McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has asked Father Christmas to deliver me a GoPro series 3 camera for Crimble. We will be taking a 6 week motorcycle trip in the Andes in May next year...Argentina , Bolivia, Peru, Chile and finally back to Buenos Aires for some Tango dancing .

So we need to record some bits.

Problem is the reviews are confusing.....like great picture quality but 1 and a half hour battery life......typically we ride 9 till 5 so that battery life sucks.

What is the view of Gopro or other systems?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
My wife has asked Father Christmas to deliver me a GoPro series 3 camera for Crimble. We will be taking a 6 week motorcycle trip in the Andes in May next year...Argentina , Bolivia, Peru, Chile and finally back to Buenos Aires for some Tango dancing .

Problem is the reviews are confusing.....like great picture quality but 1 and a half hour battery life......typically we ride 9 till 5 so that battery life sucks.

You get the view when you download it RIC !!!,other than that I have no clue.Glad you confirmed father Christmas is real,i would only believe it from you :)

·
Owner
277 Posts

3+ black is the bet 399 batterly life now about 2 hours can change one in 1 minutes you get 2batterys online with charger 20 bucks

·
Registered
964 Posts
Excellent piece of kit- but as you know the battery life is poor- especially when the weather conditions are not the norm!
I've come to mine a few times in a cold morning and found a totally dead battery :(

I only have the Hero2 and would like to upgrade to the 3- I must have a word with santa maybe ;)
Not sure I'd get lots of benefits in upgrading as I have already bought the wifi and remote...
I did buy a battery and charger kit from Amazon, it came with 3 batteries and a 12V charger, which has cured my battery issues.- non genuine batteries admittedly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I keep mine permanently mounted to car( it's not a daily). Battery life is not fantastic, couple hours. Mine is hero 3 without remote but I use the Go pro app on my I phone and can start stop it when needed. I love it and get some great footage facing backwards.

Not sure you will want to keep recording permanently, I remember when camcorders first came out and video'd most of our vacations, how boring! Lol

Keith.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My interest is having a camera for stills as we will be riding thru' some stunning scenery plus the odd video . The ability to mount the camera on a bike and control it , in a waterproof environment , is key as some days are grunt days across the Pampass for 450 miles to get on station......stopping to take shots is OK and the right way for good shots but shooting on the go as you hit a stray Lama or Alpaca is more realistic.........it is a pain to stop on a bike, take your gloves off , find a camera, shoot and then reverse the process .

The apps let you remotely control a mounted camera on the go.....pretty smart.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The app is very good, you get a screen to see where you pointing it too ;)
I use the app more than the remote- well I say 'I' but my wife can uses the app quite easily.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wouldn't it be possible to take a power feed from the bike's battery (may need a transformer) and then it would run/charge all day?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I have experience with the GoPro Hero 3 (Black series - comes with wifi remote that I never use) and as others have said, the quality/resolution can be really outstanding. The two issues with it are:

• storage capacity (quickly fills up when filming higher resolutions)
  • battery life (for obvious reasons)
You could overcome the first issue with a larger memory card, but, ultimately you would still need a handful of extra cards.

The second issue is resolved by using the USB connection to an external power source (like car charger or mobile battery charger). In this case, you would need to use "the frame", which is not weather proof.

On a side note, the difference between Hero 2 and Hero 3 is like night and day....the difference between Hero 3 and Hero 3+ is not worth an upgrade if you already have 3. Extended battery life can be achieved by using a spare Hero 3+ battery and any picture enhancements could be achieved through editing.

Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Wouldn't it be possible to take a power feed from the bike's battery (may need a transformer) and then it would run/charge all day?
indeed that is possible in a car but no clue if its possible on a bike...i.e has power outlet but suspect it. Must be possible.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, very helpful ...... guess it's GoPro 3+ with spare batteries.

The BMW GS has power outlets but with the GoPro in its waterproof case then I would guess battery power it has to be.

It is an expensive toy after the mounts, batteries and LCD screen is added but I guess they need to make some dosh before Facebook and / or Google bid a trillion US DOLLARS for the business .

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Thanks guys, very helpful ...... guess it's GoPro 3+ with spare batteries. The BMW GS has power outlets but with the GoPro in its waterproof case then I would guess battery power it has to be.
You can drill a little hole in the waterproof casing to feed in the 12V cable and seal it with silicon should work just fine. Batteries are expensive and a hassle to exhange and recharge.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Beyond P1
223 Posts
The trip sounds fantastic and bold. I have cousins in BA and have done a little driving around the country. I hope we see some of that video eventually.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that's NOISY. I am amazed that such a small camera can capture and hold such NOISE.:D:eek:

Picture quality seems fine as well.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Well, that's NOISY. I am amazed that such a small camera can capture and hold such NOISE.:D:eek:

Picture quality seems fine as well.
Actually, the in-built microphone only picks up wind noise after a certain speed. The audio you hear is mostly taken from the rear, where it was strategically placed to get the best out of it (and still survive) :cool:

Frankly speaking, the raw video I recorded is higher quality (i.e. 2.7k) and the software I use to edit only manages to render @ 1920x1080...so the final output at the moment doesn't do the GoPro true justice...

Having said that, GoPro does supply its own video editing software that is good for simple edits and maintains the original quality.:) This is my example of only using the GoPro software:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts