McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Girodisc has changed pad suppliers for their 720S cast iron rotor setup. Cobalt XR1/XR2 is out and Raybestos ST43 is in.

While the rears are standard OE shapes, the front pad shape is unique to this setup. Cobalt built them up from scratch, but it is clear upon inspection that the Raybestos pads are cut down from another application. One downside is less pad material in the swept area. Note also that the backing plate is now thicker (which means less actual pad thickness).

I purchased these from Competition Motorsport and these are the Endurance compound.
Girodisc McLaren 720S Brake Pads (Front)
Girodisc McLaren 720S Brake Pads (Rear)

IMG_3362.JPG IMG_3359.JPG IMG_3369.JPG IMG_3357.JPG IMG_3358.JPG

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Cobalt disappeared for a while and was unresponsive .
Cobalt is back up and running (change in ownership) . I purchased cobalt pads directly from cobalt about 3 weeks ago .

Ive always liked the Cobalt’s more

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cobalt disappeared for a while and was unresponsive .
Cobalt is back up and running (change in ownership) . I purchased cobalt pads directly from cobalt about 3 weeks ago .

Ive always liked the Cobalt’s more
Damn...wish I knew that. I only needed fronts, since I go through them twice as fast as rears.

I guess I'm set on pads for awhile...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I switched to the Girodisc rotors and pad for my 600LT. First set of pads lasted 6 track days. Pads were excellent. No noise and no noticeable difference between carbon ceramics for me. Two pro drivers have driven car and thought the braking was great. Just received replacements from Clark at Apex Performance. He didn't think there were any other pads that would work. Pads have 10mm of brake pad.
IMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I was the early adopter (first one) for the Giro rotors for 720s/600 LT. Initially, the set up was giro iron with cobalt pads. The set up worked great.

Eventually, something happened with Cobalt and Giro started to use Reybestos. Eventually, Giro started making their own pads (outside USA); it was branded giro but seemed to be Reybestos. This became the only option (multiple of us early adopters were not able to get the Cobalt pads, either through giro, or other third party providers). Cobalt lasted the longest and was the best pads.

I tried calling/emailing cobalt and had no success reaching anyone there. I had given up and conditioned myself to use Reybestos. I went back to Cobalt website one month ago and saw that it said "new customer service" or something to that affect. I called them and they answered right away and were now under new ownership (someone in Portland bought them). I asked for the Cobalt pads (they didn't have the pad number for 720s/600 LT). I got it from my old packaging and they were able to get me two sets of pads within one week.

Trust me on this - Cobalt pads are the ones you want to use. They last longer and are better at doing what they are supposed to be do.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Nice. What is the cost for the conversion?
Rotors and one set of pads is about $4K. I only know one person who replaced the rings on the rotors so far (25 hard track days on 720s). The replacement rings on the rotors are about $1,700 I believe.

A set of pads is about $900.

Not getting them out of the box is just delaying the inevitable if you are going to track it more then a handful of times. I've seen this broken record play out over and over again (dealer personnel messaging me, other owners, friends of owners, etc.).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
backing plates look like they've been trimmed with a chainsaw!
The trim work is actually quite good, if you look at the edge-on picture...looks like water-jet to me. They even have the slot for the wear indicator (not that I use it).

The very back of the pad looks like it was skimmed to get a perfectly flat surface to mount on the mill.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Agreed Unmac. This was a concern on the BMW and Porsche ceramics had in the past.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I finally had the opportunity to drive my 720s with Girodisc conversion in real anger past week. Both on the TT Assen (Netherlands) and the Zolder (Belgium) track. In particular the last one is a real brake-killer. The setup behaved perfectly! In terms of progressiveness I actually like them better than the original, they are a bit easier to control.

On the trackday at TT Assen I had the opportunity to test-drive a 570 GT4 that is fully upgraded to the latest specs. This includes an endurance focussed Alcon brake setup. It was an interesting comparison. In my opinion the Alcons are much easier to control but the Girodisc/Cobalt setup on the 720s definitely has they edge when it comes to absolute brake power.

Reactions: unmac

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I had the Raybestos ST43 (sprint) fronts w/ the gyrodisk setup. I got the Raybestos directly from gyrodisk. Competition Motorsport doesn't yet resell the "newly owned" cobalt pads but they said they are working on becoming a reseller again asap.

AWH, did you have any abnormal "squeak" issues with the raybestos? I had the expected race pads break squeel in the front-left when coming to a full stop, but the front-right pads sounded like godzilla screaming all the way from 20mph down to 0 which led me to worry about inconsistencies as it appears the back plates are drilled down by hand. I tried grinding the front-left pads a bit, which helped reduce the noise some. I'm curious to hear about the noise from your setup. I did however have the ST43 Sprint pads, not the endurance pads you had. That could have been a part of my issue.

Unmac,
Do you happen to have the email address for the new cobalt? And the specific model of XR1/XR2 to ask for that supports the gyrodisk fronts setup? I'm eager to try those asap as I'm due for a new set.

Thank you everyone for your help!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Invoice attached (this was for 2 sets for the fronts and 2 sets for the rears).

Pictures attached in next couple of postings for the packaging with the pad numbers. These are the ones to get (no squeal that I can detect during normal road driving. these are the ones that the early adopters had. I had them for about 3 sets until they fell silent and then had no choice but reybestos (giro pad as they had to find a solution since cobalt with awol). Now cobalt is back. The best one to get.

I had called them directly (not emailed). After I ordered, I received the confirmation from the person whom I talked to: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AWH, did you have any abnormal "squeak" issues with the raybestos? I had the expected race pads break squeel in the front-left when coming to a full stop, but the front-right pads sounded like godzilla screaming all the way from 20mph down to 0 which led me to worry about inconsistencies as it appears the back plates are drilled down by hand. I tried grinding the front-left pads a bit, which helped reduce the noise some. I'm curious to hear about the noise from your setup. I did however have the ST43 Sprint pads, not the endurance pads you had. That could have been a part of my issue.
No squeak on track for me with either Raybestos "Endurance" or Cobalt XR2.

The Cobalts definitely get squeaky with street use after they scrape off the residual pad deposits left from track use (rotors start to look really shiny again). It can be quite annoying to be "that guy" with the race brake squeak at stop lights. A day at the track stops it for awhile.

I haven't driven the car on the street enough yet with the Raybestos since the last track day...so no input there yet. But for sure no squeak on the track.

BTW, I disagree with your assertion that the Raybestos are "drilled down by hand". It is very clearly a machining operation, as the pattern for the mounting tabs and the pad wear indicator are very intricate. The only thing that appears to be done by hand is a quick skim of the back to be certain of a flat surface when mounting on the mill for the edge-shaping operation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts