McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put a set of the recently available Continental Extreme Contact Sports that are fitted to many of the European Macs. These are far superior to the Pirelli P Zeros I had on there for the last 6K miles. The grip is better they are quieter and have a better tread wear rating. Really transformed the ride of the car.....
IMG_0957.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tread design is very physically similar to the Pirellis... They rubber feels much more dense... Discount tire has them....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Careful not to push the car past 186...noticed there isn't a bracket around the Y.

Now...likely not going to go 186+ on the street, but wanted to point that out just in case!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I saw that. My Pirellis were about 4 years old and were rated the same Y. I was briefly concerned about this so I looked into it a little. Talked to Contential by phone. He stated the two labs performing independent SAE tests test the (Y) tires at 187 mph vs 186 mph to assign the (Y) rating. Didn't give me any additional comfort. He also stated the longer the tread wear rating the longer that tire would maintain its structure under high speeds and temperatures. Contis were tread wear rating of 340 vs Trofeo R's at 60! Ratings are performed on brand new tires only. He said the Y vs (Y) is largely based on what lab or equipment you tested the tire on. If your really want to know what they'll do, look at independent lab "Step up Speed tests". That is where they step the speed up until the tire fails. If you looked these up and studied what happened to a tire when it starts to wear or undergoes many heat cycles you would never drive a car 200 mph again. Best thing I think you can do keep a good eye on your tires and know what kind of temperatures they are getting. Just figured odds of me going 186+ are much smaller than me driving a car with tires less than brand new tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wonder how these compare to the Michelin MP4S tires.
I have these on my car, and they're pretty nice. But, I never had the P-Zero's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure. I hear both are better than the P zero's. The Conti's have a slightly better wear rating...on paper. Think the Conti's and the Michelins are the best street tires for the car. I just couldn't believe the difference in ride getting off the pirellis....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run the Continentals on my mustang and they are fantastic performance wise but in my opinion very noisy for a street tires, but the price is solid. I have Michelin PS4S on the 12c and they offer similar performance to the contis but are substantially quieter albeit at a much higher cost. Both are great tires and both have trade-off. Imo when you drive a care like the 12c, pony up and get the Michelins. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
40 Posts
The speed ratings on tires refer to SUSTAINED speeds, not short bursts. In the real world the difference between a Y and a (Y) would never come into play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts