McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm typing this without knowing if I will actually hit the Submit button. If it weren't for some PMs encouraging me to participate, I wouldn't bother to break my vow to leave this forum forever.

Car guys are passionate - this much is certain - but, honestly some of you guys really need to step back and ask yourselves are you really so negative, or is the forum itself winding up mal intent that doesn't normally exist in your persona. This current hypercar feud is making the 458 vs 12C saga (of which I was a heated participant, myself) seem like it was produced by Disney.

wtdoom - I consider you a friend and fellow enthusiast in spirit, even though we have never met. However, I'm worried about your recent amping up against McLaren, to the extent of calling Ron an IDIOT in caps? Perhaps the company did something to you that I am not aware of? Or perhaps the rebuttals against Porsche have spurred you on? Surely, you must realize that from the sidelines, the passion for McLaren that you are so quick to chastise some members for, appears near identical to the fondness that you have yourself for Stuttgart? I can no longer get a read on you, as you keep claiming your objectivity, but I can tell you, mate, it's looking like a very personal thing as of late, which I did not expect from you.

Speaking of which, Napolis, I'm convinced you are now the world's wealthiest Internet troll. :) First your about-face on Ferrari, now the constant thread after thread, post after post ridicule of McLaren? Most of us have shown genuine enthusiasm for your privateer efforts and the reward is to flip 180 degrees and start antagonizing the company and its supporters? Genuinely puzzled on that one, good sir. Perhaps shame on me for believing that some of your past exploits indicated that you were a more genuine car guy, not somebody out to manipulate facts and figures to serve his own interests. I do wonder if you have now been snubbed by both Ferrari and McLaren and thus found that this community is your way to strike back? Is that likely to be fruitful and worthwhile?

Woppum, your passive aggressive stance on everything is quite transparent and quite tiring, to be honest. It is familiar in nature to every Ferrari fan that has wandered over here over the past 3 years to see what they can stir up. You are simply the latest, not the last. Your stated intent here is not believable, I'm afraid. Shame since if doom vouches for you, I trust that you are a genuinely good guy.

citylad and widow are cut from identical cloth. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same person. To come into a community of any sort, be it a town, school, Internet forum or whatever, and have absolutely nothing to contribute except hate and controversy is the epitome of poor decorum. You were not raised properly, or else somebody did something to you when you were very young that you need to go work out with a counsellor, instead of trying to heal yourself on the world wide web.

I'm actually very sorry for this - especially to doom, as I really think maybe you are just getting caught up in it, rather than having your true colours show as with some of the others. But this forum has become utterly useless to me, so at least it will be on record as to why I left, should anybody actually care. :(

I never expected or wanted this place to be a group of lemmings, blindly loving the brand, as doom puts it. And truthfully, I don't think it ever has been. I wished it would have remained a place for car guys from all walks of life to come and celebrate a shared passion for anything on four wheels and, in particular but not necessarily, those from Woking. I don't love McLaren blindly; there are many things I wish Ron and his team would have done better, to date. But I find myself not even wanting to mention them on this forum, for reluctance to add to the piling on. That tells me that this is not McLaren Life after all. To be dead honest, if I did work for McLaren, there would be a legal notice in the mail right now instructing the forum owner to remove the word McLaren from the title and URL. There is nothing constructive going on here, lately. Just negativity and self-serving grandstanding. I know that is true because since I stopped posting I actually felt some negative pressure slide off my own shoulders, which has confirmed to me that it was the correct decision.

Some of you I have been fortunate to meet by email and I hope you will stay in touch. And I do apologize in advance for the inevitable offence that some will take to this post. I realize that it will sound beyond uppity. But honestly, my hope for most of you is to forget about arguing in this place. Go meet each other in real life, share some beers, talk about chicks and sports cars and just get along like you know that you most likely will if you meet face to face. This Internet isn't all that it is cracked up to be. You are all (most of you) car guys. We are a dying breed and if we don't enjoy each others' company, we'll just die off that much faster, along with the great cars that made us enthusiasts in the first place.

Adios and best of luck. :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Dude, please do not go. At least lurk to see if things improve. You are the most level headed genuine car buff I've had the pleasure to meet (if only via forum) and frankly will make this place so much lesser.

But hoping this finds you on happy trails 6th.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Interesting post. I have many of the same concerns, with the same individuals, as does the OP. It has led me to be far less active on this forum than I used to be, or might otherwise be. While there is still sometimes useful information posted here, it has been largely crowded out by a handful of "pay attention to me" serial posters. Thus the time invested vs. amount and quality of information I find here -- to say nothing of the annoyance of skimming the dross -- has become largely unfavorable for me.

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
My apologies and I hope you reconsider.

It looks like we need to re-evaluate our approach on Moderation and how this community is developing. So far we have taken a very light/hands off approach. It looks like we have now gotten to the size and in a situation that a different approach needs to be taken.

More to follow on this.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
A well reasoned assessment in many respects. I will miss your contributions here 6th. :(

Stick to what makes you happy - like driving. :)

>8^)
ER

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
6th

This is a sad day for this forum. I have always appreciated your informed research and technical discussions 6th. Wishing you continued success.

David

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm typing this without knowing if I will actually hit the Submit button. If it weren't for some PMs encouraging me to participate, I wouldn't bother to break my vow to leave this forum forever.

Car guys are passionate - this much is certain - but, honestly some of you guys really need to step back and ask yourselves are you really so negative, or is the forum itself winding up mal intent that doesn't normally exist in your persona. This current hypercar feud is making the 458 vs 12C saga (of which I was a heated participant, myself) seem like it was produced by Disney.

wtdoom - I consider you a friend and fellow enthusiast in spirit, even though we have never met. However, I'm worried about your recent amping up against McLaren, to the extent of calling Ron an IDIOT in caps? Perhaps the company did something to you that I am not aware of? Or perhaps the rebuttals against Porsche have spurred you on? Surely, you must realize that from the sidelines, the passion for McLaren that you are so quick to chastise some members for, appears near identical to the fondness that you have yourself for Stuttgart? I can no longer get a read on you, as you keep claiming your objectivity, but I can tell you, mate, it's looking like a very personal thing as of late, which I did not expect from you.

Speaking of which, Napolis, I'm convinced you are now the world's wealthiest Internet troll. :) First your about-face on Ferrari, now the constant thread after thread, post after post ridicule of McLaren? Most of us have shown genuine enthusiasm for your privateer efforts and the reward is to flip 180 degrees and start antagonizing the company and its supporters? Genuinely puzzled on that one, good sir. Perhaps shame on me for believing that some of your past exploits indicated that you were a more genuine car guy, not somebody out to manipulate facts and figures to serve his own interests. I do wonder if you have now been snubbed by both Ferrari and McLaren and thus found that this community is your way to strike back? Is that likely to be fruitful and worthwhile?

Woppum, your passive aggressive stance on everything is quite transparent and quite tiring, to be honest. It is familiar in nature to every Ferrari fan that has wandered over here over the past 3 years to see what they can stir up. You are simply the latest, not the last. Your stated intent here is not believable, I'm afraid. Shame since if doom vouches for you, I trust that you are a genuinely good guy.

citylad and widow are cut from identical cloth. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same person. To come into a community of any sort, be it a town, school, Internet forum or whatever, and have absolutely nothing to contribute except hate and controversy is the epitome of poor decorum. You were not raised properly, or else somebody did something to you when you were very young that you need to go work out with a counsellor, instead of trying to heal yourself on the world wide web.

I'm actually very sorry for this - especially to doom, as I really think maybe you are just getting caught up in it, rather than having your true colours show as with some of the others. But this forum has become utterly useless to me, so at least it will be on record as to why I left, should anybody actually care. :(

I never expected or wanted this place to be a group of lemmings, blindly loving the brand, as doom puts it. And truthfully, I don't think it ever has been. I wished it would have remained a place for car guys from all walks of life to come and celebrate a shared passion for anything on four wheels and, in particular but not necessarily, those from Woking. I don't love McLaren blindly; there are many things I wish Ron and his team would have done better, to date. But I find myself not even wanting to mention them on this forum, for reluctance to add to the piling on. That tells me that this is not McLaren Life after all. To be dead honest, if I did work for McLaren, there would be a legal notice in the mail right now instructing the forum owner to remove the word McLaren from the title and URL. There is nothing constructive going on here, lately. Just negativity and self-serving grandstanding. I know that is true because since I stopped posting I actually felt some negative pressure slide off my own shoulders, which has confirmed to me that it was the correct decision.

Some of you I have been fortunate to meet by email and I hope you will stay in touch. And I do apologize in advance for the inevitable offence that some will take to this post. I realize that it will sound beyond uppity. But honestly, my hope for most of you is to forget about arguing in this place. Go meet each other in real life, share some beers, talk about chicks and sports cars and just get along like you know that you most likely will if you meet face to face. This Internet isn't all that it is cracked up to be. You are all (most of you) car guys. We are a dying breed and if we don't enjoy each others' company, we'll just die off that much faster, along with the great cars that made us enthusiasts in the first place.

Adios and best of luck. :)
6th Why let some one make you give up something you enjoy & love STAY ! apart from you missing us we will miss YOU :cool: :D :p :confused: :D:D:D:D:D:D
MY FAMILY MOTTO IS REFUSE TO LOSE YOU SHOULD ADOPT THIS MOTTO

·
Registered
765 Posts
I say get rid of certain members that are obviously trolling or are constantly spouting rubbish. Even if you block them they still seem, more often than not, to set the agenda.

I'd rather the more quality members such as 6th stay and the others get the boot.

·
Registered
232 Posts
6th--I do feel you've made quite a good point about the general tone and vibe of the forum. I do find myself surprised by the approach many have taken to the car/brand in the forum. I would hope that the car/brand is just a fun hobby. Any of these cars have their ups and downs--part of the game--if you don't find this stuff amusing, drive something else. Similarly, on the financial side of the equation: does it really surprise anyone that driving an expensive car can be expensive? From my POV, it would be more fun if the center of gravity would return to the cars, and skip the sturm und drang.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Interesting post. I have many of the same concerns, with the same individuals, as does the OP. It has led me to be far less active on this forum than I used to be, or might otherwise be. While there is still sometimes useful information posted here, it has been largely crowded out by a handful of "pay attention to me" serial posters. Thus the time invested vs. amount and quality of information I find here -- to say nothing of the annoyance of skimming the dross -- has become largely unfavorable for me.
+1 - took a break, as some people noted, from the site - came back to even more craziness.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I say get rid of certain members that are obviously trolling or are constantly spouting rubbish. Even if you block them they still seem, more often than not, to set the agenda.

I'd rather the more quality members such as 6th stay and the others get the boot.

I couldn't agree more. This is a tough decision for the moderators but IMO has to happen if we want to discuss things McLaren. The constant brand bashing is destructive. Its one thing to discuss displeasure with the brand but IMO it should be in the spirit to help and aid the mission of the brand. If one has disdain for McLaren, go somewhere else. Like the brand you like for a start. The HATERS have to good. They provide no productive purpose. :mad:

·
Registered
824 Posts
If it wasn’t for Mclarenlife, our memorably trip to the Ring would never have occurred.

Anonymous names and handles became reality.

If it wasn’t for Martin (McDc) being on the forum and all of his hard work, again, we would never have got together as a group of owners.

Forums are very intransigent places, but populated by real people, albeit usually hiding behind pseudonyms.

To me this is very poignant, as without Mclarenlife I would have never have met and enjoyed the company of Squirrel (Phil Baxter) on two occasions.

Still reeling at his untimely departure, but without Mclarenlife, I would never have had the opportunity to have met him in the first place.

6E, without you I never realised that carbon was the sixth element.

Understand your position and hope you will return one day

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's sad for me to see folks whose car opinions I really respect either leave or stop posting, especially HyperMac, Treynor, marin12c and the others I have met on drives or at track days, not to mention the numerous guys from the UK and Europe from whose vast automotive knowledge I've learned a lot. To have them essentially forced out by immature fools like citylad and widowmaker spouting drivel and venom is particularly galling.

I encourage the moderators to publish some behavioral guidelines and then enforce them. As we have seen, just giving 24 or 48 hour "vacations" to the most offensive posters is not working.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
If it wasn’t for Mclarenlife, our memorably trip to the Ring would never have occurred.

Anonymous names and handles became reality.

If it wasn’t for Martin (McDc) being on the forum and all of his hard work, again, we would never have got together as a group of owners.

Forums are very intransigent places, but populated by real people, albeit usually hiding behind pseudonyms.

To me this is very poignant, as without Mclarenlife I would have never have met and enjoyed the company of Squirrel (Phil Baxter) on two occasions.

Still reeling at his untimely departure, but without Mclarenlife, I would never have had the opportunity to have met him in the first place.

6E, without you I never realised that carbon was the sixth element.

Understand your position and hope you will return one day
The whole dynamic of the forum progresses when members meet. I am also a member of the Ford GT Forum and we meet through periodic rallys. A very productive forum aiding the pleasure and experience of owning a FGT. :)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Too much thin skin around these parts. It's one thing to be trolled and irritated, but another thing to have hurt feelings. God forbid any of you guys post a video on YouTube with comments enabled.

The best thing to do is just ban the trolls and non-contributors. Everything else is fine in my opinion. It's unfortunate that it turned to what it did, but that tends to happen on brand-specific forums.

One thing that I will say though is that the P1 forum needs clean up! Too much cross talk. The threads are way off topic and too big. I think it just turned into a cluster fuck of people wanting to talk about one thing, reading something unrelated they didn't like, arguing, rinse and repeat, snowball --> people annoyed pissed off. I blame it getting started with widow trolling every thread.

It doesn't happen so much in the 12C section because the threads are way smaller or specific. Naturally there will be less P1 owners and less individual threads, but when you have these giant threads, they just decay into a pile of garbage. Everyone gets caught up in everything.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's sad for me to see folks whose car opinions I really respect either leave or stop posting, especially HyperMac, Treynor, marin12c and the others I have met on drives or at track days, not to mention the numerous guys from the UK and Europe from whose vast automotive knowledge I've learned a lot. To have them essentially forced out by immature fools like citylad and widowmaker spouting drivel and venom is particularly galling.

I encourage the moderators to publish some behavioral guidelines and then enforce them. As we have seen, just giving 24 or 48 hour "vacations" to the most offensive posters is not working.

im new here but ive been a member of other forums for over a decade and the first thing i noticed when i joined here made me wonder: does this site have moderators at all?
no offense and im sure the mods are all good intentioned but i really think they need to learn a few things from other more established forums. i thought this forum was going to be more exclusive, like the brand and at a higher level than other forums, but so far its been pretty disappointing. too bad really but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
6th, I feel much the same way and is why I've really cut back on participating here. widow and citylad have ruined what should be a great resource and the other members such as doom and co, fairly obvious where their stick is in the mud and it's getting tiresome. Opinions from both sides are needed here but it's turning into schoolyard crap, less intelligent discussion and more insults and vitriol.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.