McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search before I start in with the newbie questions and didn't really find answers.

Here we go....

Does the fuel gauge ever show completely full?

How many gallons does the car really hold? It seems to take 15 gallons when the reserve light is on.

What is up with the distance to empty? It reads all over the place.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I did a quick search before I start in with the newbie questions and didn't really find answers.

Here we go....

How many gallons does the car really hold? It seems to take 15 gallons when the reserve light is on.

What is up with the distance to empty? It reads all over the place.....

Thanks!
That old chestnut!!
It holds as you say,or 75 ltrs,however nobody has yet been able to put in more the 55/56 litres when its fully empty with no mileage left on the countdown.So the reserve that you dare not use is 4 gallons :confused:
We suppose that's because you can get down to 4mpg,but why is that if you have been on a long run at 30mpg it still registers empty with 4 gallons left :confused: One small querie I have been trying to find the answer too for ages !!

·
Registered
314 Posts
NO! This is a huge annoyance, and just plain old sloppy programming. It's ALWAYS 1 pixel short of showing a full bar.

Also, I don't know why they can't be like other conventional cars fuel gauges, and let me drive 20-30 miles before coming off full. An 8 mile trip from the gas station to home, and the gauge has already started to drop. :(

Range is another annoyance (and frankly useless). They certainly could have used better heuristics for computing it.

·
Owner
277 Posts
NO! This is a huge annoyance, and just plain old sloppy programming. It's ALWAYS 1 pixel short of showing a full bar.

Also, I don't know why they can't be like other conventional cars fuel gauges, and let me drive 20-30 miles before coming off full. An 8 mile trip from the gas station to home, and the gauge has already started to drop. :(

Range is another annoyance (and frankly useless). They certainly could have used better heuristics for computing it.
Mine shows full and takes a long time to drop in USA it holds 19 gallons it starts to show low at 4 gallons then at 3 gallons another screen comes on saying fill it or something like that and as you drive because of gas moving in the tank the screen goes back and forth from screen 1 to screen 2 for another gallon. You have plenty of time to get gas after first or even second warning. If last bar doesn't go on then it is dealer time sender is out of wack.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine shows full and takes a long time to drop in USA it holds 19 gallons it starts to show low at 4 gallons then at 3 gallons another screen comes on saying fill it or something like that and as you drive because of gas moving in the tank the screen goes back and forth from screen 1 to screen 2 for another gallon. You have plenty of time to get gas after first or even second warning. If last bar doesn't go on then it is dealer time sender is out of wack.
I must not be the only one then, since the OP asked as well. Post a pic of full bar, I'm curious to see :p

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Same here - would rather stop and get gas vs run out in an emergency when it's not convenient.

Timborama I filled up yesterday but next time I will snap a picture - because you asked so politely :rolleyes:

·
Owner
893 Posts
I've never gotten too low on fuel; but, the owners manual states: The fuel bar (graph) will turn Red at approx. 3 U.S. gallons/2.4 Imperial gallons.
You guys are also saying, that there is a written warning displayed on the somewhere in dash display ??:confused:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I've never gotten too low on fuel; but, the owners manual states: The fuel bar (graph) will turn Red at approx. 3 U.S. gallons/2.4 Imperial gallons.
You guys are also saying, that there is a written warning displayed on the somewhere in dash display ??:confused:
Are you kidding me, that's got to be a first, a guy who's actually read the owners manual. LOL? All jokes a side I always do, but from what I've heard most guys don't read owners manuals or instruction, that deserves another. LOL?. Cheers....??

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Not 100% sure where the fuel pump is but if it is in-tank like most cars, it is being kept cool by the fuel and so it is never a great idea to run it near empty.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Ah ha... That would be a good explanation Erik....

I have to say that I really have grown to like the range prediction.... It's the most accurate I have ever used. .. When you first use it, it's a tad confusing as the range changes rapidly depending on your driving.. But you soon get used to it, and it becomes very advantageous. For example if you're pushing hard you can use it to manage how hard you can push to get to where you want to be.. I find it much more useful, but it does take getting used to having been used to the average consumption calcs that most others use.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
What drives me bananas is when it decides you need to fill up, it just drops any further (useful) indication of range left. I know I need to fill up but knowing the difference between "I say chap, perhaps you should consider putting a drop in whenever you happen to be passing the next filling station" and "Fill the f**k up now b!tch" would be so much better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree. It gives the least amount of information when the information is most critical. Who wants the range estimate to turn into a low fuel warning light when the range gets tight?

I stopped using it and instead track miles per fill up on the trip odometer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Welcome to the Wacky World of McLaren electronics! I wonder if there's a bunch of ex-Lucas engineers at Woking?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts