McLaren Life banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
the front-right anti-rattle bracket had bent & slipped under the pin on top & appeared to be grinding against the outside of the rotor. The dealership says they install a new anti rattle bracket & pins each time they change pads because the bracket can bend under super high temperatures ? I've had the car out for a few 120 degree f track sessions at big willow during the summer. Has anyone else had this issue?
Never seen a bent anti-rattle bracket. And I've done a ton of laps in the central Texas heat at COTA, a track famous for brake challenges.

And what you describe ... "bent & slipped under the pin on top"... sounds backwards. The bracket goes under both pins, top and bottom.

For sure, it is pretty easy to install the bracket incorrectly and still have the brakes function.

As for parts source...+1 on XPRD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Never seen a bent anti-rattle bracket. And I've done a ton of laps in the central Texas heat at COTA, a track famous for brake challenges.

And what you describe ... "bent & slipped under the pin on top"... sounds backwards. The bracket goes under both pins, top and bottom.

For sure, it is pretty easy to install the bracket incorrectly and still have the brakes function.

I'll try to post some pictures, but it's very possible that it was an issue w/ me installing it the first time which caused it to bend & become unusable.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quick question, how many pad changes have people had before replacing their gyrodisk rotors? I'm on set 4 of pads & thinking it might be time to measure the front break disks. I see no noticeable cracks or deep groves yet. Just surface scratches.

Also, I can't find info on the gyrodisk minimum suggested thickness. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I'll try to post some pictures, but it's very possible that it was an issue w/ me installing it the first time which caused it to bend & become unusable.
I posted a picture, earlier in the thread of what it is supposed to look like.

Regarding pins and anti rattle bracket; it is possible that the kit that comes with the pads when dealer purchases from Mclaren them does include the pins and the bracket. Therefore, to give you the bracket and the pins then they have to sell you pads also. (My dealer won't sell one rotor or one brake pad. You have to buy two rotors even if you only need one (they told me they have to buy the rotors in pairs from mclaren), you have to buy two pads (they have to buy a pair of pads and can't buy one from mclaren).

The pins and bracket purchased with the pads is just my speculation (You are the second person who has stated that they have to buy the pads if they want the pins and bracket and the other person is from a different dealer then you).

Now, all that being said; I have purchased pads from my dealer and they didn't install them. It only came with the pads and sensors (it didn't include the pins or the bracket). Therefore, they do not change the pins and bracket as part of their brake change procedure. Dealers want to do the brake pad changes for you and if you don't want to play ball then they won't sell the pins/brackets separately. For what its worth (I thought I lost one of the pins when I was trying to change the pads and they did give me a free set of pins without any questions (they were aftermarket pads on 720s and I haven't purchased any pads from them in two years)). However, I am a multi purchaser of mac cars from them and a big service client so I get a lot of leeway from them.

On another note; many, many people who track Mclarens regularly do use aftermarket pads/rotors and they do NOT change the pins/bracket.... However, that would be no justification if something goes wrong with your car and you want to go back to your dealer and have them rectify the situation.

My dealer hasn't told me that I need new pins/brackets everytime I change the pads. I wouldn't ignore it if they did tell me this though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I’ve just returned from a trackday with the new Girodisc supplied (Endless) pads on: they worked brilliantly on track and not a single traffic llight squeak on the way back home. They do require more heat before working optimally.
They are also more progressive and (for my limited capabilities) better controllable. Making trail-braking and small corrections so much easier.

They do seem to wear a bit faster than the Raybestos. But I need more track time to know that for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I posted a picture, earlier in the thread of what it is supposed to look like.

Regarding pins and anti rattle bracket; it is possible that the kit that comes with the pads when dealer purchases from Mclaren them does include the pins and the bracket. Therefore, to give you the bracket and the pins then they have to sell you pads also. (My dealer won't sell one rotor or one brake pad. You have to buy two rotors even if you only need one (they told me they have to buy the rotors in pairs from mclaren), you have to buy two pads (they have to buy a pair of pads and can't buy one from mclaren).

The pins and bracket purchased with the pads is just my speculation (You are the second person who has stated that they have to buy the pads if they want the pins and bracket and the other person is from a different dealer then you).

Now, all that being said; I have purchased pads from my dealer and they didn't install them. It only came with the pads and sensors (it didn't include the pins or the bracket). Therefore, they do not change the pins and bracket as part of their brake change procedure. Dealers want to do the brake pad changes for you and if you don't want to play ball then they won't sell the pins/brackets separately. For what its worth (I thought I lost one of the pins when I was trying to change the pads and they did give me a free set of pins without any questions (they were aftermarket pads on 720s and I haven't purchased any pads from them in two years)). However, I am a multi purchaser of mac cars from them and a big service client so I get a lot of leeway from them.

On another note; many, many people who track Mclarens regularly do use aftermarket pads/rotors and they do NOT change the pins/bracket.... However, that would be no justification if something goes wrong with your car and you want to go back to your dealer and have them rectify the situation.

My dealer hasn't told me that I need new pins/brackets everytime I change the pads. I wouldn't ignore it if they did tell me this though.
The picture of the anti-rattle bracket was very helpful. It's fully likely I did something wrong the first time. Either way, this difficulty getting front anti-rattle brackets & caliper pins (without buying a front set of carbon pads) is enough to make me consider looking at the Essex ap racing break calipers, disks & pads for when I need my next set of rotors. I hope someone will eventually sell the pins & brackets aftermarket. XPRD has been super helpful, and is looking into the rear anti-rattle brackets, but can't help me with the fronts. It may indeed be that McLaren sells the dealerships the fronts as a kit.

·
Vendor
72 Posts
contact ap directly. they make the calipers so should have all the required parts.
We (Essex Parts) are AP Racing's exclusive distributor for North America. AP will almost certainly refer you directly to McLaren. With their OEM supply contracts, they can't go around the vehicle manufacturer.

·
Vendor
72 Posts
The picture of the anti-rattle bracket was very helpful. It's fully likely I did something wrong the first time. Either way, this difficulty getting front anti-rattle brackets & caliper pins (without buying a front set of carbon pads) is enough to make me consider looking at the Essex ap racing break calipers, disks & pads for when I need my next set of rotors. I hope someone will eventually sell the pins & brackets aftermarket. XPRD has been super helpful, and is looking into the rear anti-rattle brackets, but can't help me with the fronts. It may indeed be that McLaren sells the dealerships the fronts as a kit.
Our Essex/AP Racing setup has proper fit, doesn't make any substantial rattling, bolts together easily, doesn't require special tools, etc. Our pad change is as simple as it could possibly be. Our calipers use two hex bolts on the front and one on the rear. The pad tension blocks we use in our McLaren brake kits are a simple design that eliminate virtually all vertical pad movement/rattle. Our calipers also open up a wide range of pad friction compounds from just about every major pad manufacturer.

Below is a look at our caliper bridge setup. There are no spring clips, no need to punch out pins with a hammer or try to wedge a spring under a bolt. With our setup it's far harder and time-consuming to raise the car and remove the wheel than it is to change pads. The convenience factor is off the charts, and eliminates all fiddling!

Here's the rear...just one 6mm hex bolt and you're done.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Just wanted to chime in on this thread. We have the pads for the Girodisc 2 Piece rotors in stock and ready to ship, as well as pads to fit any popular race caliper option.
Yep. Great service too.

Martin got me pads last Fall on short notice for my 720S. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is got a spider last month, and plan to do some track days next year.

On the Girodisc website, they do not list any pads available, but on the cars that they do list pads for the appear to say Raybestos .

I was planning on using the discs and pads on the street as well so I don't have to constantly change pads.

I would prefer Endless.

Where did you order the endless pads or Raybestos pads from?

Are the Cobalt pads (XR3 or XR4) noisy on the street?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is got a spider last month, and plan to do some track days next year.

On the Girodisc website, they do not list any pads available, but on the cars that they do list pads for the appear to say Raybestos .

I was planning on using the discs and pads on the street as well so I don't have to constantly change pads.

I would prefer Endless.

Where did you order the endless pads or Raybestos pads from?

Are the Cobalt pads (XR3 or XR4) noisy on the street?
Here you go

41 - 54 of 54 Posts