McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just curious. To those who have had their 12C's for a little while now...
How long do you think that you will keep it? Do you see this as a car that will be in your "fleet" forever? or do you think that you will use it for a year or two and get rid of it?

After having one for about 2 months now, I think that it will join my '97 NSX and '07 911 turbo as being a car that I keep forever.

Anyone else??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine will be a keeper along with my track toy 'nsx' and weekend toy 'Ford GT'
I've been having an itch to mod my 12C to get around 800hp level. Currently talking to a few shops regarding the project. Should be very interesting in the next several months.:D

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I will replace mine with another from the mclaren stable.. I can see in the fullness of time perhaps having a road variant and a track variant..,

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think this will be a keeper but will have a better idea after a full summer with the car.
No plans for any mods other than the one I've already done on an exhaust tip change.

I think the bhp is more than enough for the UK roads at the moment!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Bought with the intention of replacing it with either the 12C 'Scud' or the next gen 12C. Not sure anymore, however, as I love the car's dual personality and it has become my daily driver. With Antony Sheriff departed, I have to wait and see if the AND car philosophy lives on. If the next model is less usable day to day, I may keep this one. Also, I have a strong emotional attachment to my early VIN and everything McLaren has been through as a startup. Many memories associated with this car, already.

Lastly, love it or leave it, the 12C's styling will forever be unique, even among Mac's lineup. I love the design language of the P1 and I'm sure future models will be very striking, too. But I also love the 12C's purposeful, clean form. It's a refreshing design that bucks the current trend of busy and contrived aggression that so many cars follow. When I see another one rolling on the road, which thankfully is still quite rare, there's no mistaking the 12C's mission.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i'm probably the wrong person to ask as i tend to never sell my exotics (i still have my 10 year old Murcie i got brand new and will never sell and some others), but i think it will be with me for a LONG time.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
If Mclaren continues the 2012 campaigns it's a keeper - appreciate what the original owner spec'd.

MSO parts as the car ages and possibly more hp.

I thought the Scud Mac version would be next but the rawness of the 16M scratches that itch.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've noticed the black exhaust tips on a car I've seen (2500 miles) were all pitted, I take it that's normal?
Not that I'm aware of, although I think I remember someone saying the same just after I'd had mine fitted.:(
For clarity, I changed mine from silver to black surrounds for visual purposes. it is only a tin plate cover, so could well be easily affected with rust spots in the future..
Mind you most of my exhuast tips have had a hard time one way or another :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mine will be.a keeper till the day I've had enough off it or till the day something more exciting pops-up. The only keeper I've got is my 2006 Ford GT which is so cute and never ages.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
If Mclaren continues the 2012 campaigns it's a keeper - appreciate what the original owner spec'd.

MSO parts as the car ages and possibly more hp.

I thought the Scud Mac version would be next but the rawness of the 16M scratches that itch.
I wonder, though, if I'll be able to resist a Scud 12C. It very well may end up 200 lbs lighter than the P1. Would love if the interior was inspired by the bare carbon of the P1 and Frank gives the exterior a flourish while retaining the purity of the existing form. All I need is one of the suspension settings to be soft enough to handle daily duty. I don't think I'd be able to say no.

Of course, it might depreciate faster than any car in history. But, could you go back to a base 430 after the Scud? Or a base 360 after the CS?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I've noticed the black exhaust tips on a car I've seen (2500 miles) were all pitted, I take it that's normal?
This seems to be a common occurrence on most exhaust tips, the only way to prevent it from happening is to be vigilant and clean often. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm just curious. To those who have had their 12C's for a little while now...
How long do you think that you will keep it? Do you see this as a car that will be in your "fleet" forever? or do you think that you will use it for a year or two and get rid of it?

After having one for about 2 months now, I think that it will join my '97 NSX and '07 911 turbo as being a car that I keep forever.

Anyone else??
I agree about the NSX;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Too early to tell. I fall in love with any new car I buy then within a few months... I start finding faults and then sooner or later have the urge to see if anything better is out there(sounds like dating:eek:).

So far.... so good. P.S. My NSX is an absolute keeper.;)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I wonder, though, if I'll be able to resist a Scud 12C. It very well may end up 200 lbs lighter than the P1. Would love if the interior was inspired by the bare carbon of the P1 and Frank gives the exterior a flourish while retaining the purity of the existing form. All I need is one of the suspension settings to be soft enough to handle daily duty. I don't think I'd be able to say no.

Of course, it might depreciate faster than any car in history. But, could you go back to a base 430 after the Scud? Or a base 360 after the CS?
What is a Scud 12C ???? don't tell me the Italians have bought up McLaren shares to get their hands on CF technology;) 6th you should know better:D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts