McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a 570gt but living in Miami I fear the glass roof might be a deal breaker. I could feel the heat quite a bit during my short test drive. I'm 6'6 and my head sits very close to the glass roof. After 10 minutes it was getting bad, I could see myself getting a head ache after a 2+ hour drive.

The sales rep was saying 3m makes a special tint that would help reduce the heat quite a bit and didn't know too much about how well the new electro-chromic roofs ability of blocking heat. The 570s was my first pick but the glass roof of the GT gave me quite a bit more head room and I felt a lot less claustrophobic ( so it's a bit of a blessing and a curse!)

Are there any options available of making the glass roof tolerable in extreme sunny/hot climates? How much can window tint alone accomplish?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Window tint helps a lot!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would definitely tint it, heavily. Not sure if the option is currently available, but they spoke about a glass panel that would tint electronically (chromotically, or something like that). Probably worth it. I live in the northeast and will consider the tint. Frank

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my main question is will window tint help enough? Anyone in extreme sunny/hot climates can chime in?

·
Registered
789 Posts
not the roof specifically

but it generally turns the sting from the suns brightness/rays ? down to a much tolerable level.
it doesn't help much overall heat like if the car sits in the sun for a few hours, but it makes driving much more comfortable when its sunny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess the GT isn't in my future :(

Was hoping there would be some way of layering window tint or something... If the expensive electro-chromic roof worked at blocking all the heat I would jump at that option. The glass roof is a double edged sword, it makes it unbearably hot in extreme climates but the additional headroom makes it tolerable for my 6"6 frame as the 570s felt way more cramped.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,025 Posts
Guess the GT isn't in my future :(

Was hoping there would be some way of layering window tint or something... If the expensive electro-chromic roof worked at blocking all the heat I would jump at that option. The glass roof is a double edged sword, it makes it unbearably hot in extreme climates but the additional headroom makes it tolerable for my 6"6 frame as the 570s felt way more cramped.
3M makes film that reduces heat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don’t recall if the 570s came with manual seats. But in the 12c/650s. It bought a little more head clearance
The 570S does have standard manual seats, though most cars running around have power seats. The 570GT comes standard with power seats. The configurator shows no way to get manual seats in the GT unless you buy the CF race seats. A 570GT with CF seats seems like a unicorn!

·
Registered
16 Posts
570GT manufactured in MY2018 spec'd a slightly darker roof tint when compared to MY2017, this darker panoramic glass is provided for Asian market without asking extra money. Windshield, side windows and rear glass tinted in varied fashion and depending on local laws. You may talk to your local dealer to further confirm this info in order to spec the right level of tint. I live in sub-tropical Asia where strong sunshine and 33 degree Celsius temperature is always presented, the darker MY2018 factory roof-tinted glass is performing reasonably sufficient. Additional tint is recommended for Miami.

Didn't spec mine (RHD/Asian market car) with electrochromic glass roof because I don't have full confident in McLaren's electronics and the life-span of electrochromic roof is deem questionable. Added to my skepticism: McLaren's electrochromic roof is divided into a two section modules(not a single piece of glass, which is a big let down).

Been flying on serval airplanes from JAL that equipped with similar electrochromic bay windows(same technology I supposed), they all block out the sun ray in switchable manner and doing a job quite right, but each window varies when it comes to transparency. I mean some looks clearer and some don't when passengers have the bay windows function switch-off... It keeps me wonder if two pieces of electrochromic share the same transparency when they are not at work.

My 2 cents: The cost to spec electrochromic roof pays off well over hundred yards of aftermarket tint-films with skillful labor, and we don't need to worry too much about reliability and servicing issues for this kind of application.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I live in central California and have the roof and hatch windows tinted. Looks better and is affective in 100F sunny weather. Still need to run the AC all the time but tinting is an inexpensive fix for a hot climate. I’m thinking of tinting the side windows as well. I think it would look great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I originally started looking at the 570GT. I was told that the glass trunk lid leaked and the big thing was the hot glass top. I asked about tinting and was told "that is a way to help but not stop it." I decided I did not want to spend that much money and then have to find a way to make the car usable. I think the tint would help, but the question itself would keep some from purchasing this car on the open market down the road. A sunshade from McLaren would make this a better option. I went with the 650S and love it.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
It’s merely hearsay regarding glass trunk leak. If the report of “leaking” is referring rain water, I am more than happy to report that my GT rides well and the glass hatch hasn’t leak a drip under heavy rain and typhoon weather, I live in sub-tropical city. My GT met 3 typhoons since i’ve got it new, hatch lid remains leak proof. Of course the top glass works fine under sunny day too because Asia spec has darker tint since MY2018.

Some 570S don’t see this much rain like my GT, many owners/collectors simply don’t like the idea of soaking their engine bay under rainy weather. While engine bay of GT has semi-open rear design, the main portion is well-protected under the glass hatch.

If you find glass lid of the GT comes with too much play or seal not tight, Mclaren dealer will do a quick adjustment with no cost. Given long enough time the sealing around carbon frame/glass lid might come to age, I guess the water-tight rubber gasket would be an easy fix at minimal cost. (Something like the exchange of a wiper I bet.)

Happy driving !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone else can comment about the glass roof? Seems like only one person says the car is way too hot even with a tinted roof above 90 degree's. During my test drive it was extremely hot. I'm pretty tall so my my head sits about 1 inch underneath a glass roof that cooked the top of my skull. However, the windows were not tinted.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had a glass roof on a number of cars over the years and I don't have an issue with it. It gets a little hot in summer, but no more than other cars, and my AC seems to cools things off pretty quick. Its also nice when its cold because when its sitting in the sun the car stays warm.

Now, if I lived in Florida or Texas it might be an issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts