McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Ok. Ok. Finally today my volcano yellow spider arrived .... 1 year wait ..... And then a longish day with just a 30 minute drive home before things needed being done elsewhere .... No chance to tinker, nose or fiddle

So I thought perhaps good to ask here for any comments on the following which I forgot or didn't ask my dealer !

* gear change : when paddle shifting up ( or down ) do you / or should you momentarily take your foot of the accelerator as you pull the paddle .... Aka lambo style or is it like 458 just pull it with foot down?

* memory seats - comfort exit : I've only exited twice ..... Should the seats auto return to the position I adjusted them to before exiting ? Or I am guessing I can find this on the in car system and adjust?

Otherwise the short drive was great ..... It really is quite lotus'ish in feel which is great and far better for speed

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Keep your foot down! :)

You might want to put the car into neutral when at a long light.

You need to pull on the left system stalk when the screen prompts you for returning the seat, otherwise it will stay back. There might be a setting to make it work without the stalk, but I'm not sure off hand.

CONGRATS on the new machine Noe!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
First of all - CONGRATULATIONS!!

2nd - Its a Dual Clutch Transmission. So you don't need to take your foot off the pedal to shift. The 2nd clutch is already in place and ready to assist with the upshift or downshift. It will make sure the shift is smooth.

Memory seats - sorry I don't know that one.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Congrats, one of my favorite colors for the 12C. The memory return is a little finicky, if you are patient, after closing the door, the "pull stalk" message will pop up. If you are impatient still, then just program in you preferred seating position into one of the memory locations, and use that to return your seat to your setting.

No need as mentioned above with a dual clutch to lift off the gas between shifts. The 12C's gearbox is extremely smooth, ever smoother than the 458 Italia in less than full throttle situations. Now you need to learn how to Pre-Cog the newer lighter action paddles. ;)

·
Registered
914 Posts
congrats! pics!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great. thanks for the replies and at 5:30am seat was dealt with and after that the paddles got used properly! no nonsense dumass Lambo shenanigans

I've found though when entering the car and closing the door and before 'engine' starting there is a really annoying continuous beep ..... it goes off once the whole engine starting process is complete but early in the morning it wasn't great

@MarkJayW - when i test drove the coupe back in .... well sometime back as i forget so its years .... i remember the paddle shifters were way stiff ..... i got out of a 'small finger paddle shifting' lambo to take the test drive ...... way different at that time ..... I guess the system has been smoothed off/up, however you want to put it, to make it softer tugging the paddle now. Which is fine ...... pre-cog'in i need to figure or if it exists. This morning i found there was little time to 'slightly' tug the paddle as i just rocked along as fast as possible shifting up near 8k i think .... will figure that as i was busy watching for no animals darting from the forest!

* Stop junctions : i found, am finding, the gear when pulling up to a stop or extremely slow rolling stop doesn't drop automatically from 2 to 1 ... when stopping / stopped. I found myself a few times pulling away in 2nd ........ Yes a learning process and 2nd day and real first drive

Have already thrown the gremlins into the party with Lambo friends by saying that the only comparison i can give is - the Gallardo spider is just chunky in feel vs the macca and the Aventador is literally just 'chunky' vs the macca ...... 458 is, well, just older feeling

* and for that last top gear , season 20 episode 4 i think, of the budget cars Audi R8, 458 Spider and the Mac 12c ......... they choose the 458 spider ...... i say they win the 2013 crown for twats ...... brand-brain-washed

Photos i guess next

* spelling errors and grammatical gremlins provision

·
Registered
631 Posts
Keep your foot down! :)

You might want to put the car into neutral when at a long light.

You need to pull on the left system stalk when the screen prompts you for returning the seat, otherwise it will stay back. There might be a setting to make it work without the stalk, but I'm not sure off hand.

CONGRATS on the new machine Noe!
You actually need to turn this "comfort feature" on in the dashboard settings. It's not normally on by default but yes, you do have to pull on the lower left stalk to bring it back. It automatically moves back when you open the door though.

Congrats on your newest car! Thanks for posting pictures! I love volcano yellow! Did you have all those stripes and letterings put on after you got your car or did MSO do all those for you? Looks pretty good!

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Ok i think this is the pictures
That's the Okamoto Museum location, correct? Have not seen photos from there in quite a while.

Brilliant choice on the car and color. Japan has plenty of wonderful circuits - I hope you have great fun with it! :cool:

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wow! Cool graphics. The car looks great and certainly personalized. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ Erik - close, similar looking, the Taro (okamoto) museum is closer to Tokyo in Kawasaki - sculpture space by Taro ..... this is further out. By Fuji speedway in Gotemba its an event space .... on a clear day Mount Fuji is in the background ..... Tom's racing is here as part of the facility so its all geared to race and performance cars ............. our country house is only 20 minutes drive from Fuji Speedway and i am there most weeks driving

having just taken the car out to drop someone at a rail station near here i found myself using cruise control setting - it really is an all rounder car - quite shocking

if the weather can be kinder i would like to drive some mountain roads but with rain and week-end traffic it is just a wrong combination!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ none1. .... Aesthetics .... Its about design look. From the comment perhaps lack of knowing. Qr or NFC really don't look nice. ..... And all Serve no purpose anyway so it's neither here nor there .... Carry on!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts