McLaren Life banner
881 - 900 of 918 Posts

· Premium Member
4,300 Posts
totally agree, but gearbox on F1 wasnt great, and neither were the brakes...
and i think Gordon has publicly said he doesnt care about laptimes or 0-60 that is not what the cars are for.
and i approve of that message
In fairness, the gearbox was fine (indeed noteworthy for its shift mechanism and innovative in its transverse orientation) for a road car. It was vulnerable to the abuse of a 24-hour race, but it was never designed for that.

· Premium Member
4,300 Posts
Yes, although those are known weak points that Gordon wasn't satisfied with on the F1. Particularly I remember that the brakes had to be rated for repeated stops from top speed, requiring very specifically hard pads.
Not really that hard - standard on the cars were Pagid blues, which are nowhere near the hardest pads around. The issue with the brakes was that, in order to save weight, Gordon insisted on having the first monobloc aluminum calipers, and the metallurgical technology of 1993 was not quite good enough.

· Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I saw a three seater, central driving position new english car today.
it wasn’t a GMD car.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

· Premium Member
2,367 Posts

· Registered
2022 765LT Spider
751 Posts

Any news pertaining to the start of production or expected first drives from those able to attend Quail and bother GM for updates? ;)
Had a chat with GM at Quail and he said they are running roughly 6 months behind due to supply constraints (blah blah). He said he expected to see cars on the road in roughly 6 months...Can also expect 3 more ‘variants’ after they start delivering the T.50 and T.33. Spider version etc...Run of 100 each.

Time will tell I guess...but they won’t officially announce the variants until they start delivering on their first two cars...

· 2012 MP4-12C
10,331 Posts
Had a chat with GM at Quail and he said they are running roughly 6 months behind due to supply constraints (blah blah). He said he expected to see cars on the road in roughly 6 months...Can also expect 3 more ‘variants’ after they start delivering the T.50 and T.33. Spider version etc...Run of 100 each.

Time will tell I guess...but they won’t officially announce the variants until they start delivering on their first two cars...
Ok, I get a spider version of the T33. How does a 3 seater spider work/look!?! That will be super cool!

· Registered
2022 765LT Spider
751 Posts
Ok, I get a spider version of the T33. How does a 3 seater spider work/look!?! That will be super cool!
I asked this very question...GM said...’Could be interesting, you never know.’ But then I spoke to another person from GMA and he said it’s not happening. So...who do we believe? I have a feeling it’ll only be the two seater...I think the 3 seater is too special...IMHO.

· Registered
84 Posts
That is very interesting, a spider version of the T.50 would be insane. GM said in the past that the T.50 is done with the 100 they are building. T.33 would be 3 versions, the normal coupé version and he didn't know the other 2 back then. Not that I can afford any of them but out of all of the super/hyper cars I'm the most interested in the T.33, T.50 and GMA in general.

· Registered
212 Posts

The car was supposed to start production in January, so 6 months behind schedule would be July 😇. If it's still another 6 months away, then that would be 13 months. With them already up to pre-production cars I was hoping we might see the start of production this year, but I guess not.

Spyder versions of the T.50 indeed never were the plan and GM even said that he would never do something like that (increasing the number of cars after the fact). It would be interesting if there was a spyder version but I hope there isn't and GMA stick to their principles over reaching for easy cash.

The Spyder version of the T.33 was always planned, though.

· Registered
2,428 Posts
881 - 900 of 918 Posts