McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
pretty crazy,, could have been another paul walker type of story.

Im always hesitant to do canyons with copilots or even be a copilot, never know whats going to happen.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Awesome first hand accident experience from an auto journalist! Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an automotive journalist myself, it drives me nuts how many cars are crashed by the press during intro demos. Most of them never make it into the public eye. A man's gotta know his limits...
I wonder if the guy that crashed it was some kind of YouTuber from the UK or something

·
Registered
377 Posts
As an automotive journalist myself, it drives me nuts how many cars are crashed by the press during intro demos. Most of them never make it into the public eye. A man's gotta know his limits...
Road & Track reported that they excluded the 570S (?) from their Performance Car of the Year competition because...they crashed it.

The author was very lucky that the car tumbled and rolled rather than impacting a fixed object. Basic physics:
Average Impact Force = Kinetic Energy/distance. So tumbling and rolling 200 feet applies 1/50th the average force compared to a head-on impact that crushes the car by 4 feet.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Shoulda had Trofeos on it.
I added Trofeo’s to mine - but the level of friction that it adds probably still wouldn’t have saved them - the Corsa’s are 100 TW, the Corsa’s are 60TW, and even though they may have been driving quickly, I can guarantee they did not get them up to the >150F working temp they need to utilize their stickiness (Corsa or Trofeo alike). Remember, even the best tires in the world need a lot of heat in them to 100% adhesion which is nearly impossible to get to on the street.

This is a crazy story though - but very reassuring. I always trusted the Monocell2 on these, and stories like this help. There was that 720 that rolled a few months back with no injuries at all too.

As an aside, that car looks to be spec’d just like mine! Ventura Orange spider.. makes the crash pics harder to look at, but still, reassuring :)

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Okay, just read the follow up article, and I think he was was probably trying to manhandle the car back in to it’s lane rather than feeling the understeer and using the opposing lane. Unless there were other cars there, but I think someone would have mentioned that. Stickier tires and more aero would have helped. 78MPH in these cars is like walking pace, and from the road images shown, the corner radius doesn’t seem insane - a pretty progressive corner - so he might have upset the balance by maybe panicking and overcorrecting back again to his lane.

In the UK it’s super common to use the opposite lane to give you more width as long as you have good visibility on fast national speed limit country roads (which I really miss driving on, incidentally), but road center lines in the UK are almost always broken lines trusting drivers to use the opposite lane when they need to. If a lane in the UK is solid, we typically never cross it as it’s always done for a good reason. The problem with a UK driver driving in CA is that almost all roads are double solid lines! The DoT in CA simply do not trust drivers to make good lane crossing decisions at all, so I could imagine this UK guy seeing the solid lines and freaking out about crossing it. Also, he’s used to right hand drive, so he was completely in unfamiliar territory so his road positioning might have been off too.

Glad the McLaren saved them all!

Thanks!

Z.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts