McLaren Life banner

Gearbox Overheating!!

14K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  andy c 
#1 ·
Dont Panic!!!
As i previously quoted i had a gearbox overheating problem when trying out the launch,and then subsiqently assumed a down shift problem???
Not quite what i thought!!,the car went in today for this to be checked out,and was found to be perfect,so whats the problem.The lemon behind the wheel!!
To Start with the launch,when i tried to do this i parked close to the verge,so i could wait for a large gap in the traffic,were i went wrong is that the steering has to be dead centre for the launch to attivate correctly,so the drive is fighting against the brakes and overheated the gearbox,which then goes into safety mode and disabling the hydralic airbrake.
So next time i need a wide flat road and point the car in a straight line as the steering wheel has to be true to a couple of degrees.
After the inital problem i put 2and 2 together and came up with 5 again,that is to say about the box suddenly changing from 7th to 2nd.
AGAIN THE LEMON,which is my driving style!
When i was running the car in carefully, the downshift into a corner holding the paddle would shift down through the gears and select the correct gear for my speed,all very nice.
Now its run in im driving alot more aggressively,and the car is so responsive i am attacking the 90 degree corners and hitting the brakes hard,the gearbox recognises this and drops into the correct gear for the corner at the maximum revs that are safe,hence the 7th to 2nd at 8000rpm,brutal but safe for the box.i think this car is teaching me how to be alot smoother driver and i will now try a quick but smoother style,so i dont have to peel my face off the windscreen any more.
One more thing to add,the Mclaren service was impeccable.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great explanation, but what is a smoooooth driving style in a MP12?

Break earlier, no the brake steer wants late breaking and later turn in so you can gas it earlier........um......over to you Andy :)

#4 ·
You were trying to do launch control while merging into traffic? Please be careful. Just keep saying smooth is fast, smooth is fast.... and get to a track so you can really enjoy that beast.

I assume you could command each down shift as you are slowing, as opposed to holding the paddle if you wished?

#8 ·
I usually command each downshift,which is the most rewarding anyway,i just wanted to try this method,and chose the wrong type of corner to try it on.
As for the launch,the road i chose was a very little used one,but sods law two or three cars came along at once,then i wanted a good 1/2 mile of space
before lift off

#6 ·
Andy. When I did launch control in a 458 on the mile straight at Millbrook we where at around 186 mph at just over the half mile. If you did not launch in time then the launch reverted to track mode.

Anyway, launch control was violent addictive mind blowing sweaty palm 'am I still on earth stuff'.........you can't do it in traffic.........can you........LOL and well pray for survival

#7 ·
Andy. Your comment about your driving ability sparks a thought. Remember some of the journalists criticised the MP12 handling and requested McL made it like other cars.

Well what about the 911, don't you have to learn how to drive that? Hook it up and fire it out from the apex, brake like sh..t on tight bend to get it to turn in....blah blah blah.....seems to me your ahead of the pack and learning how to drive the MP12.....KEEP LETTING US KNOW HOW YOUR DOING.....

#9 ·
When this happened i was trying to evoke the brake steer around a 90 degree corner,so i wouldnt be going too fast the first time!!
The next time i tried I downshifted manually and got it working,it felt like i was the stone in a slingshot,i actually backed off a little because it surprised me even though i was expecting it.Still trying not to drive it like a 911,old habits!!

#12 ·
Yes understand but the brochure illustrates how the line thru' a corner with the mp12 is better by later braking with the brake steer turning the car. Hence my comments.

#16 ·
Andy. Interesting how your beginning to realise the MP12 is different regarding handling and how to adjust. I usually need a couple of thousand mile to become completely comfortable.........whereas the first 100 metres signals the major differences it is the nuances that have to be mastered.

That's why, I guess, some of the journalists failed to understand and adjust to the handling. Seems McL need to get some communication/coaching activity in motion.

The brochure illustrates the different line with brake steer and seems to indicate brake later, turn in faster with a later apex combined with a'shallower line' that allows earlier throttle and faster corner exit. Very different to a 911 !

With the London demo car at 11000 miles on the original tyres it suggests the chassis balance/suspension clearly is in another league.......I'm assuming the demo car has been thrashed.

Let us know how you are getting on plus now you have done a few miles what new character is coming through?

#19 ·
were i went wrong is that the steering has to be dead centre for the launch to attivate QUOTE]

Does the steering not have to be centered for any of the "Active" functions to activate or was i misled ?
Not really,you can change at will on a bumpy road,as long as you are not going round a corner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.