McLaren Life banner

381 - 400 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Im sure the fan would be of some use for the vehicle or otherwise it would not be used. I personally would have used two smaller fans to reduce that fan footprint visually... What would be interesting is if the fan could move up or down angle wise similar to modern fighter jets and their jet nozzle...
It doesn't generate much thrust. Thrust vectoring would be heavy to implement and in this situation, would result in issues with uneven underbody flow (biased mass airflow due to angled props)

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,330 Posts
I agree, not a fan of the fan aesthetic. But it seems to do some useful stuff, so it is what it is.

That said, am I the only one that thinks there is somewhat of a 12C vibe to the clean tidy looks of it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Yes... T50 copied the 12C.... lol. Honestly
I agree, not a fan of the fan aesthetic. But it seems to do some useful stuff, so it is what it is.

That said, am I the only one that thinks there is somewhat of a 12C vibe to the clean tidy looks of it?
Thats what I think too. Design wise it has been similar between the F1, T50, and the 12C. Ironically all three didnt sell too well initially....lol I think even without the fan, and all its benefits would be a fun car.... You figure at that weight with slightly less downforce wouldnt really hurt performance too much.... Would have made it visually cleaner even... like a 12C... lol

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes... T50 copied the 12C.... lol. Honestly

Thats what I think too. Design wise it has been similar between the F1, T50, and the 12C. Ironically all three didnt sell too well initially....lol I think even without the fan, and all its benefits would be a fun car.... You figure at that weight with slightly less downforce wouldnt really hurt performance too much.... Would have made it visually cleaner even... like a 12C... lol
IMO, some of the styling looks quite dated, but clean, except for the fan. I love the central driving position. It does have some neat touches, and the design focus is great, but, IMO, it doesn't look that good. I'd buy it for driving though, if I could afford it and bring myself to drive a manual (at this level).

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,330 Posts
IMO, some of the styling looks quite dated, but clean, except for the fan. I love the central driving position. It does have some neat touches, and the design focus is great, but, IMO, it doesn't look that good. I'd buy it for driving though, if I could afford it and bring myself to drive a manual (at this level).
I disagree. The more simple, the more timeless the look. I think the 12C has aged way better than it's counterparts. The F40 looks one step off from the Miami vice parachute pants styling of the testa rosa. The F1 still looks great. It's simple and classic.

That said, I totally appreciate that this is all highly subjective stuff. But do think a lot of designs most people find to be timeless/classic fall in the category of being very simple.

That doesn't make it better though. The Countach is not simple, and highly dated looking, but still looks great as a counter point. However, the Miura is super old, looks a bit dated, but is so simple, in a lot of ways is still beautiful and starts to achieve that timeless beauty vibe.

One is not necessarily better than the other. Many will still prefer the outrageous looks of the Countach. So viva la difference!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I disagree. The more simple, the more timeless the look. I think the 12C has aged way better than it's counterparts. The F40 looks one step off from the Miami vice parachute pants styling of the testa rosa. The F1 still looks great. It's simple and classic.
I mostly agree - I prefer the 12C's styling to all other McLarens. I agree that the F1 has aged much better than the F40, but does, IMO, still look old (in photos at least). The T50's lines don't flow quite like the 12C's, IMO. The nose looks a little older than the rest too.
That said, I totally appreciate that this is all highly subjective stuff. But do think a lot of designs most people find to be timeless/classic fall in the category of being very simple.

That doesn't make it better though. The Countach is not simple, and highly dated looking, but still looks great as a counter point. However, the Miura is super old, looks a bit dated, but is so simple, in a lot of ways is still beautiful and starts to achieve that timeless beauty vibe.

One is not necessarily better than the other. Many will still prefer the outrageous looks of the Countach. So viva la difference!
Agreed. I'm particularly partial to the Porsche 904 GTS. The T50 doesn't come close, from a styling point of view, IMO. In fact, I prefer the F1's styling to the T50's. It may look better in person, and I'm not in the target wealth group :(. It is meant to be a driver's car though, and the styling has been compromised to make it more practical, IMO.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #391

Agreed. The 12c will continue to improve visually over time because of its not in the moment type styling. Unfortunately, most of what sells has been designs that are period appealing but wear off its appeal ( helping brands sell newer cars) The Countach on the other hand visually has been timeless not through classic lines but its disregard for traditional silhouettes and curves for sharp and angular edges that just defy supercars of many eras... in a sense it was the first true exotic out there because of such a departure. I personally love both design approaches... not mutually exclusive...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I mostly agree - I prefer the 12C's styling to all other McLarens. I agree that the F1 has aged much better than the F40, but does, IMO, still look old (in photos at least). The T50's lines don't flow quite like the 12C's, IMO. The nose looks a little older than the rest too.

Agreed. I'm particularly partial to the Porsche 904 GTS. The T50 doesn't come close, from a styling point of view, IMO. In fact, I prefer the F1's styling to the T50's. It may look better in person, and I'm not in the target wealth group :(. It is meant to be a driver's car though, and the styling has been compromised to make it more practical, IMO.
i think many designs from the 1990 and early 2000 look quiet dated in the meantime (XJ220, EB110, nearly all Lambos, all 996 and other Porsche versions from that time till the 997) ... cars which still look good and will likely keep that are the F40,F50,F1,Z8 ... interior wise they all look old beside maybe the Z8 ...

in Mclarens line up i see some cars to age better than others (namely: C12, 675LT, 720s, P1 and Senna) ... the 650s and most Sport Series I don’t see to age that well) ... later ultimate series cars (Speedtail and Elva will also probably age well and are very unique) ...

regarding the T50 I think the car could have a little more drama optically but somehow it’s very unique back could also become iconic ... the front is a bit less drama than what I would find fitting for a car of that caliber but overall it’s a nicely looking car (however the F1 look wise is superior, especially the upgraded ones)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
At this point, Im eager to see the side mirror placement / side camera placement... Wonder how regulations in the US may make even temporary side mirror appendages to allow importation of the vehicle as i think cameras are not yet legal here....

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
So there will obviously also be a sport version of the T50 just if the normal one might just feel like a sloth sometimes :ROFLMAO: ...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
At first I thought that was a digital rendering by a nonofficial source. Impressed with the change for racing. Won't stand a chance against something like Valkyrie Pro, but that's a serious machine. Probably quite fun to drive. Like a hyper F1 GTR

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
At first I thought that was a digital rendering by a nonofficial source. Impressed with the change for racing. Won't stand a chance against something like Valkyrie Pro, but that's a serious machine. Probably quite fun to drive. Like a hyper F1 GTR
well first there needs to be a Valkyrie Pro (current situation at AM might be a problem) ...

Second the stated data of this are very serious:

From what I read so far (posted by someone who seems to know/get the car)
700++ hp
Below 890kg weight
Df above 1400kg (not sure at which speed)

This makes a Senna GTR look like a family sedan in comparison ...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
well first there needs to be a Valkyrie Pro (current situation at AM might be a problem) ...

Second the stated data of this are very serious:

From what I read so far (posted by someone who seems to know/get the car)
700++ hp
Below 890kg weight
Df above 1400kg (not sure at which speed)

This makes a Senna GTR look like a family sedan in comparison ...
Yeah, Valkyrie might not happen. Just saying a ground up no rules LMP type design would be in the realm of 1100 hp, 800 kg, 3500+ kg downforce. But almost none of the customers could drive something like that, lol

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yeah, Valkyrie might not happen. Just saying a ground up no rules LMP type design would be in the realm of 1100 hp, 800 kg, 3500+ kg downforce. But almost none of the customers could drive something like that, lol
Yeah that’s about 919 EVO values

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks for that article, very informative. I friggin love Gordon's info. 1500 kg downforce, impressive for a small surface area car like this without a tiny 1 person cabin. I imagine the drag reduction mode from the fan will come in handy on straights.

I wonder if someone could strongarm Gordon to make a version with wheels/tires capable of taking the full 1900 kg downforce.

381 - 400 of 441 Posts