McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch the inaugural Formula E race? If you didn't, you did not miss anything except a little road rage accident on the final turn. The cars looked like they were going 35 mph, the sound was very odd and uninspiring. The track seemed very slow and overall I thought it was immensely boring.

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Did anyone watch the inaugural Formula E race? If you didn't, you did not miss anything except a little road rage accident on the final turn. The cars looked like they were going 35 mph, the sound was very odd and uninspiring. The track seemed very slow and overall I thought it was immensely boring.
I wasn't expecting it to be very exciting but I honestly enjoyed it! Lots of overtaking and some drivers put on a great show. Really wanted Heidfeld to win this race, but oh well... It would have been his first victory in a single seater since 1999! The cars sounded a bit annoying, but they sounded surprisingly alright when on-board and it was weird to hear the cars changing gears.

The sports has lots of room for improvement, and the cars should get faster every year, it's very promising in my opinion.

Oh, and the i8 SC looked great! :D

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
the interesting thing for sure is to see how the cars develop... changing cars at pit stop is kinda funny for now...

can't help feeling that the sound was just like my scalextric set mind.. something we'll have to get used to...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
the interesting thing for sure is to see how the cars develop... changing cars at pit stop is kinda funny for now...

can't help feeling that the sound was just like my scalextric set mind.. something we'll have to get used to...
Ric,will be excited,take him back to his youth :D

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Porsche unveils first Formula E car
Daniel Herrero
By DANIEL HERRERO
THURSDAY 29TH AUGUST, 2019 - 12:41PM
SHARE:

The Porsche 99X Electric
Porsche has taken the covers off the car with which it will debut in Formula E this coming season.
Named the ‘99X Electric’, the car will carry Porsche’s traditional motorsport colours of white, red, and black, and features the same powertrain as in the German marque’s Taycan sportscar.
“In hindsight, we laid the foundations for Porsche’s future involvement in Formula E during the LMP1 project,” said Malte Huneke, its Technical Project Leader for Formula E.
“We used the insights gained during that time in the development of the Porsche Formula E powertrain. We focused on building a highly effective powertrain with the highest level of efficiency.
“In recent months, we have been able to sound out the reliability of the Porsche Formula E powertrain on the racetrack and on the test bench.
“We are very pleased and are optimistic going into the final preparations for the first race.”
Regarding the ’99X’ moniker, a Porsche release states that: “The highest number, nine, was used twice, to re-emphasise the importance of the Formula E project for Porsche, while the X stands for the forward-looking approach and prototype racing.”
Andre Lotterer and Neel Jani will race for Porsche in its first season in Formula E.
Official pre-season testing takes place at Valencia in October before a double-header to open the 2019/20 season in Riyadh on November 22-23.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Mercedes unveils Formula E car and drivers
Mat Coch
By MAT COCH
THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 - 9:38AM
SHARE:

Mercedes has unveiled its 2019/20 Formula E racer
The Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team has broken cover ahead of its inaugural season in the all-electric formula later this year.
As part of the launch at the International Motor Show in Frankfurt, the team pulled the covers back on its car, the Silver Arrow 01, and confirmed Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries as drivers.
“In Stoffel and Nyck, we have recruited two formidable and adaptable drivers who can continue to learn and grow with us in our debut season in Formula E,” said team principal Ian James.
“At Mercedes-Benz, we can look back on 125 years in motor racing.
“However, we know that Formula E is very different from any other series we have ever competed in.
“We are doing everything we can to achieve success, but we know that we have a steep learning curve ahead of us.”
Vandoorne joined the Formula E grid last season after being dumped out of Formula 1 by McLaren in favour of Lando Norris for 2019.
Racing for HWA Racelab he picked up a best result of third in Rome, while Formula 2 championship leader de Vries is poised to make his Formula E debut.
“It’s a very special feeling to be asked to drive for Mercedes-Benz EQ in Formula E, and I am honoured that the team have chosen me as one of their two drivers,” said de Vries.
“Formula E is a great platform that has already established itself as one of the biggest and most professional racing series outside Formula 1.
“Mercedes are aiming to be contenders for race wins and championship trophies,” he added.
“Hopefully, this will happen sooner rather than later. But until then, the team and I expect a steep learning curve before we can become truly competitive.”
Mercedes will join Porsche on the grid as new entries in the forthcoming campaign,
The 2019/20 Formula E season begins in Saudi Arabia on November 22-23.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
eMcL
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing