McLaren Life banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
127 Posts
Right now, I’m seeing the races as Norris vs. Leclerc and Ricciardo vs. Sainz. So Portimao is a definite win, despite DR’s difficulties.

Could Norris actually compete for third in the drivers’ championship?!? Something to hope for...

What a race for Alpine!

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
Could Norris actually compete for third in the drivers’ championship?!? Something to hope for...
Wishful thinking indeed! Unless one of them loses his seat, there is no chance that either Bottas or Perez will finish behind Lando this year, let alone both of them.

If anything, the concern is whether Lando can finish as high as 5th. Leclerc in the Ferrari will be strong, and if yesterday is a guide then Alonso and Renault will be very competitive in the midfield as well.

Also bear in mind that, between the budget cap, the major changes in the formula for 2022, and the fact that this year's cars were largely carried over from last year's and further work on them would have diminishing returns, in-season development of the 2021 cars will be less than normal. For the rest of this year, McLaren will not be making any great leap forward relative to M-B and Red Bull.

I think finishing in 5th ahead of Leclerc, Sainz, Alonso - and Ricciardo - would be a great result for Lando.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
159 Posts
Norris and Russell driving for McLaren next season would be great.

Ricciardo can go to Ferrari to make way.

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
Norris and Russell driving for McLaren next season would be great.

Ricciardo can go to Ferrari to make way.
Ricciardo has a three-year contract.
It may be recalled that, when Ricciardo signed with McLaren, the three-year contract was called a sign of Ricciardo's faith in McLaren, rather than the reverse.

Ricciardo is in the middle of his career. He's 5 years younger than Hamilton and 10 years younger than Raikkonen. You don't lose your talent in a matter of months. We saw yesterday that he's got more than enough ability and motivation when he's comfortable with his car. That will continue to improve.

I'm no fan of Ricciardo's. That imbecilic custom of drinking champagne out of a dirty shoe is one of the most disgusting habits in sports. Nonetheless the guy is good at what he does. I would like to see Lando develop into something even better than Ricciardo at his best, but let's not write off Ricciardo after 2 1/2 bad weekends and half a very good one.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
159 Posts
I actually like DR - he could also be world champion in the right car. But I think Russel is better.

Russel vs. Verstappen could really liven up future F1 races.

I've only ever been to one F1 race in my life - I was with Williams at the Nürburgring. I stood at the line beyond which you needed fireproof clothing - I watched as the crew did the pitstops from there. It was an amazing day - I remember congratulating Nico on getting 4th. I also remember Vijay smoking constantly behind his pit.

Since then I've not really taken much interest in F1, but now owning a McLaren I try to catch the races when I can - it's nice to see McLaren doing well, I hope Williams can get back to their glory days sometime too.

Reactions: rw99

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I don't think there's much chance of Russell ending up in a McLaren, even if D.R. was on a 1 year deal. I think Russell is in the Merc next year and Bottas is cast aside.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
F1 Spanish GP PST

May 72:25 AMPractice 1ESPN2
May 75:55 AMPractice 2ESPNU
May 82:55 AMPractice 3ESPN2
May 85:55 AMQualifyingESPN2
May 94:30 AMPre GPESPN
May 95:55 AMRACEESPN

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
127 Posts
As I said, my hope for Norris is that he can compete for third in the drivers’ championship. Absolutely agree that it’s highly unlikely for him to achieve it, but it’d be great to have some relevant races for him deep in the season...

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
As I said, my hope for Norris is that he can compete for third in the drivers’ championship. Absolutely agree that it’s highly unlikely for him to achieve it, but it’d be great to have some relevant races for him deep in the season...
Yes - also will be happy if McLaren keeps 3rd in 2021 Manufacturers Championship .... :)

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
By Courtesy of Pirelli
May 4 2021

Pirelli Spanish Grand Prix Preview
Pirelli GP Preview
WHY WE’VE CHOSEN THE TYRES
Just as was the case last year, when the Spanish Grand Prix was held for the first time in mid-August, the hardest tyres in the range return to the Circuit Barcelona-Catalunya: C1 as the P Zero White hard, C2 as the P Zero Yellow medium, and C3 as the P Zero Red soft – the same nomination as was made in Portugal last weekend.
Although the weather conditions are likely to be considerably cooler in Spain than last year, the high-energy demands of the track remain: especially the very long Turn 3 right-hander, which puts considerable forces through the front-left tyre in particular. Not only that, but Turn 9 is also challenging for the tyres. As a result, the hardest compounds are still the most appropriate choice.
For the first time since 2014, there has been no pre-season testing at Barcelona, so the teams come to this circuit with their new cars for the very first time, not having had a chance to gather data on how the cars perform there in their latest specification.​
Pirelli GP Preview
TRACK CHARACTERISTICS
  • The track layout has changed this year, with a modified profile to Turn 10 (La Caixa) to improve safety. The result is a left-hander that is slightly wider than the previous version, which has allowed for a bigger run-off area and will shorten the braking zone, with a higher entry speed to the corner. The lap is also now 20 metres longer.
  • The well-known demands of the Barcelona track make a one-stopper very challenging: although the likelihood of cooler weather should help this year. In 2020, the race was won by Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton with a soft-medium-medium two-stopper, although Sergio Perez finished fifth after stopping only once from soft to medium, while Valtteri Bottas was on the podium using a three-stop strategy.
  • Barcelona is renowned for being a track where it’s quite difficult to overtake for most of the lap, although the long downhill straight can give a power and DRS advantage to help line up a passing move. All this makes qualifying position and race strategy particularly important to gain track position.
  • With a number of support races on the bill, the surface should evolve reasonably quickly with more rubber laid down, compared to some other grands prix this year where Formula 1 has been the only track action.
MARIO ISOLA - HEAD OF CAR RACING
“The race strategy in Barcelona was influenced primarily by the very high track temperatures last season. This year, with the race moving back to a spring date, temperatures will be cooler but should still be a key factor behind the strategy. The altered corner profile of Turn 10 provides another new challenge that could influence the way the drivers approach the lap. We’ve seen in the past that strategy has been one of the key differentiating factors at Barcelona and we would expect this to become the case once more this weekend.”

OTHER PIRELLI NEWS
  • As well as Formula 3, Barcelona also hosts the second round of FIA Formula Regional by Alpine: the stepping-stone to the F3 championship, which is also supplied by Pirelli.
  • Three teams will stay on after the Spanish Grand Prix to continue Pirelli’s 18-inch slick tyre development programme for 2022: Alpine, Alfa Romeo and Red Bull. Alpine will run on the first day only, with the other two teams running on both days. This is the fifth 2022 tyre test in total, and the fourth one for the slick tyres.
  • Pirelli recently revealed more details of the tyre allocations that will be in place for the three grands prix this year that will feature qualifying sprint races. The overall allocation of tyres goes down to 12 for the weekend (with one extra set of Intermediates if needed), but drivers will no longer be obliged to start the race on the tyres that they used to set their best Q2 times.
  • The opening Sprint Cup round of the GT World Challenge Europe takes place at Magny-Cours in France during the same weekend as the Spanish Grand Prix. This is the second round of the overall series, following the first Endurance round at Monza.
Pirelli GP Preview
Pirelli Tyre Choices

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
@rw99 Seidl with you :)
McLaren: Norris has 'a chance' to split title contenders

In the interview Seidl also said this:

"But, at the same time, you need to be realistic. If these guys (Bottas and Perez) get their act together each weekend, then we simply have to acknowledge or accept we are not there yet in terms of performance."

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
In the interview Seidl also said this:

"But, at the same time, you need to be realistic. If these guys (Bottas and Perez) get their act together each weekend, then we simply have to acknowledge or accept we are not there yet in terms of performance."
Party pooper :)
McLaren beating Ferrari I think would be a great result.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
PITPASS.COM
Red Bull Powertrains has confirmed further details of its senior leadership team, all five new recruits formerly with Mercedes.

Tasked with developing competitive power units for Red Bull and sister team AlphaTauri from 2022 onwards, and charged with the creation of a new power unit to be developed to F1 regulations currently scheduled for implementation in 2025, Red Bull Powertrains has embarked on a recruitment programme aimed at building an expert technical team capable of taking its power unit operation to race and championship-winning success.

Following the recent announcement of Ben Hodgkinson as Technical Director, Red BullPowertrains has further enhanced its technical capabilities through significant appointments in key areas that will see power unit development fully integrated with chassis design at the Red BullTechnology Campus in Milton Keynes.
The senior leadership appointments include:
PU Production Director - Steve Blewett, formerly Head of Manufacturing at Mercedes Benz HPE
Head of Powertrains Electronics and ERS - Omid Mostaghimi, formerly F1 Electronics Team Leader at Mercedes AMG HPP
Head of Mechanical Design ERS - Pip Clode, formerly Team Leader - F1 Power Unit Concept at Mercedes AMG HPP
Head of PU Design ICE - Anton Mayo, formerly engineer at Mercedes AMG HPP
Group Leader ICE Operations - Steve Brodie, formerly F1 trackside and final inspection manager at Mercedes AMG HPP
The company also welcomes a new Head of Mechanical Development, whose name will be announced in the coming weeks.
"Red Bull's mission to bring all aspects of its Formula One operations in-house through Red Bull Powertrains is an enormously exciting undertaking but also an extremely demanding one," said Christian Horner, "and we know that success will only be achieved by bringing in the best and brightest talent, by providing them with the right tools and by creating the right environment in which they can thrive.
"Today's key leadership team appointments demonstrate our strong commitment to those goals and we certainly benefit from our campus being located in the UK where we have access to a huge wealth of engineering talent.
"Working with our new Technical Director, Ben Hodgkinson, and alongside key personnel retained from Honda Racing Development, each of the senior personnel announced today bring a wealth of experience, expertise and innovativity to the Red Bull Powertrains programme and provide us with the strongest possible technical platform for the future."

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifying results

PosDriverTeamQ1Q2Q3
1Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:18.245s1:17.166s1:16.741s
2Max VerstappenRed Bull1:18.090s1:16.922s1:16.777s
3Valtteri BottasMercedes1:18.005s1:17.142s1:16.873s
4Charles LeclercFerrari1:18.041s1:17.717s1:17.510s
5Esteban OconAlpine1:18.281s1:17.743s1:17.580s
6Carlos SainzFerrari1:18.205s1:17.656s1:17.620s
7Daniel RicciardoMcLaren1:18.264s1:17.719s1:17.622s
8Sergio PérezRed Bull1:18.203s1:17.669s1:17.701s
9Lando NorrisMcLaren1:17.821s1:17.696s1:18.010s
10Fernando AlonsoAlpine1:18.281s1:17.966s1:18.147s
11Lance StrollAston Martin1:18.241s1:17.974s
12Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:18.190s1:17.982s
13Sebastian VettelAston Martin1:18.289s1:18.079s
14Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo1:18.549s1:18.356s
15George RussellWilliams1:18.445s1:19.154s
16Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri1:18.556s
17Kimi RäikkönenAlfa Romeo1:18.917s
18**** SchumacherHaas1:19.117s
19Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:19.219s
20Nikita MazepinHaas1:19.807s

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Lando Norris, McLaren, Circuit de Catalunya, 2021Norris: Q1 incident with Mazepin “cost me quali today”
2021 Spanish Grand Prix
Posted on
8th May 2021 Written by Dieter Rencken and Keith Collantine

Lando Norris says an incident with Nikita Mazepin in the first round of qualifying cost him a better position when he reached Q3.

ADVERT | BECOME A SUPPORTER & GO AD-FREE

The McLaren driver was delayed by the Haas pilot at the chicane during his first run in Q1. He had to make another attempt at a quick time to reach the second stage of qualifying, which meant he used another new set of soft tyres. That left him with just a single set to use in Q3, instead of two.

“I feel like it kind of cost me quali today,” Norris explained. “The car was good. I feel like I didn’t do a bad job. I just had one guy who held me up a lot, which meant I had to use my second set of tyres.
“When it’s split by thousandths and hundredths and tenths and stuff, you want have the opportunity to kind of improve and you can’t make any mistakes. When you have something like that and you only have one set of tyres to really push on, it definitely cost us today. So it’s a bit annoying because I feel like we could have been fifth, sixth or something but it didn’t happen.”
The stewards have summoned Norris and Mazepin over the incident.
Norris ran an old set of tyres for his first run in Q3, when he encountered gravel on the track.

“There was a little bit of gravel in turn 13,” he explained. “Someone said Perez spun there or something. So I think I was like the first guy to push through it and just unlucky because there’s some crap on the track and I lost a couple of tenths.

Having saved his sole set of new tyres for the final run in Q3, Norris said he and other drivers found the track conditions deteriorated compared to the beginning of the session.
“No one really seemed to improve on their second push lap,” he said. “I don’t know if it got a bit more windy or whatever. That was a hindsight thing, you would have put your new set on for run one in Q3 rather than run two.
“But you never know. We were just unlucky and the only reason for that is Q1 and having the traffic in the final corner.”

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I can understand why Haas would allow Mazepin to race for them but for the life of me, I can’t understand why the FIA or F1 can let such a talentless, silver-spooned and dangerous driver get on the grid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
127 Posts
Again, at race end we have an apparent contest for points (this time between Ricciardo and Sainz), visible only as gap timing between the racers. Instead of watching actual competition, we have to stare at the uncontested final corners and finish line for each of the podium winners. With lengthy meaningless commentary.

I’m quite impressed by the camerawork, commentary, and production for F1 qualifying and racing, but I want to see any hard racing that’s happening on the final laps. I know well what it looks like when Mercedes and Red Bull cars cruise solo past the finish, and don’t need to watch the extended version every time 😑

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
@rw99 @Exhilr8n!
You might try F1TV app. It allows camera views from specific cars.
I had an early version but soon tired of searching data on an iPad screen.
This new version allows for full screen casting.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts