McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://gizmodo.com/scientists-made-a-terminator-polymer-that-can-heal-it-1314189102

Check this thing out. As amazing as the Xpel self healing is, this takes it to a new level. Could be used for all kinds of parts.

One thing I wish Xpel would add is water repulsion and smudge proof'ness. It collects finger prints, palm prints, face prints, butt prints like a CSI lab! And after a rain storm, shows residue really easily.

Some coating like this would be great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

I wonder if you could just apply this atop the Xpel?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
You can apply 22ple or wax over Xpel.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark. Can you give me a good thumbnail of what 22ple does. I've surfed around it a bit and not sure what the key take aways are. Best I can gather is it makes a glass like coating so the car is super lacquer'y and shiny. Is that right. Is there some extra protection it offers against scratches or dings?

Would it make sense to put this over the xpel in that, I had Philly Mac put the xpel wrap on, and think the car was ok underneath, but do you need an ultra super detail before you put on the wrap to make the 22ple worthwhile? Or will it make the car look awesome regardless?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
It collects finger prints, palm prints, face prints, butt prints like a CSI lab! And after a rain storm, shows residue really easily.
You need to stop running into people when you're driving around. :D

-nh4.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
You can apply 22ple or wax over Xpel.
If the Xpel is one of the self-healing varieties, I know there are, well, I should say *were*, some limitations on what could be put on top of it. Some waxes and finishes would mess up the ability of the polymers to do their healing thing... This is something I remember from a while ago though, hence the *were* caveat above... As with all things, I would imagine the rules are different with newer Xpel.

-nh4.

·
Banned
111 Posts
22ple or gtechniq C1 coatings are liquid glass coatings and chemically bond to the surface substrate and become hydrophobic around 110 degree bead angle and easy clean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foItPF2Ooc

the xpel film is good at self healing but not as thick as 3m venture shield. Ive found on cars that have a lot of road rash and large stone chips the 3m stands up better,also would be best to get the car machined polished with a water based polish first to remove swirl marks and get the surface perfect before applying the film.

Never wet is a interesting coating and has many uses not sure on the chemical structure of it but as a super hydrophobic coating it had a bead angel of over 150 Degrees so water will shoot of the surface, will be pretty cool now in consumer form but test will be needed for duribility and hardness.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
22ple or gtechniq C1 coatings are liquid glass coatings and chemically bond to the surface substrate and become hydrophobic around 110 degree bead angle and easy clean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foItPF2Ooc

the xpel film is good at self healing but not as thick as 3m venture shield. Ive found on cars that have a lot of road rash and large stone chips the 3m stands up better,also would be best to get the car machined polished with a water based polish first to remove swirl marks and get the surface perfect before applying the film.

Never wet is a interesting coating and has many uses not sure on the chemical structure of it but as a super hydrophobic coating it had a bead angel of over 150 Degrees so water will shoot of the surface, will be pretty cool now in consumer form but test will be needed for duribility and hardness.
It would seem that the 22ple, being a liquid glass that would bond to the film, might impede the Xpel from self healing. I have to imagine that the Xpel needs some degree of flex to stitch itself back together. On the other hand, if you had both on the car it would likely take a pretty severe impact to get through the 22ple and then also through the Xpel.

Does that sound right?

-nh4.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Adding film over a non perfect car is ok, seems to hide any imperfections, but best thing is to polish before application.

I added Blackfire wet diamond sealant over my entire car, wrapped areas as well. Can wax over this for added protection.

No coating will protect from a dent / ding.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Only film with orange peel in it is normal 3M. I have never seen orange peel with Ventureshield or Xpel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts