·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
REUTERS
JULY 16, 2021
Motor racing-Mercedes set Spa deadline to decide Hamilton's 2022 team mate
By Reuters Staff

SILVERSTONE, England (Reuters) - Formula One champions Mercedes are aiming to decide Lewis Hamilton’s 2022 team mate before the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa at the end of August, team boss Toto Wolff said on Friday.

The choice is effectively between continuing with Finnish incumbent Valtteri Bottas or promoting 23-year-old Mercedes-contracted British driver George Russell from struggling Williams.

Seven-times world champion Hamilton this month signed a new two-year contract that will keep him at Mercedes until the end of 2023.

Bottas has said he wants to sort out his future over the summer break and Wolff told reporters that Mercedes were aligned on the time scale.
“I think it’s important for Valtteri and George to know where they will be driving next year,” said the Austrian. “That’s going to happen. I expect some questions in Spa.”

Russell, the 2018 Formula Two champion who has yet to score a point for Williams, impressed hugely as a stand-in for his fellow-Briton in Bahrain last year.

He stood out again at Silverstone on Friday when he qualified a superb eighth for a new Saturday sprint race at the British Grand Prix.
“Everyone wants to go up against the best driver,” the Briton said earlier this month when asked about the possibility of measuring himself against Hamilton.

“Everyone believes in themselves, but for me, I’d love that challenge because the pressure would be off and I’d find myself in a win-win scenario.”

Bottas is fifth in the championship and has struggled to match Hamilton, the sport’s most successful driver who has won three races this year and is battling Red Bull’s Max Verstappen for the title.

Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Pritha Sarkar

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
What a weekend. I loved the new format, loads of fun. Max and Lewis on the first lap was truly epic. They could’ve come together 4 different times. Shame to see Max pay such a high price but being aggressive has its risks. I’m certain these two will trade paint a few more times this season.

Bottas letting Leclerc by so quick really could’ve cost Mercedes. Bottas is a solid number 2 but for how close this championship is they need to make sure Russell is in the car next year.

2022 really could be something to behold if more than a few teams nail the new car. Lando, Charles, Lewis and Max are all top drivers. It would be a treat to watch them all battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
What a weekend. I loved the new format, loads of fun. Max and Lewis on the first lap was truly epic. They could’ve come together 4 different times. Shame to see Max post such a high price but being aggressive has its risks. I’m certain these two will trade paint a few more times this season.

Bottas letting Leclerc by so quick really could’ve cost Mercedes. Bottas is a solid number 2 but for how close this championship is they need to make sure Russell is in the car next year.

2022 really could be something to behold if more than a few teams nail the new car. Lando, Charles, Lewis and Max are all top drivers. It would be a treat to watch them all battle.
Yes a bit concerning that Verstappen may have learned from Hamilton that performing a pit maneuver during the first lap is the way to go, a 10 second penalty added to a required pit stop for the tire change can likely be made up during the race …… that was a really expensive ‘trade of paint’ with the cost cap in place.…. :(

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
145 Posts
Thanks for the analysis link (y)

I really enjoyed the format and outcome, aside from Max’s frightening crash. Three solid days from DR, hopefully a sign of further comfort with the car.

And speaking of Ricciardo, how was he able to keep Sainz at bay?!? Seriously? Of course we didn’t get to see any of their fight during the last laps (AGAIN!!), not even as a “picture in picture” window :mad:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the analysis link (y)

I really enjoyed the format and outcome, aside from Max’s frightening crash. Three solid days from DR, hopefully a sign of further comfort with the car.

And speaking of Ricciardo, how was he able to keep Sainz at bay?!? Seriously? Of course we didn’t get to see any of their fight during the last laps (AGAIN!!), not even as a “picture in picture” window :mad:
1. it was so hot that each time Sainz got too close he actually slowed down because of the dirty air coming off DRs car

2. DR knew this and made sure his lines were perfect so that if CS wanted to be aggressive he had to get into that air

3. DR didn’t make a mistake for almost 30 consecutive laps and kept the advantage over a car with fresher tires and more pace. Masterful focus and driving. His best race of the year by far.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
2. DR knew this and made sure his lines were perfect so that if CS wanted to be aggressive he had to get into that air

3. DR didn’t make a mistake for almost 30 consecutive laps and kept the advantage over a car with fresher tires and more pace. Masterful focus and driving. His best race of the year by far.
Lando was 14s (+ around 4s extra for his pit stop) ahead of him, after 52 laps, so there are better lines :)

It's great to see DR doing better, but he's still no Lando ..

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yes a bit concerning that Verstappen may have learned from Hamilton that performing a pit maneuver during the first lap is the way to go
Max turned-in on Hamilton.
a 10 second penalty added to a required pit stop for the tire change can likely be made up during the race
I doubt that many thought that, given how Hamilton was unable to close the gap on his first stint.
that was a really expensive ‘trade of paint’ with the cost cap in place.…. :(
Agreed, although they could try eBay - I'd buy some of the used parts ;)

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Max turned-in on Hamilton.
………
Verstappen took the corner wide, there was room on the track for Hamilton to move over, Hamilton chose to not move over thus causing the contact. Therefore Hamilton was given the 10 second penalty …
There is no distinction made for a corner in the track rules. However my understanding is that there are some unpublished diagrams that are used by the stewards that cover relative positions to an apex - in this case the stewards decided against Hamilton.
Consequential damage of a rule infraction is not considered by the stewards.
Anyway congratulations to Hamilton on the win, more close aggressive racing to come :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
There was also plenty more room to Max's left, as well as to Lewis's right...... For me this was, as Otmar Szafnauer opined, a textbook racing incident, particularly since it was on lap 1. Both could have taken action to avoid contact. Looking closely at the footage, you can clearly see that the Mercedes is understeering, the wheels are pointed to the apex but the car isn't going in that direction.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Lando was 14s (+ around 4s extra for his pit stop) ahead of him, after 52 laps, so there are better lines :)

It's great to see DR doing better, but he's still no Lando ..
Not just the lines though. Something as simply Lando being more comfortable with the car and getting the power down .1 seconds quicker coming out of certain corners can really add up over the course of a race.

For the position DR found himself in, he ran beautifully. I thought Sainz was going to fly by around lap 42.

Question for Norris is can he stay ahead of Bottas/Perez for 3rd place. My bet is no, I think he finishes 5th in the driver standings. I'd like to be wrong though!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Yes a bit concerning that Verstappen may have learned from Hamilton that performing a pit maneuver during the first lap is the way to go, a 10 second penalty added to a required pit stop for the tire change can likely be made up during the race …… that was a really expensive ‘trade of paint’ with the cost cap in place.…. :(

I wouldn't assume that Max now thinks he can just barrel in on Hamilton at the next opportunity just because he thinks the penalty won't be severe. I can't think of a time a driver agreed with a penalty either. BUT I think one would be very naïve to think they know the outcome of an on-track tussle prior to entering the tussle. When cars come together on track it's impossible to know before who will come off worse.

It would be interesting to see a statistic analyzing how drivers fair in racing incidents where there is contact. I can remember a few where Hamilton came out worse off with Rosberg but my memory (possibly inaccurately) tells me he usually comes out the better of the two.

BTW, I think the accident was more Max's fault ;)

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I wouldn't assume that Max now thinks he can just barrel in on Hamilton at the next opportunity just because he thinks the penalty won't be severe. I can't think of a time a driver agreed with a penalty either. BUT I think one would be very naïve to think they know the outcome of an on-track tussle prior to entering the tussle. When cars come together on track it's impossible to know before who will come off worse.

It would be interesting to see a statistic analyzing how drivers fair in racing incidents where there is contact. I can remember a few where Hamilton came out worse off with Rosberg but my memory (possibly inaccurately) tells me he usually comes out the better of the two.

BTW, I think the accident was more Max's fault ;)
Yes your first paragraph is correct - Hamilton suffered wing damage that required the red flag stoppage to repair. So any deliberate attempt to take out a close competitor in a F1 car is a toss up on who comes out worse …

HaHa yes it doesn’t matter who is at fault in your assessment as long as Hamilton wins!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Yes your first paragraph is correct - Hamilton suffered wing damage that required the red flag stoppage to repair. So any deliberate attempt to take out a close competitor in a F1 car is a toss up on who comes out worse …

HaHa yes it doesn’t matter who is at fault in your assessment as long as Hamilton wins!
Haha, now if only I could somehow blame someone besides Hamilton for the blunder in Baku... Valtteri, yes, it had to be Valtteri's fault.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'd have been happy with Lewis, Lando, or George!
For me this was, as Otmar Szafnauer opined, a textbook racing incident, particularly since it was on lap 1. Both could have taken action to avoid contact.
Agreed. This is the price that may be paid for wheel-to-wheel racing. Having said that, it was a big crash, so needs to be avoided. As you said, both could have - Lewis by not going to for an optimistic overtake (always a risk on the first lap), and Max by not turning-in so abruptly, when he must have know that Lewis was there. I'm glad that Max is OK.

The 10s penalty seemed harsh to me - there's usually more benefit of the doubt on the first lap, with cold tyres, brakes, full fuel load, and unknow grip levels.

The season is looking very interesting, both for the close racing, and McLaren's performance.

161 - 180 of 238 Posts