McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
I wonder what the quality of the catalytic converter is. Probably still 304 stainless piping. Turbo cars should at least have 316ss preferably 321 or inconel. Are these hjs cats? How many cells?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hopefully we now have a vendor that sells products for our cars that actually fit and not made somewhere in Japan....

·
owner
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully we now have a vendor that sells products for our cars that actually fit and not made somewhere in Japan....
Oh these guys are meticulous...I'm sure I'll be pleased with their work
after I swallow the bill!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Taiwan. ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
A real lack of information on this product, what's up with that?? It would be greatly appreciated to have more information on products that are being posted. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

We would like clarify and respond to a few questions and comments about our new GMG McLaren MP4-12 High Flow Cat / Downpipe.

"very unique design... looks awfully close, no, identical to ours. Didn't your car go there with our exhaust on it?"
"I wonder what the quality of the catalytic converter is. Probably still 304 stainless piping. Turbo cars should at least have 316ss preferably 321 or Inconel. Are these HJS cats? How many cells?"
Our GMG Racing McLaren MP4-12C High-Flow Catalytic Converter/Downpipe is not identical to Fabspeed.

1. The overall routing and dimensions appear to be similar to the Fabspeed version because we are dealing with a VERY limited amount of space.

- There is only one way to route it from point A to point B while using the factory heat shields.
- Location of tabs for the heat shields will be the same because you can’t mount the heat shields any differently.

2. The catalyst itself is NOT the same as the Fabspeed. Our cat is different in size and dimension to the Fabspeed unit

- We use a larger cat with a 200 cell count core . It is made for GMG. At no point have we ever used a cat that Fabspeed uses.

3. Materials- We use US made aerospace grade T304 Stainless steel. While 316ss and 321 are great alternatives and work very well in a motorsport environment they are not ideal on a production road car. Inconel is another option but it has a “ lifespan” and will time out rather quickly when you consider the life of a street car. Lastly, the costs with the more exotic materials will raise the cost of the parts considerably. We are more than capable of producing parts using 316, 321 and Inconnel and we are happy to build the system with these materials on a special order basis.

4. Workmanship- Welding is TIG welded to AWM aerospace standard

5. Our system is designed, test fitted, and hand built in Orange County, California by our fabricators.

What makes our part different is the grade of the stainless steel used, qualify of welding, and catalyst size and cell count.

"A real lack of information on this product, what's up with that?? It would be greatly appreciated to have more information on products that are being posted. Cheers"

We currently in the final phases of r&d for the vehicle and we are also concurrently developing an exhaust system and bolt-in roll bar. We will provide more information and videos when they are complete. Please stay tuned for updates.

·
owner
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
response

Hey thanks for posting. I hate to even try to compete with
your knowledge level..that's why I'm writing the check LOL!

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
3. Materials- We use US made aerospace grade T304 Stainless steel. While 316ss and 321 are great alternatives and work very well in a motorsport environment they are not ideal on a production road car. Inconel is another option but it has a “ lifespan” and will time out rather quickly when you consider the life of a street car. Lastly, the costs with the more exotic materials will raise the cost of the parts considerably. We are more than capable of producing parts using 316, 321 and Inconel and we are happy to build the system with these materials on a special order basis.
All metals have a lifespan! 321ss or 316ss or Inconel 625 will outlast the life of any street car, especially one with lower grade, high ferrous steels like 304. McLaren uses inconel in its sports exhaust. You are not suggesting that they made a mistake and sold us a part that would fail, are you? Turbocharged cars and their exhaust piping live a long and happy life with higher grade stainless metals or inconel. That is a fact! 304 stainless fatigues and is less durable than the above. 304SS is a cheap and suitable replacement. For the prices that other vendors are charging for these pipes and exhausts, they should be using 321ss. M&M in Germany makes many of their TUV exhausts from 316ss. Not one has failed to my knowledge. This stuff is common knowledge, or so I thought it was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All metals have a lifespan! 321ss or 316ss or Inconel 625 will outlast the life of any street car, especially one with lower grade, high ferrous steels like 304. McLaren uses inconel in its sports exhaust. You are not suggesting that they made a mistake and sold us a part that would fail, are you? Turbocharged cars and their exhaust piping live a long and happy life with higher grade stainless metals or inconel. That is a fact! 304 stainless fatigues and is less durable than the above. 304SS is a cheap and suitable replacement. For the prices that other vendors are charging for these pipes and exhausts, they should be using 321ss. M&M in Germany makes many of their TUV exhausts from 316ss. Not one has failed to my knowledge. This stuff is common knowledge, or so I thought it was.
MP4Dream,

All of your points are valid and we are not disputing with you. In fact, we should have phrased our statement a little better. Please let us clarify that we are not suggesting that 321, 316, or Inconel is unsuitable for production and street applications. Based on specifications alone, they are without a doubt superior materials.

We have been using 304 stainless for a majority of our parts for both street and pro level motorsport (Pirelli World Challenge Series) applications without any issue so it safe to say that it should suffice for most users on here. After all, craftsmanship is a major determinant of a part's durability.

If anyone wishes to use 316, 321, Inconel or titanium instead, we can definitely do that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts