McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I currently have 1500 miles on my 2012 MP4. I had McLaren Philly look at my front wheels clicking. Apparently there was a bulletin for it. They fixed it and about 200 miles later its back, but worse. LOUD as hell turning in a parking lot. Its embarrassing. I have the steel brakes and apparently it is because of brake dust build up.

Anyone else have this problem and had a permanent fix?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
sorry that's new to me. I have a brake pad squeak a bit, after tracking. It's normal and dies down after a bit of normal driving. But this sounds different.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not sure if it's the same thing but I had a knocking noise only when turning right. Dealer replaced/re-torqued most of the bolts in the steering and suspension system and the noise dissapeared. However, the noise returned after maybe 6 weeks/1000 km. I was told the fix second time around was simply cleaning the wheels and hubs which appears to have worked. I'm a little skeptical about the brake dust explanation, my first car with iron brakes covered 8k km without issues, my second car 7k km before the problem arose but then only about 1k before a repeat ... I jet wash the wheels and brakes most weekends and looking at the black pools under the car when I'm finished I'd be surprised if there was much dust left in place.

Will be very interesting to see if others have experienced anything similar.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
It sounds like a brake/rotor issue. I have experienced clicking noises on several cars in the past and all were related to brakes/pads/rotors in some way.

Whether or not that is the case here, I don't know. Seems way to low of mileage for that to be an issue. Have you tried just washing them really well? Did it go away?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a brake/rotor issue. I have experienced clicking noises on several cars in the past and all were related to brakes/pads/rotors in some way.

Whether or not that is the case here, I don't know. Seems way to low of mileage for that to be an issue. Have you tried just washing them really well? Did it go away?
YES and it does not go away.

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
886 Posts
So it only does it at slow speeds?

Go faster :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just came from the track and I am getting clacking noise when turning wheels. Even at low speed, like when parking, I have a clicking and clacking noise that disappears when the wheel is strait or when unwinding it after the turn. It goes for both directions and very noticeable but the car does not feel any different.

Did any of you find a resolution? I will try cleaning the hubs and wheels this coming week to see if that works. But are there any other suggestions? My car only has 4K km.

·
OWNER
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer fixed the problem by removing the wheel and cleaned the hub to wheel area. It lasted about 100 miles before it returned. It went back and they did the same thing BUT added some kind of paste between the wheel and hub. So far so good (250 miles) but the winter hit here in Maryland and she has been parked for months. My car only has 1300 miles. It is annoying as hell but my dealer (mclaren philly) always does a great job of servicing the problem.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Does it happen with warm tyres?

My car does it when tyre are cold but not when warm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It doesn't matter if the tires are warm or not. It just clicks and clacks when the steering is turned. I hope the cleaning and greasing will work. It did for my Murcie and this sounds similar to that except it's more pronounced this time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know if I'm talking about the same thing, but my car does get a click-click-click when I have the wheel turned far to either direction, at slow speeds- like when backing out of my driveway. It doesn't happen over about 5 mph, but then you rarely turn the wheel to full lock on the open road.
I attributed this to the effect of castor in the alignment settings, as I have experienced the same phenomenon on a couple of race cars. My solution is to ignore it, which has worked for 7,000 miles.
If there is an additional low speed/clicking phenomenon, I'm not aware of it. AS

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is perfectly normal; any car with wide front tyres and moving at low speeds will exhibit this.

Across an axle for example one side is allowed to rotate at a different speed relative to the other side as it needs to travel a shorter/longer distance when cornering. This also happens across the width of a wide tyre but obviously one side can't 'slip' relative to other so you get a funny noise and sometimes juddering. Speed and how old/new your tyres are can contribute to the problem some

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know if I'm talking about the same thing, but my car does get a click-click-click when I have the wheel turned far to either direction, at slow speeds- like when backing out of my driveway. It doesn't happen over about 5 mph, but then you rarely turn the wheel to full lock on the open road.
I attributed this to the effect of castor in the alignment settings, as I have experienced the same phenomenon on a couple of race cars. My solution is to ignore it, which has worked for 7,000 miles.
If there is an additional low speed/clicking phenomenon, I'm not aware of it. AS
I noticed this right off with my 12c, backing out of the garage with the steering wheel cranked hard to the side. I just thought this was normal due to caster / etc. It feels like to give you as tight as radius as possible, it skips a little a 2mph....

·
Registered
219 Posts
mine clicks and clacks even if not fully turned. both slow speed and fast. as i've said, it is pretty noticeable in the cabin when running on the track. i know of the sound when the steering is fully turned (like when parking) but this is normal and not what i am complaining about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I understand. That is a different problem. Do you feel it through the wheel, or is the steering normal when the sound occurs?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it is tires, it is probably just the reverse ackerman and totally normal - you should feel a judder in the steering wheel. If it is a metallic clicking sound that you don't feel, just hear esp at low speeds, it could be stiction and the hub/wheel interface. here is a TSB on the Cadillac CTS-V; my V did this clicking

A customer may comment on a clicking noise emanating from the front wheels. This condition is noticed at low speed (walking speed) during full wheel lock turns on dry clean pavement (Full lock parking lot maneuver). The clicking noise is generally noted as approximately 1 to 4 "clicks" per wheel revolution.
The CTS-V has lightweight high performance front rotors with an aluminum center. The clicking sound is caused by interaction between the wheel mounting face and wheel mounting surface on the brake rotor caused by the aluminum-to-aluminum interface. With properly mounted wheels, and the wheel nuts torqued to specification, this “clicking” is NOT a safety issue. Until a permanent solution is released, a cleaning process is recommended as a regular maintenance item for those vehicles with this concern.

Important: A permanent solution has been developed, and should be available in the fourth quarter of 2012, until then the cleaning process is recommended as a regular maintenance item.The cleaning maintenance procedure described below should be performed as required at each oil change per the Oil Life Monitor system (approximately every 7500 miles) or whenever tires are replaced. This cleaning process is added to the 2011 - 2012 Cadillac Premium Care Maintenance Program. For 2009-2010 CTS-Vs, the cleaning procedure should be used if the customer is dissatisfied with the noise, and should be performed at tire replacement and/or at oil changes.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the procedure below on both front wheels; it is not necessary to clean the rear wheels for the "clicking" condition.

Note: Do NOT replace the Front wheel or brake rotor for the clicking condition.
Procedure:
1. Remove wheel
2. Clean wheel as follows:
2.1 Use clean cloth dampened with GM Brake Parts Cleaner 12378556 (in Canada, P/N 88901247) or equivalent.
2.2 Wipe the mounting surface of the wheel to remove any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the wheel mounting surface. Be careful not to use the Brake Cleaner on the painted or clear coated surfaces of the wheel. It is also helpful to use a Scotch-Brite Cleaning Pad to aid in cleaning. Be sure NOT to use the scotch pads (Roloc disc) on the aluminum material. All cleaning MUST be done by hand, do NOT use ANY air or power tools!
3. Clean the rotor top hat as follows:
3.1 Use clean cloth dampened with GM Brake Parts Cleaner 12378392 (in Canada, P/N 88901247) or equivalent.
3.2 Clean the wheel mounting surface of the rotor (rotor top hat) to remove any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the rotor. During the cleaning process be sure to clean the rotor near the wheel pilot at the center of the rotor. It is also helpful to use a Scotch-Brite Cleaning Pad to aid in cleaning. Be sure to NOT use scotch pads (Roloc discs) on the aluminum material. All cleaning MUST be done by hand, do NOT use ANY air or power tools!
4. Reinstall wheels

1 - 20 of 30 Posts