McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm a new McLaren owner, and purchased a Stealth Gray 570S last week and was delivered to me Thursday. It was raining all week so my first chance to drive the car was this past Sunday. On the first drive on the highway, BOTH sides of the lower front bumper covers flew off. I had purchased the CPO extended warranty through McLaren of Houston when I bought the car last week, but apparently the warranty is as good as the paper it's written on. I contacted my local dealer here in Tampa and the service advisor claims that the panels breaking off like that would not be covered.

I am highly disappointed that this is the level of customer service I'm experiencing, regardless of the amount of money spent on this car. I own several businesses and this is not the way things should be handled.

Any advice on where I should go from here? Anybody else experienced this same issue with these bumper covers?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hey guys. I'm a new McLaren owner, and purchased a Stealth Gray 570S last week and was delivered to me Thursday. It was raining all week so my first chance to drive the car was this past Sunday. On the first drive on the highway, BOTH sides of the lower front bumper covers flew off. I had purchased the CPO extended warranty through McLaren of Houston when I bought the car last week, but apparently the warranty is as good as the paper it's written on. I contacted my local dealer here in Tampa and the service advisor claims that the panels breaking off like that would not be covered.

I am highly disappointed that this is the level of customer service I'm experiencing, regardless of the amount of money spent on this car. I own several businesses and this is not the way things should be handled.

Any advice on where I should go from here? Anybody else experienced this same issue with these bumper covers?

View attachment 203078 View attachment 203079

did they get a PPF or sth for the car before you bought it or performed some other body work ? this looks like someone did not clip the parts in correctly again after deinstall bc it happened on both sides ...

·
Registered
234 Posts
This scenario has been posted several times over the years. PPF installer didn't reattach correctly.

Did you find the panels after they flew off?

If not, these pop up on eBay every now and then. Here's an example, maybe even the same color.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Contact [email protected] - I suspect that Pat will have this sorted pretty quickly. Selling a car without the body panels properly attached is dangerous, and not something that any dealer should take lightly. Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Let me guess…Dimmit McLaren? They suck!!!! I literally sold my car because they put me off the brand so bad. Many bad experiences there, mostly with sales. I hope they go under.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
wow!
between houston and tampa,you're dealing with 2 real winners there!
hopefully houston will make good on the missing parts and if you're really lucky,dimmit may even install them right !

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Let me guess…Dimmit McLaren? They suck!!!! I literally sold my car because they put me off the brand so bad. Many bad experiences there, mostly with sales. I hope they go under.
I have never dealt with Dimmitt... However, this is another example of the reason to buy from your servicing dealer.

Extended warranty says no - as they should. Why would Dimmitt do any type of favor for a car that ESC won't cover and a car they didn't sell?

You winded up buying a mclaren press car track pack which I'm assuming that Dimmitt didn't have and you got from elsewhere. Buying a car is not difficult. It seems that people judge the sales/buying experience as positive if the dealer is giving you a good deal.

It's a further example of buying a car from non servicing dealer and expecting the servicing dealer to do you a favor and comp. it, which they won't.

A used car that is transported half way across the country and in the first drive this happens? Why wouldn't this happen way before?

To the O.P. - How much $$$ are we talking to get this sorted, if you had to pay?

Reactions: my2000si

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Have seen this a few times and always seems to be florida cars that have the panels fall off maybe same clear bra guy not reinstall properly. ya really shouldn't have to even take them off to put in xpel pattern

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If these are continuing dealer faults it’s really a shame this falls back onto Mclaren as a company ... it’s totally within a dealers responsibility to make sure panels are correctly reattached and if they neglect this when they sell a car they should be kept responsible ... of course a problem if it’s from a 3rd party dealer and the servicing dealer has no knowledge about it and did not see the car before ... however I would than ask the servicing dealer to write down the issue and cause and file a claim against the selling party (if you of course did sign a waiver it’s a problem and I guess you need to file the damage under learning fee, sorry)

·
Owner
975 Posts
I've had these off. If I remember correctly they are $400 or so each. They are not hard to R&R but they obviously work with air flow and is critical to secure properly. They don't come painted, but any good body shop should be able to match it fine. I bought my car from Houston. They treated me right. Hopefully they will make it right for you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have never dealt with Dimmitt... However, this is another example of the reason to buy from your servicing dealer.

Extended warranty says no - as they should. Why would Dimmitt do any type of favor for a car that ESC won't cover and a car they didn't sell?

You winded up buying a mclaren press car track pack which I'm assuming that Dimmitt didn't have and you got from elsewhere. Buying a car is not difficult. It seems that people judge the sales/buying experience as positive if the dealer is giving you a good deal.

It's a further example of buying a car from non servicing dealer and expecting the servicing dealer to do you a favor and comp. it, which they won't.

A used car that is transported half way across the country and in the first drive this happens? Why wouldn't this happen way before?

To the O.P. - How much $$$ are we talking to get this sorted, if you had to pay?
You assumed a lot. First of all, I tried to buy a car from them, there's even a video on my YouTube channel from the test drive that sold me on McLarens. From there it went downhill. Have you ever had to call a salesman to buy a car after the fact? HELL NO, they blow our phone up! My salesman had another appt coming in that day so after the test drive I told him I wanted the car and to call me later so we could talk numbers on my trade. Crickets….I call and leave a VM, nothing. I call another salesman….nothing. I text the original salesman, nothing. Okay the search goes on and I find my car out of state and had an amazing experience with Mclaren Philly.

During this wait a group of us go back (less than a month later) to Dimmit for a cars and coffee event while my car is shipping down and I see the salesman who ghosted me and I ask him why he never returned my calls and he goes "who are you?" ….. are you fucking kidding me?! Meanwhile the car I tried to buy is sitting outside still for sale at 10k UNDER MY OFFER! LOLOLOL! After this exchange I walk away and find my group. And thats not where that morning ends... I want you to picture a very crowded dealership, with 60+ people all sitting in demo cars on the showroom floor. Doors up, kids crawling around all over the consoles, etc. It was bad. My buddy (who can buy a P1 in cash and not blink) walks up to a non-roped off P1 next to the other cars and opens the door to take a peek inside, the door opens but the alarm goes off. The alzheimer salesman comes UNGLUED and yells at him in front of said 60 people! He was extremely embarrassed. This was a very aggressive ass chewing, not a simple, "don't touch that". How about you lock the fucking door and rope it off if you don't want people to touch it when you have 5 other cars (720's, 600LT's, etc) with kids all over them right next to it! They had a Senna roped off, copy that, nobody went near it.

Fast foward a couple months and I'm with a large group of exotics that swing in Dimmit on the way back from a short rally. A different buddy of mine was in the market for a McLaren, coming from Ferrari ownership. We find some 2019 570's with new and non-discounted window stickers on the used car side. It's 2020 and we are looking at a 2019 car when the sales manager walks by us in the lot. I speak up and ask "sir, do do know how much this is going for?" …. he looks in my eyes and says "theres the window sticker right there, try reading that" (in a VERY condescending tone)…. WHAT!!!! WHO THE FUCK SAYS THAT! I of course stand there in shock for a couple seconds thinking I'm on a prank TV show and when the realization hits that a sales manager just said what he said I exchanged some words with him. Not in a pompous way either… I said "yeah I see the sticker, it's a 2019, we are currently in 2020 and this is on the used car side, so is it leftover stock or was it preowned?" He looks at me and says "guys we are really busy right now, I don't have time right now for you" and just walks inside!!!!!! Our group of 10+ people were in utter disbelief, most of them owned multiple supercars and were speechless.

Guess where my buddy bought his Mclaren 600LT with 310K sticker? Yup! Mac Philly! Fuck Dimmit. I will tell this chain of events to EVERY PERSON that brings up purchasing a car from them. Fuck em!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You assumed a lot. First of all, I tried to buy a car from them, there's even a video on my YouTube channel from the test drive that sold me on McLarens. From there it went downhill. Have you ever had to call a salesman to buy a car after the fact? HELL NO, they blow our phone up! My salesman had another appt coming in that day so after the test drive I told him I wanted the car and to call me later so we could talk numbers on my trade. Crickets….I call and leave a VM, nothing. I call another salesman….nothing. I text the original salesman, nothing. Okay the search goes on and I find my car out of state and had an amazing experience with Mclaren Philly.

During this wait a group of us go back (less than a month later) to Dimmit for a cars and coffee event while my car is shipping down and I see the salesman who ghosted me and I ask him why he never returned my calls and he goes "who are you?" ….. are you fucking kidding me?! Meanwhile the car I tried to buy is sitting outside still for sale at 10k UNDER MY OFFER! LOLOLOL! After this exchange I walk away and find my group. And thats not where that morning ends... I want you to picture a very crowded dealership, with 60+ people all sitting in demo cars on the showroom floor. Doors up, kids crawling around all over the consoles, etc. It was bad. My buddy (who can buy a P1 in cash and not blink) walks up to a non-roped off P1 next to the other cars and opens the door to take a peek inside, the door opens but the alarm goes off. The alzheimer salesman comes UNGLUED and yells at him in front of said 60 people! He was extremely embarrassed. This was a very aggressive ass chewing, not a simple, "don't touch that". How about you lock the fucking door and rope it off if you don't want people to touch it when you have 5 other cars (720's, 600LT's, etc) with kids all over them right next to it! They had a Senna roped off, copy that, nobody went near it.

Fast foward a couple months and I'm with a large group of exotics that swing in Dimmit on the way back from a short rally. A different buddy of mine was in the market for a McLaren, coming from Ferrari ownership. We find some 2019 570's with new and non-discounted window stickers on the used car side. It's 2020 and we are looking at a 2019 car when the sales manager walks by us in the lot. I speak up and ask "sir, do do know how much this is going for?" …. he looks in my eyes and says "theres the window sticker right there, try reading that" (in a VERY condescending tone)…. WHAT!!!! WHO THE FUCK SAYS THAT! I of course stand there in shock for a couple seconds thinking I'm on a prank TV show and when the realization hits that a sales manager just said what he said I exchanged some words with him. Not in a pompous way either… I said "yeah I see the sticker, it's a 2019, we are currently in 2020 and this is on the used car side, so is it leftover stock or was it preowned?" He looks at me and says "guys we are really busy right now, I don't have time right now for you" and just walks inside!!!!!! Our group of 10+ people were in utter disbelief, most of them owned multiple supercars and were speechless.

Guess where my buddy bought his Mclaren 600LT with 310K sticker? Yup! Mac Philly! Fuck Dimmit. I will tell this chain of events to EVERY PERSON that brings up purchasing a car from them. Fuck em!
this sounds like a freak show of a dealer ... there should be a system in place that should allow McLaren to pull the plug from such dealers as it hurts the brand as a whole.

Reactions: NFARVW

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Cannot overemphasize Dimmitt‘s worthlessness as a dealer and this applies to both sales and service.
I have never dealt with them for the other brands they carry, but mclaren corporate should seriously take a look at how they operate !

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you live in that area, even if you bought from somewhere else, its difficult to go elsewhere for service. But given the behavior on the sales side, there's no way I would trust their service department. So if I lived in Tampa, I think I would just not buy one. With so few dealers, McLaren really can't afford to allow bad dealers like this to continue to operate.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you live in that area, even if you bought from somewhere else, its difficult to go elsewhere for service. But given the behavior on the sales side, there's no way I would trust their service department. So if I lived in Tampa, I think I would just not buy one. With so few dealers, McLaren really can't afford to allow bad dealers like this to continue to operate.
This played into my move into a Lamborghini. McLaren builds a great car but their dealerships are nothing special. The Irony is the sales and service dept at my local Mercedes Benz Dealer (Tampa) was EXCEPTIONAL and when my wife is done with her current car, I'll be buying another from them, no question. Hell, the Toyota dealer is a league ahead of Dimmit when I bring my truck in. So sad...

·
Registered
100 Posts
You guys are a bit off topic from the original thread, but I had the absolute best buying experience with Dimmitt aka McLaren TB.

Matt Jones (Sales Director) sold me a McLaren Qualified car sight unseen except for pictures. He personally drove the car transport to me in Atlanta, 500 miles each way. Delivered it in my driveway, we spent 2 hours going through delivery and finalizing paperwork. He then took my existing car back to Tampa (was doing a trade-in). What salesperson does that??? Drives 1000 total miles (in a single day mind you!) to a deliver a car to a customer he has never met and never once bought a car with them? And I was not charged for that delivery service.

Their office team was pretty slack, however... it took us a while to get the McLaren systems updated with the new owner (me), and we had some other paperwork issues which were not Matt's fault.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts