McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Spyder with 8,000 miles and I am the 2nd owner. The 1st owner had it for about 6 momths and traded up with McLaren. I bought it in 2015 and negociated with the McLaren dealer for an extra year of warrantee. I also bought 2 more years. It ends in 3 months and the new cost has really gone up. I have had very little trouble with the car. I just took it into warrantee service for a small issue. I asked them to look the car over carefully and fix anything under warrantee. I told them I was thinking of trading it in towards a 720 S (which I am, but slowly backing off that thought). They found 2 small seal leaks and fixed them. The also replaced the front ball joints (I do NOT track the car or push it hard at all). I'm sure the bill would have been a pretty penny.
I have found a shop in Southern California that works on McLaren. It is staffed by 2 men that worked for McLaren in the service center for years. I know one of them and liked him. They will service and repair my 12 C if needed. They have the McLaren tools for the 12 C and others. A basic service (oil change, check car, fill fluids etc) is about $500. This is WAY less then a basic service at a dealer. I do have the McLaren warrantee in force for a few more months.

So I'm seriously considering going without a warrantee as disposible income is changing for many of us.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its not a bad call. As much as Ilove my 720 and have had minimal issues with it, it scares the crap out of me if something were to go wrong and the car wasn't under waranty. The cost of extended warranty is a joke IMHO with Mclaren. Slowly not becoming a fan of their shenanigans with their service. While Ive had great service, there is no reason my annual service which consisted of an oil and fluid change should have cost $1600. I mean yeah, sure I can afford it but its price gouging at its best.

·
Owner
723 Posts
On the 12C, it's a secret whether the 2014 12C had the 'upgrades' that prevent the heads from cracking (usually about the 25k mile mark). Water pump & hoses, driveline dampers, heads, all have some type of upgrade, otherwise, just a matter of time before one of your heads crack. At that point, if you have no McL warranty, McL will have no mercy on you. Trust me, if you own a 12C, you must purchase the McL warranty. McL will not tell you if your car is safe or not.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
318 Posts
Seems that cars in this category are targeted to customers who trade every two years or even less. The used car segment is not really the target when they are designing and producing these awesome cars. Sure the cost raises the eyebrows of normal folks, but are the annual service contracts (maybe $6,000/year) out of line with other exotics and pricey rides like Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Bentley?

·
2012 MP4-12C
498 Posts
On the 12C, it's a secret whether the 2014 12C had the 'upgrades' that prevent the heads from cracking (usually about the 25k mile mark). Water pump & hoses, driveline dampers, heads, all have some type of upgrade, otherwise, just a matter of time before one of your heads crack. At that point, if you have no McL warranty, McL will have no mercy on you. Trust me, if you own a 12C, you must purchase the McL warranty. McL will not tell you if your car is safe or not.
Which cars have head cracking issues? I have heard of this, but never a definitive model year or production number range.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Care to share the shop? I am sure there are many in SoCal who would be interested (myself included)!
I'll assume gia automotive group is one of them. Another group that I frequently track with in SoCal was sending a couple of their tech's to Mclaren in U.K. for training. Once they are up and running then they will probably inform people (they already do all the track prep, etc on the Mac's).

Just a curious question from my side.... Do the aftermarket warranty companies allow non franchised/authorized Mac dealers work on your car and cover the warranty repairs or does it have to be performed by the Mac dealer?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Seems that cars in this category are targeted to customers who trade every two years or even less. The used car segment is not really the target when they are designing and producing these awesome cars. Sure the cost raises the eyebrows of normal folks, but are the annual service contracts (maybe $6,000/year) out of line with other exotics and pricey rides like Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Bentley?
Car forum members AREN'T the typical owners of these cars. Issues, car buying decisions, what is important to them is not anywhere near what the typical owners in real life care about.

A handful of people on car forums can start creating a narrative of what they think is important to them is actually important to the typical owners of these cars (which it's not).

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is absolutely no statistical basis for saying that all heads crack, its just a matter of time. That's like saying the IMS bearing on all Porsche 996s will fail. Internet hype that is not supported by data.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just renewed my warranty on my 570s. I was back and forth on it as well. Feel better I did for now, pretty much looking at it like this.... keep the car and pay for the warranty or sell the car for something else. It was $3999 for one more year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently purchased a 12C and was also debating the warranty. I looked into third party warranty options and ended up going with a comprehensive plan with Total Auto Protect. They seemed the most professional and were much better priced than a McLaren warranty. I haven't had any warranty issues yet, but my experience with them so far has been positive.

Original thread: Considering 12C, 3rd party warranty options

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm due for the warranty renewal/annual service. I hate the obvious overcharging for the limited work done, but I'd never feel safe without a factory warranty.

·
2012 MP4-12C
498 Posts
I'm due for the warranty renewal/annual service. I hate the obvious overcharging for the limited work done, but I'd never feel safe without a factory warranty.
I used to be this way, but I have found at least 2-3 shops in SoCal who can do dealer-quality work for less than 50% the hourly rate. Yes, you risk major issues (tranny failure or something) but the likelihood of problems is so incredibly low. The longer I have this car worry free (even when modded), the more confident I am in ditching the ESC and saving the large piles of money of which it would otherwise be relieving me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have found a shop in Southern California that works on McLaren. It is staffed by 2 men that worked for McLaren in the service center for years. I know one of them and liked him. They will service and repair my 12 C if needed. They have the McLaren tools for the 12 C and others. A basic service (oil change, check car, fill fluids etc) is about $500.
@themacs, do you mind sharing the name and location of the shop in So Cal that can do the basic service? $500 is a great deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Warranty is coming up this month for my 12c. Last year I paid 5200. Is there a corona discount? Anyone get any deals or have any advice. Thx!

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
Car forum members AREN'T the typical owners of these cars. Issues, car buying decisions, what is important to them is not anywhere near what the typical owners in real life care about.

A handful of people on car forums can start creating a narrative of what they think is important to them is actually important to the typical owners of these cars (which it's not).
SO TRUE!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts