McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend wanted either a 12c or a 458 .
Took a Ferrari out for a few hours . This morning he came round mine and drove the Big Mac . We went out for a good drive on some great roads ( convoy of Cgt, 12 c , conti gt and 3.8rs , the last one his ) . I thought in that great bunch and the roads I picked the 12 c would walk it , you know occasion , company etc . Unfortunately by the we got to the roads it was a little busy so the drive could have been better . He is not as into his driving ( feel , responsiveness and other old Porsche beard crap ) as i am yet did not like the mac .
I was very surprised , he said it was ' boring ' in comparison and didn't grab him . He also said that it was " much much much " faster than the 458 but " not as exciting and fun at lower speeds " . Wanted him to buy it then I still would have seen her sometimes :(
Bugger .

·
Registered
240 Posts
Took a Ferrari out for a few hours . This morning he came round mine and drove the Big Mac . We went out for a good drive on some great roads ( convoy of Cgt, 12 c , conti gt and 3.8rs , the last one his ) . I thought in that great bunch and the roads I picked the 12 c would walk it , you know occasion , company etc . Unfortunately by the we got to the roads it was a little busy so the drive could have been better . He is not as into his driving ( feel , responsiveness and other old Porsche beard crap ) as i am yet did not like the mac .
I was very surprised , he said it was ' boring ' in comparison and didn't grab him . He also said that it was " much much much " faster than the 458 but " not as exciting and fun at lower speeds " . Wanted him to buy it then I still would have seen her sometimes :(
Bugger .
Did he work for Evo? ;);)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did he work for Evo? ;);)
Lol
No he didn't but I tried to tell him it's one of those cars that needs more time to gel with as its different kind of experience but my words fell on deaf ears .

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
At least his reasons were sound. More so than idiots at EVO. Some guys like to go slow. If you like the "jack russle terrier jumping at your face" dynamics going 25mph, he's spot on. The 458 gives you that. So do rim spinners. :)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least his reasons were sound. More so than idiots at EVO. Some guys like to go slow. If you like the "jack russle terrier jumping at your face" dynamics going 25mph, he's spot on. The 458 gives you that. So do rim spinners. :)
I don't know what that means

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't know what that means
Rim spinners are here:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/staff/dbates/spinners.gif

As for "jack russell terrier" dynamics, here you go:

http://gifs.gifbin.com/082012/1346345854_bouncing_jack_russells.gif

By it, I mean that the 458 feels super active even when you are not driving fast nor being super active. It does give you a greater sense of speed when you're going slow. And if you go slow most of the time, and you like that added sense of speed, it's a good choice and fair criteria.

·
Registered
308 Posts
By it, I mean that the 458 feels super active even when you are not driving fast nor being super active. It does give you a greater sense of speed when you're going slow. And if you go slow most of the time, and you like that added sense of speed, it's a good choice and fair criteria.
After two years in a 458 I'd say that's a good assessment of the driving sensation. With a very tuneful exhaust and a livewire throttle, the Ferrari is always straining at the leash and ready for action. The Mac is more relaxed, composed but wakes up with an almighty growl when prodded. They are both excellent cars and I'm honest when I say I don't know which one I prefer.

·
Owner
166 Posts
Did he drive and push on with traction off?

Personally, I think the 458 is a sexier looking car, but I didn't like the drive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
For the slow, around town driving, he is correct IMO. "Sense of occasion" and drama. Quite fun. Especially if the 458 is red!

Too bad though, I'd rather see the coffers of Woking filled than another showboat trumpeting around. 458 is two years longer in production, yet still fights gremlins.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bugger .

Ferrari built the 458 for driving slow, to be noticed even when crawling at city traffic. Especially when one needs to rev it to 4000rpm in order to have any noticeable torque output. Once at speed it will eat dust from the 911 Turbo or now the MP4-12C.

Personally, I'd rather have a 911 Turbo for slow speed, nothing beats its low end torque, instant power, no power lag like the Ferrari.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always figured the time to build boost was about equal to time to rev or downshift. For daily use I prefer the 911 turbo shove, always on tap whereas how often is the Ferrari rev'd high? Supercharger should be best of both worlds but unpopular for some reason, probably inefficiency.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I understand that. If you aren't someone who appreciates the melding of a car that is fast on the track and tractable around town, the Ferrari exhaust shriek and low speed punch is impressive. But, if you ask, "which could I really drive 100 miles?", all the McLaren features stand out.
The Ferrari is flashier, inside and out. But, I got tired of all the "look at me, I'm in a Ferrari" elements. That car is designed so people notice you. The McLaren is designed for people who really appreciate racing technology in a streetable vehicle, and don't necessarily want to shout, " I"m rich!". Nobody on the street even knows what a McLaren is. If that upsets you, then Ferrari is the right choice.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I always figured the time to build boost was about equal to time to rev or downshift. For daily use I prefer the 911 turbo shove, always on tap whereas how often is the Ferrari rev'd high? Supercharger should be best of both worlds but unpopular for some reason, probably inefficiency.
Mine is rev'd high often! ;)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I understand that. If you aren't someone who appreciates the melding of a car that is fast on the track and tractable around town, the Ferrari exhaust shriek and low speed punch is impressive. But, if you ask, "which could I really drive 100 miles?", all the McLaren features stand out.
The Ferrari is flashier, inside and out. But, I got tired of all the "look at me, I'm in a Ferrari" elements. That car is designed so people notice you. The McLaren is designed for people who really appreciate racing technology in a streetable vehicle, and don't necessarily want to shout, " I"m rich!". Nobody on the street even knows what a McLaren is. If that upsets you, then Ferrari is the right choice.
Seriously? Then you must have a 12C in the wrong color. It gets noticed plenty here.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Seriously? Then you must have a 12C in the wrong color. It gets noticed plenty here.
I get a ton of thumbs up around the city. It brings a smile to everyone that sees it, which slightly restores my faith in humanity that everyone is not destined to have or born with resting bitchface.

You get nice conversations too, from the simple "what is that" "how much is that" to super in depth conversations with folks about cars; people that know what a mclaren is tend to be real car nerds.

I don't doubt you get more looks in a bright red ferrari, but I'm not sure it's substantially less than a bright orange Mac.

That said, a black/dark grey Mac may slip under the radar a bit more often...

Z

·
0 Posts
Too bad though, I'd rather see the coffers of Woking filled than another showboat trumpeting around.
Why is it that the Ferrari does the showboating? Because it is more striking to look at compared to the Mac? The Ferrari looks great and the only showboating it's got going for it is the glass engine cover. If I'm not mistaken the Mac has this feature as well. AND the look-at-me doors. So I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe you mean that all the owners have bought 458's for all the wrong reasons, and this guy is going to do this too?.... :rolleyes:

Ferrari built the 458 for driving slow, to be noticed even when crawling at city traffic. Especially when one needs to rev it to 4000rpm in order to have any noticeable torque output.
"Ferrari made the 458 for going slow".. You're basing this on looks and engine carachteristics? If true, almost every good looking, high revving N/A sportscar in history has been built to go slow.. Every ///M car, Carrera GT, Zonda and pretty much all the V8 Ferrari's etcetc.

I'd say they built it to go fast. All the above cars has to be revved high to get maximum performance, and none of them were built to go slow.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts