat them all.
Let's use your time machine and beam Lewis back to those era and have him race in those equal cars and see the results. Driving those cars at the limit and without the nanny's was harder, not easier.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Let's use your time machine and beam Lewis back to those era and have him race in those equal cars and see the results. Driving those cars at the limit and without the nanny's was harder, not easier.
Not sure about that... I think he'd still give them a run for their money as I believe he is fitter and more experienced than them (based on the tools available to him today). :)

Remember, he's a karting champion too - and in a kart it's very raw, 100mph+ (superkart's can do 160mph, but not sure if he had access to that in his professional karting days). In 2000, at age 15 he won the European Karting Championship - with a fractured scaphoid and his arm in a cast! He is relentless, intensely competitive, and I think there's a good chance he'd still win in their cars.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts

Thanks!

Z.
Yes, but do you not think it is totally asymmetrical to assume that Lewis has the benefit of modern diet, training, testing, telemetry and analytical techniques whilst denying them to earlier generations?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts