McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm mardyn from over in North East Texas...

I have recently sold my Ford GT and have decided to replace it with a MP4-12C within the next few months.

Looked at a nice 2012 Volcano Orange 12C in Dallas a few weeks back and now the search for
just the right car continues...

Looks like a great forum over here... I'm looking forward to joining in on the fun.

mardyn

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hello all,

I have recently sold my Ford GT and have decided to replace it with a MP4-12C within the next few months.

Looked at a nice 2012 Volcano Orange 12C in Dallas a few weeks back and now the search for

Looks like a great forum over here... I'm looking forward to joining in on the fun.

mardyn
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the right car soon. :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hello all,

mardyn
Hello and welcome Mardyn. Great luck on your hunt for one of these wonderful cars.

Interestingly enough, I had a FGT as well that was totaled when the warehouse it was in collapsed on it during sandy. Just got over the insurance unpleasantness. The GTs are immensely collectible cars. I have a hole in my wallet where it used to reside. I would never have sold it. Hope you did well.

Once you spend some quality time with a 12C you'll soon see what all the fuss is about. Again welcome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome, Mardyn! Looking forward to you finding the perfect 12C for you, and sharing pics here ;) I'm also a future owner, though won't be ordering until early next year. (we need a house with more room first)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did OK on the sale of my FGT... bought it new, used it for seven years, and sold it for more
than I originally paid for it... I enjoyed the ownership experience, but kinda' lost interest because
I wasn't using it much. The opportunity to sell came along and I took it.

Now, Seller's Remorse has set in and I have an empty spot in my garage (and my heart as well).

The FGT is now water under the bridge and I look forward to my next automotive adventure with the McLaren.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

mardyn

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
I did OK on the sale of my FGT... bought it new, used it for seven years, and sold it for more
than I originally paid for it... I enjoyed the ownership experience, but kinda' lost interest because
I wasn't using it much. The opportunity to sell came along and I took it.

Now, Seller's Remorse has set in and I have an empty spot in my garage (and my heart as well).

The FGT is now water under the bridge and I look forward to my next automotive adventure with the McLaren.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

mardyn
You mention that the FGT wasn't getting much use, any reason in particular?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm not really sure of the answer to your question Boxer. I loved the car, it was brutally quick & fast,
ran great, no real problems with the car once the gauge issues were resolved... but I just wasn't driving
it much.

I took this into consideration before selling, realizing the rarity and value of the car... and even the fact
that much of my local identity was tied to the car.. "Hey you're the guy with the red Ford GT!"

In retrospect, I now regret the sale of the FGT and I could get another if I really wanted to, but now I want something a little different.

I'm not a Ferrari guy although I really like the 458, same with Lamborghini, but I kinda' dig the Aventador... I'd love to have a Koenigsegg, but those are a bit too pricey for my wallet.

The MP4-12C just fits nicely into my niche presently, but I have to make sure I don't end up in a similar situation as with the FGT and lose interest after a few months... that's my dilemma, and what a wonderful problem to have...

Cheers.
mardyn

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome aboard,

I also have a 06 GT Tungsten grey, and could never part with it. I have a 50th anniversary Orange on order. Both are great cars. I just cannot deal with the Ferrari dealer attitude.

Z

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Mardyn, GTs are better than money in the bank, too bad you sold. Mine is with me til death do us part! The Mac is a very different car than the GT; much more usable and a very 'normal' car to drive in everyday use (maybe thats why some people say it has no soul?). However, its a real jekyl and hyde vehicle, begin to even try a little spirited driving and its amazing how quick the thing is - i've never driven anything like it in terms of its eagerness to go fast. Pull the trigger and get one, there's some great deals on them right now.
Do you know Ben in Beaumont - he has some wild stuff, including two GTs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if I know Ben in Beaumont or not, maybe by his screen name on the FGT forum(s)...

Yeah on the money in the bank deal too... my FGT money would be worth a lot more now if I'd just left
it in the car... I'm sad it's gone.

mardyn

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome, Mardyn. Glad to see a fellow Texan making the 12C plunge. Spider or coupe?

Sounds like a McLaren will be right up your alley. Can't wait to see what you end up with! One of these days we need to get all the McLaren owners in the Texas area together for an event/drive. Maybe next spring though as I'm McLaren-less until my Spider arrives later this year.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mardyn, GTs are better than money in the bank, too bad you sold. Mine is with me til death do us part! The Mac is a very different car than the GT; much more usable and a very 'normal' car to drive in everyday use (maybe thats why some people say it has no soul?). However, its a real jekyl and hyde vehicle, begin to even try a little spirited driving and its amazing how quick the thing is - i've never driven anything like it in terms of its eagerness to go fast. Pull the trigger and get one, there's some great deals on them right now.
i have to agree completely. coming from an MP4 and FGT owner. both great cars.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts