McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking delivery on March 1st my car was returned early April to Mclaren for some minor adjustments like engine rebuild, gearbox replacement, complete respray and other minor defects. It has been away for 5 weeks at my request due to inability to drive following minor hand surgery.

No, I'm jesting about the defects, just door rehanging, indicator stork replacement and heater software upgrade.

What I can't jest about is the cars impact on it's return, like I have a new car. The engine delivers in spades with instant explosive acceleration, so smooth and predictable that I am now getting comfortable with those tight overtakes.

But, the car's absence has dulled the brain as I had forgot to hit the Active button......what an engine and chassis......

Seriously it's taken 3000 miles to become just a little familiar and comfortable with exploiting the cars performance. Still keep hitting the start button instead of the active button.....and it calmly says the speed is too high to activate the stop engine button.....love Ron's attention to detail.

·
Owner
166 Posts
I know how you feel. My car came back this morning (pre track check up etc). Ready for Spa this weekend.

I hadn't used my 997 Turbo (DMS 640bhp) or 599 HGTE since I purchased the MP4 last month.

You going to Spa? or doing Silverstone on the 28th?.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how you feel. My car came back this morning (pre track check up etc). Ready for Spa this weekend.

I hadn't used my 997 Turbo (DMS 640bhp) or 599 HGTE since I purchased the MP4 last month.

You going to Spa? or doing Silverstone on the 28th?.
It's an unfulfilled ambition to go to Spa and Silverstone has become a favorite, since it's latest redevelopment,and has to be good for the MP12.

I will be motorcycling down to WSB in Misano/ San Marino Italy and miss the MP12 fun but booked on the Castle Coombe day and then taking my MAC to the Dolomites and Lakes in July.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Having just spent two weeks driving through Europe for the first time, let me just say, you guys have some AMAZING roads, and I no longer doubt the Top Gear guys statement that without a doubt, the best driving roads in the world are here.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, just travel the 'green line' roads on Michelin maps and you will be in driving heaven. Pyrenees , Picos, Andalusia , Dolomites, Alps, Wales, Scotland..........

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy, couldn't agree more. On my way up to Scotland in the Mac cut across from Rippon to Hawes. Beautifull scenery and cheese, bought some Wedneslydale:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, couldn't agree more. On my way up to Scotland in the Mac cut across from Rippon to Hawes. Beautifull scenery and cheese, bought some Wedneslydale:)
you will like this RIC, as a 17 year old i went on a cycling trip in the dales,i stopped off at Hawes and thought i would ring my father reverse charges.!! (red phonebox)
I would have loved to see my fathers face,as i heard the telephonist ask if he would accept a reverse charge from a hawes phone (true story)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy, lovely story.

I called directory enquires and asked for a number in Bath. She said you mean Barth. I said tell me what is a cross between a Hoarse and Donkey. She did larf but I laft!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts