1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CARBUZZ
Glickenhaus Teases A Roadgoing Version Of Its 1,400-HP LeMans Racer
BY SEBASTIAN CENIZO SUPERCARS /

There are 24 slots at $2.3 million a piece.
If you haven't heard of Glickenhaus and its mental 007 racer, where have you been? A track-only missile, the 007 is destined for the LeMans hypercar class. However, in order to be eligible for that series, roadgoing versions of the car must be made. Toyota is building one such street-
legal monster, and Aston Martin has the Valkyrie. It's obvious then that Glickenhaus must follow suit, but details on such a vehicle have not been forthcoming. This week, some of those details have emerged, with the company calling this a "once in a lifetime chance" to own a car with direct links to a LeMans racer.
Of course, not everything would be carried over from the race car, but Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus says that the 007S would be a three-occupant vehicle with a central driving position, much like the McLaren Speedtail, Gordon Murray's T.50, and the car that first set the trend, the iconic McLaren F1.
Like the race car, the road going version is expected to have at least 1,400 horsepower at its disposal and will weigh just 2,800 pounds. That's half a horsepower per pound of weight that the car has to carry around, so acceleration will be insane and handling should be phenomenal too. Other racy stuff is also expected to be included.

The new offering will boast adjustable suspension that can be fiddled with at the track, as well as built-in pneumatic jacks so that you can swap tires and make other tweaks as quickly and efficiently as possible. SCG says that, if it goes ahead, the car would be legal for sale in America and could probably be made to suit other markets too.

However, at this point, SCG needs to fill all 24 build slots to okay the plan. At a cost of $2.3 million per car, that's a lot of money that SCG needs to extract from customers. However, with a promise that the deposit will be refunded if the required orders aren't met, there's no real risk to showing your interest. Time to empty that piggy bank.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Price is a bargain compared to a T.50 Nicki Lauda
Which car are you talking about? The race car or the road car? Both are extremely different than a T.50s. T50S price also includes more than just the car. Still steep, but it's one of a kind

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,356 Posts
Glick is killing it IMO. That car in red looks fantastic! One issue with it, I suspect though, is it looks a lot like the SCG003 for the cockpit. THAT IS TIGHT. Like claustrophobic levels of tight. Like, jaws of life to get in and out of tight!

Which makes sense for those cars. They are ostensibly road cars, but they are clearly race cars.

I hear the SCG004 is a much more comfortable affair.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Either actually.
I don't think they're comparable in any sense other than being fast cars. By that measure, a 720S GT3 is even more of a bargain. Or a old Group C car.

I can see people wanting 12k rpm V12 (Huayra R is evidence of this,) and room for more than 1(coach, friend ride along, etc). I would expect being 200 kg lighter and being a significantly more compact car as well would be quite different in terms of feel/experience. I think the SCG007 is a great looking car. And I think it's priced appropriately. But you're probably going to need a team to run it (race car)

·
Administrator
2,863 Posts
Glick is killing it IMO. That car in red looks fantastic! One issue with it, I suspect though, is it looks a lot like the SCG003 for the cockpit. THAT IS TIGHT. Like claustrophobic levels of tight. Like, jaws of life to get in and out of tight!

Which makes sense for those cars. They are ostensibly road cars, but they are clearly race cars.

I hear the SCG004 is a much more comfortable affair.
Agree on the SCG 003, its very much a racer. SCG 004S is more designed for the road.

·
Registered
339 Posts
To be absolutely honest, somehow these cars just don't do anything visually for me. I get the racing aspect but racing vehicles never seem to fare as well in a road car version visually without the livery and decals as most of the body panels are flat and lack depth. I've always believed that race cars and road cars are separate vehicles with vastly separate considerations in terms of design and performance that when you adapt one to another or vice versa, something gets lost in that conversion.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I’m all on board with the idea of a race car for the road, but I’m not crazy about the designs here. That car in particular has a massive front overhang. It’s going to be real difficult to not scrape the hell out of that on the street.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts