McLaren Life banner
561 - 580 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I smell racing...... and, as usual, most of it is happening off the track.
MB did not get it right. It is as simple as that. The question is, will the FIA provide any relief under the guise of driver safety; basically telling teams they can not "do that" to their drivers and changing the rules that help the teams that screwed up catch up either by slowing the other guys or removing the driver for the problem only some teams are having.

As for F having a problem with the process, I have no clue. The FIA and it's rule governing process is a mystery to me but then I do not have to navigate the process for a competitive advantage (thank goodness).

sorry for that long run on sentence
I am not so sure given that Mercedes' attempt at using a second stay was not used for qualifying or racing.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
Binotto "A TD is there to clarify regulations, or to address policing. It is not there to change the regulations. That’s [a matter of] governance."

"Even on safety grounds, what can the FIA do? It's to first have a consultation with the TAC [technical advisory committee], change the regulations and go straight to the world council for a formal approval of the change the regulations without having the approval of the teams on safety grounds.
"But you do not change the regulations with a TD. So that's why we sent that to FIA, for us these TDs were not applicable.
"As a matter of fact, I think that they have been issued by mistake, I think first the metric has not been applied. The extra brackets have been not fitted in any car for the weekend. So a big noise for nothing."
According to Motorsport.com, Formula 1's technical chiefs are set to meet behind closed doors this week with Nikolas Tombazis, the FIA's single seater technical director, to find a common ground on which to solve the porpoising controversy.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Binotto "A TD is there to clarify regulations, or to address policing. It is not there to change the regulations. That’s [a matter of] governance."

"Even on safety grounds, what can the FIA do? It's to first have a consultation with the TAC [technical advisory committee], change the regulations and go straight to the world council for a formal approval of the change the regulations without having the approval of the teams on safety grounds.
"But you do not change the regulations with a TD. So that's why we sent that to FIA, for us these TDs were not applicable.
"As a matter of fact, I think that they have been issued by mistake, I think first the metric has not been applied. The extra brackets have been not fitted in any car for the weekend. So a big noise for nothing."
According to Motorsport.com, Formula 1's technical chiefs are set to meet behind closed doors this week with Nikolas Tombazis, the FIA's single seater technical director, to find a common ground on which to solve the porpoising controversy.
I believe that Binotto is just posturing on the basis of what he supposes (or at least pretends) would be best practice, and of course his motivation is what would be good for Ferrari, not for F1 or even necessarily for the drivers including his own. He may well be right about the ideal process, but on a safety issue the FIA does not need the unanimous consent of the teams (although of course it would prefer to have it).
Even on non-safety issues, such as the measurement of deflection under load of aerodynamic parts, the FIA has sometimes introduced new, stricter criteria with only one or two races' notice.
The FIA has a considerable degree of regulatory power. Whether it uses it correctly is, as we have seen, another matter.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
Yes they all have form - Mercedes had a great run by getting MGU-H into the engine regulations after they had done significant research on heat energy recovery. Not surprising that the other teams are suspicious of Mercedes motives. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Yes they all have form - Mercedes had a great run by getting MGU-H into the engine regulations after they had done significant research on heat energy recovery. Not surprising that the other teams are suspicious of Mercedes motives. ;)
Merc's motives re porpoising? Yes, indeed. So long as Red Bull/AlphaTauri are allowed to run DRS flaps made of tissue paper, however, Christian Hornblower should keep his fat mouth shut.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
Verstappen is perfect but title rivals are a disaster - Nico Rosberg
Hakkinen identifies key concern for Verstappen and Red Bull

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
Charles Leclerc left the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in defiant mood after the 2022 Canadian Grand Prix and insisted that he can overhaul Max Verstappen to win this year’s Formula 1 World Championship.
The 24-year-old Ferrari driver is 49 points adrift of Red Bull’s world champion, who on Sunday reeled off his sixth win of the season, but still believes it is not an insurmountable deficit.

Leclerc finished fifth after a storming, if frustrating, race from the back of the grid having been handed a grid penalty for taking a new power unit.

The Monegasque said after the race in Montreal: “Reliability is a concern for everyone this season. But if we can fix that, we have the performance to come back and so, from Silverstone, we will be trying to gain points back.

“Forty-nine points? Two victories and it is done!” declared Leclerc.

Verstappen admitted after Sunday’s tense finish that he did not have the pace to beat Carlos Sainz, in the second Ferrari, without defending hard for the last 15 laps as the Spaniard did all he could to find a way to pass him and claim his maiden win.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Big mistake giving up on Honda …
Totally. Red Bull not only benefited from McLaren's development of the engine, they were then gifted it from Honda! I assume at some point they're going to start supplying other teams because it's arguably the best PU out there. They obviously still have some reliability issues, but the engine itself looks to be more reliable than the Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Big mistake giving up on Honda …
Maybe (and at the time I was disappointed by McLaren's decision), but Red Bull were able to use their crash-test dummies at Toro Rosso to get in effect several seasons of testing of the Honda PU in just one season of racing. As a truly independent and self-respecting team, McLaren did not have that option. We may never know how far the Honda PU would have progressed if it had been used in actual racing, rather than in more than 70 days of testing, in 2019.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
Maybe (and at the time I was disappointed by McLaren's decision), but Red Bull were able to use their crash-test dummies at Toro Rosso to get in effect several seasons of testing of the Honda PU in just one season of racing. As a truly independent and self-respecting team, McLaren did not have that option. We may never know how far the Honda PU would have progressed if it had been used in actual racing, rather than in more than 70 days of testing, in 2019.
It was the correct decision for McLaren, because they had no clue of how to work with Honda Japanese culture following Ron’s exit. The arrogance displayed by the McLaren tech people interacting with the Honda tech people on the video (NetFlix?) and Boullier confirms the dysfunctional relationship. Anyway old water under the bridge …

561 - 580 of 600 Posts