McLaren Life banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
pay extra attention to weight. it's a very large quotient of comfort but only rears it's head after a while.
Will do. I assume SA2020 is better than SA2015? And is there any difference between a motorcycle helmet and a racing helmet?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since they expire, and most clubs won't let you through tech if you have one that is too old, you definitely want SA2020. Also, you want the SA version, not the M version (for motorcycles), since they have different standards and some clubs won't let you use the M version for the track.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
231 Posts
I have an open face Sparco Pro-Jet which I believe meets FIA standards for rally/hillclimb as well as SNELL.

I also have a Schroth HANS Device - the 20 Deg. Super Sport XTL in medium size.

It also meets FIA standards:

I enquired directly at Schroth regarding the HANS - they said the weight difference between their Super Sport and the carbon fibre FHR equivalent was so minimal these days, they recommend the Super Sport to all but very top level competitors.

So in my opinion, you should always get a HANS device to go with your helmet and use 4 or 6 point harnesses - for the price of their XTL it's a no-brainer.

If you follow rallying, for example WRC, they usually use open-face helmets - and they're more likely to go into the greenery than most other forms of motorsport. Obviously their cars are heavily caged to suit and have a windscreen and fixed roof.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
1. I'm a racer, been racing for more than 12 years in closed cockpit cars.
2. As previously mentioned, comfort is the most important factor. Generally the lighter the helmet, the more $$$ it costs, the more comfortable it is.
3. Most tracks require you to drive with windows down so they have access to the cockipit in the event of an accident. A full face helmet will offer more protection in the event something comes into the cockpit in an accident. To me, that's worth the extra heat.
4. Many manufacturers have specific designs labeled "GT" designed for closed cockpit cars with a larger eye opening / better visiiblity. Stilo is one.
5. If you use the helmet with any regularity, the interior will deteriorate in effectiveness due to the sweat etc. It will also get pretty nasty inside. I've never had one make it to expiration before replacing due to deterioration or smell. I have routinely replaced my helmet at the earliest signs of interior padding deterioration.
6. Get a good head sock...it's worth it and will make the helmet less stinky.
7. I've had helmets from HJC and Stilo. Both are excellent

Reactions: invisiblewave

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
233 Posts
Open cockpit racing: Absolutely full face

Closed cockpit racing: Your choice, a little more protection with full face, but a lot more visibility/comfort/breathability with open face. For the other comment, lots of professional drivers use open face helmets. Rally driving, which probably has the most spectacular crashes, open faced is is the norm. Most of the drivers running Pike's Peak, were a slip up can be a fall off a cliff, use open faced helmets, including Randy Pobst. So to say all professionals use full face in a closed cockpit is a bit of a stretch. Even Nascar, which promotes full face, some still wear open faced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Open cockpit racing: Absolutely full face

Closed cockpit racing: Your choice, a little more protection with full face, but a lot more visibility/comfort/breathability with open face. For the other comment, lots of professional drivers use open face helmets. Rally driving, which probably has the most spectacular crashes, open faced is is the norm. Most of the drivers running Pike's Peak, were a slip up can be a fall off a cliff, use open faced helmets, including Randy Pobst. So to say all professionals use full face in a closed cockpit is a bit of a stretch. Even Nascar, which promotes full face, some still wear open faced.
I thank everyone for all of the useful info on this. The results came out differently than I would have thought. I've always used open face so far (tried closed face and too hot and too visually restrictive). But I thought that now that I was upping the speed in the McLaren, closed face plus HANS would be important. Thanks to various input on airbags (yeah, didn't think of that), HANS not working with three point belts, and the use of open face by some full-on professional drivers, I think I'm going to stay open face for now.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts