McLaren Life banner

Front Windshield Breaking / Coating issues

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  invisiblewave 
#1 ·
I have been told that you really need the coating on the front windshield as they are easy to break. Even by simply closing the door to hard can crack it. It is about $900 I understand.

Has anyone had any experiance or that the windshield coated? It is a plastic coating that does not affect clarity etc.

Thasnks for any replies.

#4 ·
My apologies, I thought you were talking about the cost of replacing the windshield. Kind of embarrassing. I am in LA and have had a number of wraps done by Elevated Auto Concepts in Pasadena, a small shop but I was very pleased with Mike’s work. All of my electronics, radar, laser, cameras etc. have been done by Audio Illusions in Calabasas, Kevin does great work too.

#5 ·
I have Clearplex on my 600LT. The week I had it installed I took a rock to the windshield at a track day, left behind nothing but some dust.

I would recommend giving the care instructions a read before you get it. You don't care for it with "normal" windshield products like glass cleaner and there are some other "oddities" (it needs to be waxed!)

But overall it seems like a great product and will save you some headaches.

#6 ·
I have Clearplex on my 600LT. The week I had it installed I took a rock to the windshield at a track day, left behind nothing but some dust.

I would recommend giving the care instructions a read before you get it. You don't care for it with "normal" windshield products like glass cleaner and there are some other "oddities" (it needs to be waxed!)

But overall it seems like a great product and will save you some headaches.
Thanks for posting the instructions, I had mine fitted last week, cost was $700.

#8 ·
Clearplex comments : I track a McLaren and a C7 Corvette . Have 4 years experience with Clearplex on both cars multiple times and have a great and experienced installer I will not use it again on my Corvette which has a relatively cheap windshield Why because one track day where you think the track is dust /grit free may still “sandblast “ the Clearplex coated windshield enough to make the compromise the view from driver’s eyes looking westbound into the late afternoon sun driving home after the track event as it has become frustratingly obscured by the many tiny pits that have now permanently pockmarked you expensive Clearplex coating.Not a problem on hard glass sans Clearplex coating
However, on a McLaren with its costly windshield there is more justification to use Clearplex ( I guess )
My installer actually says Clearplex is best as a one race / single day or weekend application on a car with a soft or very expensive windshield

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.