McLaren Life banner
561 - 580 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Yes but Daniel's lap was after Lando's and was when the track was faster than it had been for Lando.
There is a possibility that Alonso will be penalised for not slowing under double yellows in Q1. If he is, that would move Lando up another place relative to LEC.
Also talk that they may use this 'opportunity' to give Daniel a fresh PU.
Think Daniel let Lando pass for a clean run …. And the pit did not instruct Daniel about the improving track condition and have Daniel recharge battery for the final qual 1 lap ….

Not sure but think that is what happened :(

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
GPFans
Ewan Gale 9 October 2021

McLaren driver Daniel Ricciardo could take a fresh power unit after a disappointing qualifying at the Turkish Grand Prix.

Ricciardo currently starts 15th at Istanbul Park, moving up one place after qualifying 16th due to Carlos Sainz's back-of-the-grid penalty for a PU change of his own.
After failing to reach the highs of recent weeks in Italy and Russia, Seidl has said he and the team will look into a potential change.
“That is something we will have to review now overnight together with our colleagues from Mercedes and see if we want to change our plans for tomorrow," he explained.
“So far this weekend we didn’t plan to do any changes.”
Whilst Mercedes and customer team Aston Martin have suffered from reliability issues this year, McLaren has so far avoided such problems.
“So far, really from the first outing onwards actually, we have had a good run so let’s keep it like that," added Seidl.
Ricciardo refuses to "point fingers" at McLaren
Ricciardo, meanwhile, has refused to blame his McLaren team for his surprise Q1 exit which appeared to be as a result of being sent out on track at the wrong time.
"There was maybe a bit of timing but I think we honestly just struggled on the softs as the track got better," assessed Ricciardo, speaking to Sky Sports F1.
"It was still damp in some places and I think everyone was improving but we couldn't really get that much more out of the softs.
"We made some changes in the pit stop when putting on the second tyre to try and help get me a bit more grip. We made quite a big step but we couldn't really change the feeling.
"We have just got to understand a bit with our tyres. It was trickier today but that is about it.
"As always when the track is improving, there is a bit of timing. I think maybe I crossed the line P8 and by the end, I was P16.
"Being last always helps but there were yellow flags and stuff in turn one so you get out of sync. I wouldn't point the finger, just ultimately not quite there on the softs."

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Think Daniel let Lando pass for a clean run …. And the pit did not instruct Daniel about the improving track condition and have Daniel recharge battery for the final qual 1 lap ….

Not sure but think that is what happened :(
Yes, Daniel let Lando past, but Daniel was not on a hot lap.
Agreed that the pit wall could have told Dan that other drivers' times were improving, but when it is no longer raining the driver himself should have a clear sense of whether the track is getting quicker - and when the rain has stopped and the surface is drying it will always get quicker as more cars drive across it.
I think the reality - which should be no surprise to anyone except maybe to Daniel's blind followers - is that he remains the better part of a second slower than Lando, and when the car is not fast enough for Lando to get into the top 5, that probably means that Daniel won't make Q3. I am exaggerating the differential a bit, but it is unfortunately in that direction.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Turkey GP
POSNODRIVERCARLAPSTIME/RETIREDPTS
177Valtteri BottasMERCEDES581:31:04.10326
233Max VerstappenRED BULL RACING HONDA58+14.584s18
311Sergio PerezRED BULL RACING HONDA58+33.471s15
416Charles LeclercFERRARI58+37.814s12
544Lewis HamiltonMERCEDES58+41.812s10
610Pierre GaslyALPHATAURI HONDA58+44.292s8
74Lando NorrisMCLAREN MERCEDES58+47.213s6
855Carlos SainzFERRARI58+51.526s4
918Lance StrollASTON MARTIN MERCEDES58+82.018s2
1031Esteban OconALPINE RENAULT57+1 lap1
1199AntonioGiovinazziALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI57+1 lap0
127Kimi RäikkönenALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI57+1 lap0
133Daniel RicciardoMCLAREN MERCEDES57+1 lap0
1422Yuki TsunodaALPHATAURI HONDA57+1 lap0
1563George RussellWILLIAMS MERCEDES57+1 lap0
1614Fernando AlonsoALPINE RENAULT57+1 lap0
176Nicholas LatifiWILLIAMS MERCEDES57+1 lap0
185Sebastian VettelASTON MARTIN MERCEDES57+1 lap0
1947MickSchumacherHAAS FERRARI56+2 laps0
209Nikita MazepinHAAS FERRARI56+2 laps0

2021 Driver Standings

2021 Constructor Standings

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
View attachment 215513
View attachment 215514
The ironic thing is that to an F1 team these things are just scrap. To a racing fan, however, it could be worth it to buy something like this in order to see up close how beautifully made it is and how little it weighs.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
The 2022 FIA Formula 1 World Championship is as follows:

DateGrand PrixVenue
20 MarchBahrainSakhir
27 MarchSaudi ArabiaJeddah
10 AprilAustraliaMelbourne
24 AprilEmilia RomagnaImola*
8 MayMiamiMiami**
22 MaySpainBarcelona*
29 MayMonacoMonaco
12 JuneAzerbaijanBaku
19 JuneCanadaMontreal
3 JulyUnited KingdomSilverstone
10 JulyAustriaSpielberg
24 JulyFranceLe Castellet
31 JulyHungaryBudapest
28 AugustBelgiumSpa
4 SeptemberNetherlandsZandvoort
11 SeptemberItalyMonza
25 SeptemberRussiaSochi
2 OctoberSingaporeSingapore*
9 OctoberJapanSuzuka
23 OctoberUSAAustin*
30 OctoberMexicoMexico City
13 NovemberBrazilSao Paulo
20 NovemberAbu DhabiAbu Dhabi

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 · (Edited)
F1 USA GP PST

Oct 229:25 AMPractice 1ESPN2
Oct 2212:55 PMPractice 2ESPN2
Oct 2310:55 AMPractice 3ESPNews
Oct 231:55 PMQualifyingESPNews
Oct 2410:30 AMRACEABC/ESPN3

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
Too late for Mercedes to solve engine problems: 'No point making new parts'
18-10-2021

by GPblog.com
The title fight between Red Bull Racing and Mercedes AMG F1 is still wide open. Mercedes are questioning if engine reliability issues will cause further problem for them. According to Toto Wolff it's too late to do anything about it.
Unsolvable problems for Mercedes
The problems for Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas have not been solved and team boss Wolff does not rule out the possibility that a lot of swaps will have to be made in the final quarter of this F1 season. It is no longer profitable to fix the reliability problems.
AMuS quotes the Austrian: "At the moment we can only try to keep the problems as little as possible and get rid of them as well as possible. There's no point in starting to make any more new parts."
Fifth engine for Hamilton not ruled out
Wolff doesn't seem to know what exactly is going on with the engines. The first engine of the seven-time world champion and rival of Max Verstappen lasted six races and a few more practice sessions on Fridays. That seems to be completely impossible with the current engine.

Hamilton's third power unit, which was introduced at the Belgian GP, is unlikely to be used in races anymore, according to Wolff. That means that the fourth engine Hamilton has already taken the ICE from in Turkey will have to endure six more races.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
634 Posts
The 1950s are calling, they want their attitudes back. Ragging on people for their appearance or what they wear is what's out of style.
Regardless of this open attitude that plenty of folks claim to have, I still feel responsible to those around me to not appear too disheartedly wrong in my choices. That clown suit of Lewis’ was indeed hunorous, but is it fair to force others to see such a mess?

Reactions: New Britain

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
The 1950s are calling, they want their attitudes back. Ragging on people for their appearance or what they wear is what's out of style.
I failed to notice your comment when it was posted. I guess my 1950s-ish lack of focus on social media failed me again.

'Ragging on people' - in other words, commenting on a highly public figure making a blatantly public statement is now out of bounds? Or are you saying that's it's fine to compliment a public person's public gestures, but unacceptable to criticise them?

The whole point of the movement towards greater tolerance is that as individuals or as societies we should tolerate, indeed respect, all people equally as regards those things about themselves that they cannot and should not be expected to change. That is a totally different thing from when a rich, famous, and exceptionally popular 'influencer' goes out of his way to show off an example of egregiously bad taste.

Upon further investigation, I see that the ludicrous costume in question was designed not by Lewis but rather by Burberry. In that case, perhaps we should feel sorry for Lewis that he was duped into wearing an outfit that made him look like a complete ass, and instead focus criticism on the swine at Burberry and in the fashion industry in general, whose main contributions to society have been inducing the general public into wasting billions of dollars on crap whilst simultaneously causing untold millions of young women and men to suffer body dysmorphia, eating disorders, and sometimes even death. Lewis is naive, whereas the fashion industry are utter scum.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
OCTOBER 21, 2021

GRANDPRIX
Miami F1 race will be moved downtown says mayor

A store with close ties to Fernando Alonso has opened up in Miami - the home of Formula 1's newest grand prix in the United States next year.

Prior to the US GP this weekend in Texas, the two-time champion stopped by in Miami for the launch of a SimplyEV store - the eco-conscious brand that has acquired 70 percent of Alonso's sports fashion brand Kimoa.

Alonso, 40, retains a 25 percent stake in Kimoa.

"I think Miami is going to be a race that is very welcomed by all the people of Formula 1," the Spaniard told EFE news agency.

He was accompanied by Miami mayor Francis Surarez, who admitted he was "frustrated" that the F1 race will take place in Miami Gardens rather than central Miami.

"Eventually we are going to have the race in the city," the mayor declared.

"In the future, it will be like Monaco, with the race happening downtown. So everything starts now in one place and will end in the ideal place," he added.

Alonso, also acknowledging the rumours about Indianapolis and Las Vegas, admits that conquering the United States is "probably the greatest objective of Formula 1

·
Registered
910 Posts
I failed to notice your comment when it was posted. I guess my 1950s-ish lack of focus on social media failed me again.

'Ragging on people' - in other words, commenting on a highly public figure making a blatantly public statement is now out of bounds? Or are you saying that's it's fine to compliment a public person's public gestures, but unacceptable to criticise them?

The whole point of the movement towards greater tolerance is that as individuals or as societies we should tolerate, indeed respect, all people equally as regards those things about themselves that they cannot and should not be expected to change. That is a totally different thing from when a rich, famous, and exceptionally popular 'influencer' goes out of his way to show off an example of egregiously bad taste.

Upon further investigation, I see that the ludicrous costume in question was designed not by Lewis but rather by Burberry. In that case, perhaps we should feel sorry for Lewis that he was duped into wearing an outfit that made him look like a complete ass, and instead focus criticism on the swine at Burberry and in the fashion industry in general, whose main contributions to society have been inducing the general public into wasting billions of dollars on crap whilst simultaneously causing untold millions of young women and men to suffer body dysmorphia, eating disorders, and sometimes even death. Lewis is naive, whereas the fashion industry are utter scum.
Out of bounds? No, just out of date, now that the real intent behind such commentary is better understood than it was in the 1950s. It's also a little rich to be making such comments while also criticizing the fashion industry.

I'm curious what it is about the clothing that you find "ludicrous"? Maybe it would be more constructive to educate us as to what makes it ludicrous rather than just making blanket, subjective statements about it.

561 - 580 of 589 Posts