McLaren Life banner
381 - 400 of 590 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I do think it’s a euro sports tradition to celebrate the battle and ignore the war. Freaking out over being in 3rd place or losing their minds over a “great try” in soccer. It doesn’t resonate naturally with the American sports fan. Although participation trophies and the softness of the younger generations I’m sure will change that.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I do think it’s a euro sports tradition to celebrate the battle and ignore the war. Freaking out over being in 3rd place or losing their minds over a “great try” in soccer. It doesn’t resonate naturally with the American sports fan. Although participation trophies and the softness of the younger generations I’m sure will change that.
There may be marginal differences between US and European sports fans. If so, I think they are owing to structural differences rather than cultural differences between the two places.
In some sports in Europe the relegation system transforms how fans think about success. In the US, if your favourite team in any sport is not doing well this season, there is always next season when they will start afresh in the same league. The draft system in which the team with the worst record has the first overall pick helps to balance out the competition. In Europe, there can be absolutely massive implications if your team, for example, finishes 17th rather than 18th. At the same time, the clubs with bigger fan bases or wealthier owners have an inbuilt advantage (no salary caps), meaning that the same ones tend to finish at or near the top year after year, and the majority of teams have almost zero chance of winning the title: they may be in the top league, but for them the competition really is about doing as well as possible in the second tier of it.
The one 'universal' competition is the Olympics. With their population and wealth, the US and China presume they will always be at or near the top of the medals tables. As do the less wealthy commercial clubs, European nations have effectively no chance of coming out on top and it is more realistic to aim to beat comparable competitors rather than to beat the biggest ones.

In F1, with the financial pressure on many teams (especially prior to this season's cost cap), the difference of a few places in the final WCC could affect whether people keep their jobs. You may recall when there were 11 teams but only the top 10 would receive year-end money from the Commercial Rights Holder. In some years, less well-funded teams would pray that they would score one point in the season, because they knew that there would be another team that would score none, and the $30m difference in prize money could dictate whether the team would continue the following year.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Red Bull to hold Dallas F1 show run prior to US GP
by Fergal Walsh
Red Bull will host a show run in the Texas city of Dallas one week prior to the 2021 United States Grand Prix.

Sergio Perez will be present at the display, driving the RB7, the car which took Red Bull to the drivers’ and constructors’ titles in 2011.

The four-hour event will take place on October 16, in the Harwood District area of Dallas.

Red Bull has hosted show runs in the past, promoting its own brand and Formula 1.

As well as Perez, who recently signed with Red Bull for 2022, also present at the show run will be Aaron Colton, a moto stunt rider.

This year’s US Grand Prix will be the first since 2019, as the 2020 edition was called off due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The race, which is scheduled to be the 17th round of the season, will be held on October 24 at the Circuit of the Americas.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sure, but when I wrote, 'Is it really necessary?', I meant it rhetorically. Of course he wanted to do it - that is exactly the problem!
As good a drive as Ricciardo put in on Sunday, what he wrote on the car was stupid. It doesn't matter how talented someone is: if they're going to act like a jackass, they're a jackass.
I massively prefer this to the other media trained drivers saying the same things and never stepping out of line. Drivers used to be personalities, good and bad, I miss that.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I massively prefer this to the other media trained drivers saying the same things and never stepping out of line. Drivers used to be personalities, good and bad, I miss that.
You make a good point. It's just a shame that Ricciardo's vocabulary is so limited, or his brain is so immature, that he cannot find a better way of expressing himself. Daniel might be 11 years older than Lando, but he seems the less grown-up of the two.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I’m not sure if that bothers me. We’re too PC today. I say let it fly Daniel.
Being too PC today - which most influential people indeed are - would not justify going to the opposite extreme.
I don't know whether you have young children or grandchildren but, if you did and they were in say elementary school, I would be surprised if you were indifferent to their exposure to such gratuitous rubbish.
It would be one thing if there were no other way for Riccirado to express the sentiment, but he had many other options. I guess it goes along with his drinking out of a smelly old shoe - crude behaviour from someone who lacks the intelligence to know better.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Gotta love it. Live it up Danny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is classless. Someone should have stopped him from doing this. He would/should lose sponsorship deals for doing this. He is an entertainer/athlete that many people would look upto. He can't or wouldn't get away with this in USA. He would've been stopped or forced to apologize. Many companies would have disassociated themselves from him because he doesn't 'represent" their values...

He underperforms all year, has won many races in his career and all of a sudden celebrating like he won the drivers championship. Let's see when he comes down to earth in the next races and the rest of the year.

He should've acted like he belonged instead of it being a lifetime achievement.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
In other news, McLaren Racing COO Jonathan Neale will be leaving the company.
I never met the man, but I gather that not everyone at McLaren is sad to see him go. On another forum there was a post, since deleted but written supposedly by a current or former McLaren colleague, that was utterly scathing in its criticism of Neale. The word 'despicable' was used, among others. o_O

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
This is classless. Someone should have stopped him from doing this. He would/should lose sponsorship deals for doing this. He is an entertainer/athlete that many people would look upto. He can't or wouldn't get away with this in USA. He would've been stopped or forced to apologize. Many companies would have disassociated themselves from him because he doesn't 'represent" their values...

He underperforms all year, has won many races in his career and all of a sudden celebrating like he won the drivers championship. Let's see when he comes down to earth in the next races and the rest of the year.

He should've acted like he belonged instead of it being a lifetime achievement.
I didn't realize everyone was so puritanical or oblivious of how people Danny's age speak. Have you heard any music lately or watch anything on TV (Drive to Survive)? F#ck and all its derivatives have been a part of pop culture for decades. Don't check your kids' phones, you might get upset. He won and gets to make a fool of himself, if he wants. When you win the Italian GP, you can write 'praise be the Almighty' if you like.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I didn't realize everyone was so puritanical or oblivious of how people Danny's age speak. Have you heard any music lately or watch anything on TV (Drive to Survive)? F#ck and all its derivatives have been a part of pop culture for decades. Don't check your kids' phones, you might get upset. He won and gets to make a fool of himself, if he wants. When you win the Italian GP, you can write 'praise be the Almighty' if you like.
You might be surprised to learn that not every 8 year-old has his or her own cell phone!

Nobody cares whether he makes a fool of himself. It's not the first time, for him or numerous other sports and media personalities. That is not the point.
The point is that someone in his position is a role model, especially to younger people, and he should raise himself above the lowest common denominator of behaviour. He can say or do whatever he likes in private or amongst adults, but when McLaren and F1 more broadly are making an effort to attract a younger fan base, the last thing he needs to be doing is to write that on his car. It is simply crass.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
Hmmm never thought I would hear/read of trillion $ debts ….
Never thought I would hear/read ’a royal pain in the ass’ inflated to ‘m……’

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
156 Posts
Oh no, there goes Daniel, being “crass” and silly, showing his emotion and being himself.

Thank God. There will be plenty of monotone podium winning bluntness ahead of us from Max, or dull PC corporatespeak from the Mercedes robots. I actually lapse into a brief coma every time a microphone is offered to Bottas.

And as far as McLaren or F1 appealing to a younger fan base… writing on your car and doing a shoey is exactly what works!

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Oh no, there goes Daniel, being “crass” and silly, showing his emotion and being himself.

Thank God. There will be plenty of monotone podium winning bluntness ahead of us from Max, or dull PC corporatespeak from the Mercedes robots. I actually lapse into a brief coma every time a microphone is offered to Bottas.

And as far as McLaren or F1 appealing to a younger fan base… writing on your car and doing a shoey is exactly what works!
You are creating a false dichotomy between being as boring as a slice of white bread and acting like a meretricious asshole. There is quite a range of possibilities in between, you know!

As for what appeals to younger people, there is a reason why we call them children. Just because a child might be fascinated by age-inappropriate material does not mean that we should be happy for them to see or hear it.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Is it really necessary for Ricciardo to memorialise his success with that language for anyone to see?
It's on a par with drinking out of a smelly old shoe - just juvenile and crass.
I think it’s awesome to see some personality shining through. Norris has also really opened up over the last two years. It’s great to see.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Provisional 2022 F1 calendar
Round​
Grand Prix​
Date​
1​
Bahrain​
20 March​
2​