McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gorilla glass is excluded under the Mclaren extended warranty. I know several people whos gorilla glass has cracked multiple times and was replaced multiple times (myself included).-The dealer price is about $4000 per panel. What is everyone going to do once their OEM warranty expires? If the part is replaced under OEM warranty, the warranty on the part expires when OEM warranty expires. If you pay for the part, then it is warranteed for 2 yrs. Perhaps car insurance glass replacement will cover it and then you are good for another 2 yrs???

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would've hoped that mclaren would've extended warranty coverage on this known issue. shame!
Nope. All glass is specifically excluded per extended warranty documentation as are accumulators and "any known design defects" per the warranty documentation

·
Registered
45 Posts
unfortunatly this is where mclaren is lacking behind the competition. they have a flaw
in their design, and they are gonna just stick it on the consumers

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does this effect only 720’s ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gorilla glass is excluded under the Mclaren extended warranty. I know several people whos gorilla glass has cracked multiple times and was replaced multiple times (myself included).-The dealer price is about $4000 per panel. What is everyone going to do once their OEM warranty expires? If the part is replaced under OEM warranty, the warranty on the part expires when OEM warranty expires. If you pay for the part, then it is warranteed for 2 yrs. Perhaps car insurance glass replacement will cover it and then you are good for another 2 yrs???
Replace with oem carbon fiber roof panel. Gets rid of any future potential for cracking.

unfortunatly this is where mclaren is lacking behind the competition. they have a flaw
in their design, and they are gonna just stick it on the consumers
It's the 3rd party warranty company trying to minimize expenses and maximize their profit. I would imagine they lost a healthy chunk of money from covering all the failed accumulators and other "known issues".

Does this effect only 720’s ?
I've seen a Senna with a cracked roof glass.

·
Owner
489 Posts
The glass coverage on certain insurance company policies could work.
I thought it only applied to "front" windshields though, right?
Has anyone been able to get a side window or even rear window or top windows replaced under insurance coverage?

Reactions: napoli

·
Registered
2019 720s Volcano Yellow
83 Posts
Does anyone know how much the carbon fiber roof panels are? I am sure they are very expensive. Maybe someone will make an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know how much the carbon fiber roof panels are? I am sure they are very expensive. Maybe someone will make an aftermarket solution.
The gloss visual carbon panels are roughly 2.5x the cost of the OE glass per side. The biggest headache currently revolving doing such a conversion, is the interior "headliner" trim pieces for the L/R sides need to be replaced and are almost always on backorder.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
mine runs out february 2021... i am currently 65% let it expire... they eliminated so much from coverage like glass, accumulators.... even my service guy said they are increasingly eliminating certain things which they deem as wear and tear... not sure i will get my 11k worth of repair work to even break even...

probably in january i will have them do a complete review of car... there are a couple of minor items i will warranty... then pray for next 3 years until 720 replacement comes out

the warranty has become too restrictive

Reactions: tb993tt

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The glass coverage on certain insurance company policies could work.
I thought it only applied to "front" windshields though, right?
Has anyone been able to get a side window or even rear window or top windows replaced under insurance coverage?
Not sure. Need to check into this.

·
Registered
459 Posts
mine runs out february 2021... i am currently 65% let it expire... they eliminated so much from coverage like glass, accumulators.... even my service guy said they are increasingly eliminating certain things which they deem as wear and tear... not sure i will get my 11k worth of repair work to even break even...

probably in january i will have them do a complete review of car... there are a couple of minor items i will warranty... then pray for next 3 years until 720 replacement comes out

the warranty has become too restrictive
I too have to seriously consider this. I opted out on extended my 458 warranty which was about $11k and I ended up saving $8k. The only cost was a blown strut because of a nightmare pothole. Otherwise the car was flawless for the 2 years out of warranty.

Now the my 720s spider while it has been reliable there have been several annoyances such as cracked windshields, gas cap falling off, panel issues etc. None of which I believe would be covered under the extended warranty. I have always said I would not own a Mclaren out of warranty but now that I'm finding out there are so many exclusions I'm questioning whether it makes any sense buying it??

·
Registered
303 Posts
I too have to seriously consider this. I opted out on extended my 458 warranty which was about $11k and I ended up saving $8k. The only cost was a blown strut because of a nightmare pothole. Otherwise the car was flawless for the 2 years out of warranty.

Now the my 720s spider while it has been reliable there have been several annoyances such as cracked windshields, gas cap falling off, panel issues etc. None of which I believe would be covered under the extended warranty. I have always said I would not own a Mclaren out of warranty but now that I'm finding out there are so many exclusions I'm questioning whether it makes any sense buying it??
It doesn’t have a gas cap.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Doubt it would work well. The stress in the glass is probably Stronger than what The plastic film would hold.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What if you apply the windshield protection film on the gorilla glass (inside and outside), will it minimize the cracking issue?
Doubt it would work. Perhaps you could work on an aftermarket replacement? There will be a big market for these when OEM warranties expire.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I put PPF on mine (exterior only) when the car was new. PPF certainly won't prevent stress cracks, but it should help avoid tiny rock chips that might act as a lead point for stress cracks.

My car (2018) has not suffered any GG cracks - but it mis-ordered with the standard roof and the glass tops were therefore retrofitted at McLaren Houston during PDI. Glass panels they sourced were made by Isoclima which I think was not the original supplier, and their glass guy might have done a better install/gluing than the factory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have the Gorilla Glass crack and park it in the rain, followed by water penetration then you may be able to make a case for a lemon depending on your state. I would certainly try for it especially if they are not fixing the issue but simply replacing the part and not fixing the problem and THEN not allowing that part to be covered under the extended warranty so the cost falls to you the consumer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts