McLaren Life banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
I still think the guy selling expensive CF should be able to say how much weight each item saves but it seems like you he has better things to do
It's up to the seller how much effort they think that it's worth. From their earlier reply, I suspect that they will post weights when they're convenient to measure. I would accept that most buyers of visible CF do so for looks, rather than weight saving, but, as I said, the more "reasons" you can give someone to buy your product, the better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's up to the seller how much effort they think that it's worth. From their earlier reply, I suspect that they will post weights when they're convenient to measure. I would accept that most buyers of visible CF do so for looks, rather than weight saving, but, as I said, the more "reasons" you can give someone to buy your product, the better.
Exactly, it really helps with the "man maths" as we justify our purchases to ourselves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m surprised you didn’t just answer the question. Just weigh the damn parts and list the numbers man.

That’s like asking Mclaren what the top speed of the 720S is and them replying “Why do you care? All you need to know is that it’s fast! You won’t even get to the top speed anyways! We have better things to do than waste our time on your question you pesky potential customer.”
The OP simply is a reseller offering OEM replacement parts at a discount to the community. The dealer also offers these parts and I would challenge you to propose the same question to the dealer or even McLaren direct. Don't be surprised by any less of a response.

The carbon weight value is probably the difference in a large meal for the day. IMHO if you've never earned a 9 sec slip or top tier lap time the weight difference does not matter. Those jumping on EA or Davids thread with the persistently aggressive question of weight never intended to buy anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The OP simply is a reseller offering OEM replacement parts at a discount to the community. The dealer also offers these parts and I would challenge you to propose the same question to the dealer or even McLaren direct. Don't be surprised by any less of a response.

The carbon weight value is probably the difference in a large meal for the day. IMHO if you've never earned a 9 sec slip or top tier lap time the weight difference does not matter. Those jumping on EA or Davids thread with the persistently aggressive question of weight never intended to buy anyway.
Not sure you are correct !!

Some of the parts advertised are no less than you could get at a dealer and in fact some dealers are selling at a far lower price, so not sure where you have arrived at discount to the community!! Better to buy from your local dealer imo.

• In any event if you are selling high end items you ought to know about them, contrary to some opinions weight does matter. Not picking an argument but putting an alternative point of view

·
Registered
79 Posts

I know that if I asked a dealer I would get a similar response. That doesn’t mean I’m ok with it.

There are two things I have problems with. The first is that if you are not willing to spend your time to provide information on your product, the least you can do is say “sorry but we don’t have the appropriate measurement equipment to answer your question/we can’t afford the time to do such measurements”. Instead of of providing me reasons why I won’t or shouldn’t even care or that it won’t matter anyways. I could be a pro racer building my car up to regulations of a private club. Hell I could just have a hobby of comparing CF parts to regular ones. It’s simply no one’s business to state why I should or shouldn’t care. Just provide the info and let me figure that out by myself.

Second, I’m frustrated by sellers not listing specs in general. On the 86/BRZ forums you could find pages and pages of the members discussion simple things like the best type of LED bulb or which gear shift knob feels best. You see them go very in-depth with these products and even see sellers chiming in offering extra info or giving better deals or taking feedback to improve their products. However, the more high end you go the more attitudes shift towards the “take it or leave it” approach and the more you’re treated like you don’t need to know everything about what you’re buying because you’re not good enough for it anyways even though you’re paying way more here (not talking about this product specifically but in general).

2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Noted,

Thank you to those who support us as it's not defense, they are merely stating that they have received great customer service and support.

For those who don't quite understand that we don't weigh parts against the composite parts as that's not what we do, it is what it is.

Per the original post, the parts have been sold to a McLarenLife member.

2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I know that if I asked a dealer I would get a similar response. That doesn’t mean I’m ok with it.

There are two things I have problems with. The first is that if you are not willing to spend your time to provide information on your product, the least you can do is say “sorry but we don’t have the appropriate measurement equipment to answer your question/we can’t afford the time to do such measurements”. Instead of of providing me reasons why I won’t or shouldn’t even care or that it won’t matter anyways. I could be a pro racer building my car up to regulations of a private club. Hell I could just have a hobby of comparing CF parts to regular ones. It’s simply no one’s business to state why I should or shouldn’t care. Just provide the info and let me figure that out by myself.

Second, I’m frustrated by sellers not listing specs in general. On the 86/BRZ forums you could find pages and pages of the members discussion simple things like the best type of LED bulb or which gear shift knob feels best. You see them go very in-depth with these products and even see sellers chiming in offering extra info or giving better deals or taking feedback to improve their products. However, the more high end you go the more attitudes shift towards the “take it or leave it” approach and the more you’re treated like you don’t need to know everything about what you’re buying because you’re not good enough for it anyways even though you’re paying way more here (not talking about this product specifically but in general).

That's absolutely correct as I talk to dealers daily.

Now, for those posting on this thread with your complaints and or questions that haven't been answered to your satisfaction.

I would suggest that you start a new thread on what you would like to see and perhaps we can work together on putting these answers together for everyone to see and learn from.

As a community we should be putting our heads together, not having tit for tat disagreements ;).

2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like the parts are still available, if anyone is interested please feel free to reach out directly via Text/Voice or PM.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts