McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if fellow owner's were interested in this? Since I try hard to share my Exotic's with people less fortunate, we could share stories of giving people rides, letting them sit in our cars, etc.

I think this would make a cool Sticky thread.

For example, I went to see my buddy who owns a car dealership here on Saturday. Parked next to a pickup truck in my 16M. Owner of the truck came out with his wife and son and commented that I just increased the value of his truck 10k by parking next to him. I asked his little boy if he had ever sat in a Ferrari before (sorry don't have the 12C here yet). So I opened the door and picked up the young boy and put him in the driver's seat so the parents could take a couple pics. Told the boy you are lucky, I did not get to sit in a Ferrari until I was 40 years old.

Or we could also mention how other fellow owner's / enthusiasts have helped us. Such as taking personal time to go inspect a car for someone we have never met, etc.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I came back out to my car after an evening meal to find two very young lads and their mother stood next to my car, the kids couldn't believe that they were actually stood next to the car as they had only ever seen them in Top Gear magazine and at the TG show.
She inquired if it was OK to take a photo (couldn't stop them from taking one anyhow) so I promptly popped the door and invited them to take a photo call.
This was my first weekend with the car!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is another:

Am heading to Vegas on Sunday, and messaged Falb about possibly meeting. He will be racing on Sunday and offered to have me be his guest out at the track. Unfortunately I will be arriving mid-afternoon, and the track event will be over by then. But I thought it was extremely cool he would do that for someone he has never met before. Maybe next year I can plan to come out earlier.

These Forums are great.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am waiting for one of the McLaren hardcore fanatics to post something like: Hey the other day I went for a drive and put this Ferrari owner out of his misery. ;)

·
Administrator
2,722 Posts
When I was out in the Mosler in early 2012 I stopped to pick up a few groceries. Coming out of the store was a teenage guy and his girlfriend starring at the car. He politely asked me what type of engine it had, how many bhp, etc. When I opened the scissor door he went wow so I asked him if he wanted to take a look inside. Huge smile on his face as he stuck his head through the open door. He then asked if I minded if he took a picture of his girlfriend next to the car. I told him sure and offered to let her sit in the drivers seat. Not sure which of the two was more excited but they both went off giggling and with huge smiles. Whole thing probably took 3 minutes but I am sure it made their day.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An ongoing Good Deed. 5 hours of phone time so far assisting a gentleman from Texas on purchase of a 16M.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I once taught a lady from a transport company how to drive a McLaren F1 so she wouldn't fry the owner's clutch. That felt like a good deed given they only last a few thousand miles as it is and are hardly cheap to replace.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I once taught a lady from a transport company how to drive a McLaren F1 so she wouldn't fry the owner's clutch. That felt like a good deed given they only last a few thousand miles as it is and are hardly cheap to replace.

>8^)
ER
I got a better one for you: Accepted Friend Request from this nut job Ferrari Lover on Facebook! ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I gave a ride to a 65 year old guy who had a dream of racing around the track, in my Radical and by lap 3 he was about to puke in his helmet. He loved every second of it and it took 30 minutes for him to get out of the car.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gave a ride to a 65 year old guy who had a dream of racing around the track, in my Radical and by lap 3 he was about to puke in his helmet. He loved every second of it and it took 30 minutes for him to get out of the car.
Lol, that is awesome! He will never forget that!

·
Administrator
2,722 Posts
I will admit to getting some amusement trying passengers green when giving them a ride around a track. Thought I was pretty good at this until a friend told me he had a guy crap himself.....

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I got a better one for you: Accepted Friend Request from this nut job Ferrari Lover on Facebook! ;)
I don't mind the Ferraris so much - but that brash V12 Lambo leaves me questioning what you're compensating for? :p

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't mind the Ferraris so much - but that brash V12 Lambo leaves me questioning what you're compensating for? :p

>8^)
ER
I never owned a V12 before, so I bought one! ;)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
At least it's blue. ;)

Now back to good deeds.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
So that means that in just over three years from now I'll be sitting in a pool of vomit in my Mac, unable to climb out?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
So that means that in just over three years from now I'll be sitting in a pool of vomit in my Mac, unable to climb out?
Well you could always get the interior of your car wrapped, this way you won't have to worry about that and may I suggest that you being the driver wear a wet suit if sorts. Lol....

·
Registered
380 Posts

>8^)
ER
I think that maybe you saved her business.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I will admit to getting some amusement trying passengers green when giving them a ride around a track. Thought I was pretty good at this until a friend told me he had a guy crap himself.....
I take it that was his last good deed!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My next door neighbours 11 year old son is a complete petrol head so I took him for a spin early one Sunday morning.

We were blessed with dry roads and little traffic so we upped the pace a little.........I asked if he was OK, and he said yes, just great, like looking at a Playstation game.

For a brief spell we popped over to Germany and hit 140 mph. He said it was 'wicked'.

When we got back I said better not tell Dad about the top speed.

Saw his Dad later that week and asked if he knew what speeds we had hit. ' Wow, how could I not know! He was on the phone all day telling his mates he had been in a Mclaren at 200 mph'

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
By way of contrast a Driving Instructor asked if I would take him for a spin. No problem I said, thinking if it was a good idea for someone who spent 90% of their day at 30 mph.

As we left the town speed limit, on a straight road, I gently accelerated. 'Wow, I think I'm going to faint' he shouted, completely fazed and stressed out. So we spent our time at 50mph and I learnt he had been an HGV driver limited to 55 mph for most of his working life.

Yes, speed and high performance do not impress all folk!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts