McLaren Life banner
741 - 760 of 795 Posts

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 · (Edited)
Honestly, it was like Ferrari were trying to lose. They had the fastest car, all they had to do was execute a conservative strategy to win.
Maybe Ferrari were too conservative - starting on Mediums, as you know, the rules require another tire type be used during the race, Ferrari chose Hards a bit to soon (conservative?) …., should have left Leclerc on Medium longer and then put on Softs … Keeps the season interesting.
Binotto thought that the cold weather affected the tire temperature window.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Maybe Ferrari were too conservative - starting on Mediums, as you know, the rules require another tire type be used during the race, Ferrari chose Hards a bit to soon (conservative?) …., should have left Leclerc on Medium longer and then put on Softs … Keeps the season interesting.
Binotto thought that the cold weather affected the tire temperature window.
Plenty of other cars started on mediums! Didn't Lewis start on them?

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Plenty of other cars started on mediums! Didn't Lewis start on them?
Yes. Russell started on Softs. Hamilton said ”I would say probably going longer in that second stint, giving me the option to then go to the softer tire at the end” “probably the race was lost with that first stint on the medium tire”

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #750 ·
Asked by Sky Sports F1 if Mercedes had been left scratching their heads when Ferrari put Leclerc onto the hard tyres, Wolff replied: “I think they had no option. They had only hard and soft left and for the soft it was too early. So only the hard.”

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Meanwhile with regard to McLaren, Hungary was a typical race for the team: Lando was brilliant in qualifying to start 4th. Unlike in past years when Hungary was one of the very worst tracks for overtaking, under the new formula overtaking at Hungary is at least as feasible as it is at the average F1 circuit, Lando finished 7th - in other words, the best of the 14 drivers who do not drive for one of the three richest teams.
Daniel, unfortunately, had a typical day for himself - started 9th, finished 15th, more than 50 seconds behind Lando. :rolleyes:

·
Owner
1,127 Posts
I had a dream last night.
F1 cars were following each other very closely making dive bomb passing attempts; some worked while others did not but it looked a lot like this thing I remember as racing.
Cars were passing other cars at the Hungaroring.
Mercedes was competitive.

I'm sure it was a dream until reality set in - in the form of Ferrari throwing away a win. They can obviously get a competitive car to the grid with one or more very talented drivers. They can kinda keep it running through out a race distance. All they need is a strategist that has been around F1. I'm thinking a twenty year couch veteran could do better.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #755 ·
I had a dream last night.
F1 cars were following each other very closely making dive bomb passing attempts; some worked while others did not but it looked a lot like this thing I remember as racing.
Cars were passing other cars at the Hungaroring.
Mercedes was competitive.

I'm sure it was a dream until reality set in - in the form of Ferrari throwing away a win. They can obviously get a competitive car to the grid with one or more very talented drivers. They can kinda keep it running through out a race distance. All they need is a strategist that has been around F1. I'm thinking a twenty year couch veteran could do better.
Yes. Think time for Binotto to go back to engineering and Ferrari to appoint a new Team Leader….

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #756 ·
Fernando Alonso signs to Aston Martin for 2023 on multi-year contract
Aston Martin have moved swiftly to announce a replacement for Sebastian Vettel, swapping one world champion for another with Fernando Alonso agreeing to join the team in 2023 on a multi-year deal.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Fernando Alonso signs to Aston Martin for 2023 on multi-year contract
Aston Martin have moved swiftly to announce a replacement for Sebastian Vettel, swapping one world champion for another with Fernando Alonso agreeing to join the team in 2023 on a multi-year deal.
Sounds like a step backwards for him.

741 - 760 of 795 Posts