McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put down my deposit and now am a bit concerned to learn there is no front lift. For those that have driven the car in the real world..ie parking garages, over speed bumps, up driveways, etc-- have there been any problems?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just put down my deposit and now am a bit concerned to learn there is no front lift. For those that have driven the car in the real world..ie parking garages, over speed bumps, up driveways, etc-- have there been any problems?
No problems with mine so far. It's way better than certain exotics I've driven.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
One thing I particularly noted about the MP4-12C was the rather minimal (relatively speaking) front-rear overhang, presumably making ascent/descent angles much more manageable & navigable. Not sure if this is perception or reality.

Regardless, I've always been a fan of cab-forward designed platforms, in-particular w/ rear mid-engine sports-cars!

Some interesting figures:

MP4-12C
Wheelbase: 2,670 mm (105.1 in)
Length: 4,507 mm (177.4 in)

458 Italia
Wheelbase: 2,650 mm (104.3 in)
Length: 4,527 mm (178.2 in)

Gallardo
Wheelbase: 2,560 mm (100.8 in)
Length: 4,345 mm (171.1 in)

R8
Wheelbase: 2,650 mm (104.3 in)
Length: 4,431 mm (174.4 in)

Evora
Wheelbase: 2,575 mm (101.4 in)
Length: 4,342 mm (170.9 in)

Cayman (987)
Wheelbase : 2,416 mm (95.1 in)
Length: 4,376 mm (172.3 in)

911 (997)
Wheelbase: 2,350 mm (92.5 in)
Length: 4,460 mm (175.6 in)

... from Wikipedia (will verify manufacturers specs. when I get the chance)

·
Administrator
2,643 Posts
If you are concerned, you should be able to get a 3rd party system fitted post production.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After owning 5 x Gallardo's [all with front lifting] , and a MAC albeit for 3 weeks i personally think it definately needs front lifting !!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
plenty of high speed bumps in the villages around me,and not had any problem ,in normal mode it rides them better than my 997tt.just been to a friends house that he cant get a DB9 up the angled drive,and i had no problem.
the overhangs are very small,and the main help is there is no low splitter to get in the way.

·
Phil
241 Posts
The roads in Squirrelville are evil and the MP4-12C is no worse over speed bumps & other obstacles than my M3... Protector blocks get scraped a bit but that's what they're there for. I don't think lifters are necessary...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Squirrel. Which of your past cars would you repurchase? Lotus Carlton? no it would be............

·
Registered
98 Posts
During my test drive, the front did scrape over bumps. But I don't really plan to take it anywhere with bumps so not a real issue for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i don't think ground clearance will be an issue. I have been driving F40's for years and i cannot think of a car with more over hang and worse clearance than that, and we manage just fine. Its all about knowing your car. I don't think anyone should have a problem with a 12C

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd like a front lift please!

·
Administrator
2,643 Posts
You might be able to install one of these kits:

AIR SUSPENSION KIT
Ø Price range:USD1459/SET~UP
Ø Adjust the ride height by wireless controller.
Ø The speed of lowering and raising vehicle ride height is 2-7 seconds only.
Ø The features of this kit are demonstration, show-off and hookup.
Ø Shock absorbers, compressor, air bag has one year limited warranty

D2 rally racing team got the first place in Rally Championship in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

We are a leading manufacturer of high performance air suspension kits in Taiwan andthe qualified manufacturer that is approved by TUV/ ISO 9001:2008, TÜV Österreich, FIA for some items as well as obtained the testing report of 1 million times without oil leaking from WORLD "ARTC" (Automotive Research Testing Center).

We also provide ODM/OEM service for customers.
Please feel free to visit our website at: WWW.D2-SUS.COM for further information.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
There's a bespoke fabricator/tuner in the Pacific Northwest who has been doing custom "lift" kits for high-performance/exotic/luxo' vehicle owners for many, many years. I've seen the work, top-notch. I imagine that such a proprietor can be solicited for offering a solution to MP4-12C owners in their respective areas, though it'd be an interesting endeavor as the 12C has an non-ubiquitous suspension design (namely no dampers, but instead hydraulic-cylinders!).

Reference: Umbrella Auto Design - VRH Suspension

How's the rep' for this manufacturer across the pond? In the States, D2 Racing-Sport is perceived (and recognized) as a knock-off/copycat/replica manufacturer for the performance tuner & import communities.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My first post gentlemen, expecting delivery in early Feb. Does anyone know the angle to the ground that would be formed if one were to slide a thin sheet of plywood up to the front contact patches, and then lift the board to meet the splitter? I don't see that angle published in any of the specs. My driveway is a rather steep decent where it meets the street and my GT-R splitter comes within 2mm of making contact. I was going to use that as a reference to see if I will need to regrade the mouth of the driveway or not. Much appreciated if anyone knows.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts