McLaren Life banner

Formula 1, 2020

44K views 425 replies 24 participants last post by  eMcL 
#1 · (Edited)
Sim lap of 2020 Zandvoort track

And Sim lap Hanoi

#3 ·
Rules of engagement: The new regulations which will shake up F1
For 2021, F1 chiefs have ripped up the rulebook and overhauled the current regs. We round up the changes and analyse their likely effects

#4 ·
F1i.com
Allison reveals decisive factor behind Mercedes development
© XPB

Phillip van Osten
23/12/2019

Mercedes technical director James Allison says the main contributing factor to the team's advances in terms of development in the past few years has been its understanding and knowledge of F1's tyres, a veritable "weapon" for the Silver Arrows outfit according to the British engineer.
Over the years, Pirelli's tyres, or rather their complex management, have heavily weighed drivers' results on race day or wreaked havoc on a team's ability to perform consistently.
From blistering to degradation to an inability to keep tyre temperatures in the optimal operating window (the latter issue particularly impacting Haas), getting on top of Pirelli's rubber has been a major challenge for engineers.
In the past, Mercedes hasn't been immune to tyre issues, but the Brackley engineers have progressively acquired a proficiency in tyre knowledge that Allison believes is now second to none in F1.

"We are lucky that we have excellent engineers in our team, in our driving dynamics group. They bring this understanding and knowledge with them.
"The biggest advance that this team has made in the past two or three years has been to develop the car to better deal with the tyres.
"We always had a fast car, but it works better with the tyres today than it used to. Therefore, they no longer see this yo-yo effect from exceptionally good to weak races. We had no real slumps this year.
"The other teams are also working on it, but as of today, I would give our team the greatest chance of getting our car's tyres into the operating window and staying there for the rest of the weekend. It has become a real weapon for us.

Allison admits that Pirelli's decision to reduce the tread of its tyres by 0.4mm for 2019 reduced the risk of blistering and degradation, but Mercedes still appeared to have an edge over its rivals in the tyre management department.
"The tyres are not that much different than last year," he said.
"We used these tyres with a thinner tread in three races in 2018. They don't blister so quickly, that's a fact.
"I don't know what the others have done or not. All I can say is that we are lucky enough to have many competent people on our team.
"It was important for us to understand the tyres, how the forces of the car act on them, so that aerodynamics and mechanics work well together."

#6 ·
So...anyone care to predict how McLaren will do in Formula One in 2020? Reduce the gap to the top three, or instead focus on 2021 design and hope to scrape fourth in WCC?
Any thoughts on whether any of the six teams that finished behind McLaren in 2019 will challenge for fourth next season? Will McLaren in any race be able to qualify within the top six on pure speed, or to finish on the podium without a fluke? Will Lando make a step up in his racecraft? Will Carlos make a step up in his qualifying? Will Renault pull the plug for 2021 and, in preparation, back off developing their PU during 2020?
For that matter, will Verstappen finally give Hamilton some competition in the WDC?

#8 ·
So...anyone care to predict how McLaren will do in Formula One in 2020? Reduce the gap to the top three, or instead focus on 2021 design and hope to scrape fourth in WCC?
Any thoughts on whether any of the six teams that finished behind McLaren in 2019 will challenge for fourth next season? Will McLaren in any race be able to qualify within the top six on pure speed, or to finish on the podium without a fluke? Will Lando make a step up in his racecraft? Will Carlos make a step up in his qualifying? Will Renault pull the plug for 2021 and, in preparation, back off developing their PU during 2020?
For that matter, will Verstappen finally give Hamilton some competition in the WDC?
i thnk they'll continue to close the gap... i think they have the right guys in the right places now and nice to see very experienced hands still very much involved.. i actually think the only team that might be more focused on 2021 is merc.. they're the only ones with some headroom..

i think with Pat Fry at Renault they will make a decent step also.. they really need to make some progress otehrwise i do fear the plug will be pulled once more..

yes i think mclaren will qualify in the top 6 on pure pace.. podium might be more difficult... but what's a fluke? was Brazil a fluke? that's just racing sometimes.. Lando will increase in confidence

and yes i think verstappen, hamilton, vettel and le clerc will have a good fight for the championship.. i don't think bottas will be allowed to unless hamilton has a terrible start or will Albon be quite ready to do so..

#15 ·
The longer wheel base gives Mercedes an advantage on the faster tracks. They lose out a bit on tracks like Monaco which are slower with many tight corners. I think Mercedes calculus is that as there are a few more faster tracks in a season than slow ones better to bias the chassis design for fast tracks.

#16 ·
Believe It’s more to do with a different aero philosophy ? Almost all other teams run a shorter wheel base higher rake concept. Merc are the onLT ones who run the longer wheel base with bigger floor. They’re the only ones who are world champions also. I don’t beleive the engine size affects the wheel base decision. James Allison I think explained their relatively longer wheel base. They also came up with ingenious suspension solutions to further improve things. As always our understanding of these issues is rudimentary I guess And the decisions are not so straight forward. It’s logical that most teams follow the higher rake concept conceived by Newey as he’s been the pre eminent designer

#18 ·
ESPN
Car launches, preseason and other key F1 dates for your 2020 calendar

Car launches
February 11 - Ferrari

February 14 - Alpha Tauri (formerly Toro Rosso)

Eight teams are yet to confirm their launch dates.

Preseason testing
February 19-21 - Test One

February 26-28 - Test Two

Both tests will be held at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya.

2020 race calendar
All race weekends follow the same format, with three practice sessions ahead of qualifying on Saturday. That session sets the 20-car grid for Sunday's grand prix. In every race bar Monaco, Friday hosts two practice sessions, with a third on Saturday before qualifying. In Monaco, the first two sessions are held on Thursday, with a rest day on Friday.

March 15 - Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

March 22 - Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir

April 5 - Vietnam Grand Prix - Hanoi

April 19 - Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

May 3 - Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort

May 10 - Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

May 24 - Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo

June 7 - Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku

June 14 - Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

June 28 - French Grand Prix - Le Castellet

July 5 - Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg

July 19 - British Grand Prix - Silverstone

August 2 - Hungarian Grand Prix - Budapest

August 30 - Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps

September 6 - Italian Grand Prix - Monza

September 20 - Singapore Grand Prix - Singapore

September 27 - Russian Grand Prix - Sochi

October 11 - Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

October 25 - U.S. Grand Prix - Austin

November 1 - Mexican Grand Prix - Mexico City

November 15 - Brazilian Grand Prix - Sao Paulo

November 30 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Island

#19 ·
F1 70
OPINION
Five bold predictions for the 2020 F1 season

Senior writer
Lawrence Barretto
15 hours ago
DXI14417_2019110374134720.jpg

The joys of a fridge full of cheese, Christmas dinner and the days of leftovers and hours spent on the sofa watching the Christmas movie channel is now, sadly, behind us for another year. But fret not. It’s time to get back to business and sharpen focus on what is set to be one of the tightest F1 seasons in the world championship’s illustrious history. And as it's the start of a new decade, with endless opportunities, I’m feeling brave and have decided to make a few bold predictions for the year ahead…
Ferrari will win the most races – and the constructors’ championship
F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Final Practice

No, I’m not still on the gin left over from New Year. I genuinely believe Ferrari are going to get their act together this year and deliver a car that will clinch more victories than anyone else.
The SF90 was an excellent – if erratic – machine and I believe Ferrari’s technical team will have learned from their mistakes and taken a step forward with their 2020 challenger.
LONG READ: Ferrari on what went wrong in 2019 – and what they’ve learned for 2020

Chief Mattia Binotto says they are overhauling both the engine and aerodynamics for this campaign, while CEO Louis Camilleri adds the company is “prepared to invest” more cash in the F1 programme – with a new simulator already in the works. They want a title. And they want it bad.
They are throwing everything at this latest title charge, and with Charles Leclerc certain to kick on from his sensational debut season with Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel finding some form (motivated by his contract expiring at the end of 2020), the Prancing Horse will have the legs to last the distance and bring home a first constructors’ championship since 2008.
Maranello, get the champagne and red streamers ready. Christmas is going to be party time.
F1 2020 will have a final race title decider
2019 Austrian GP

Ferrari’s improved competitiveness, applied more consistently, will give Mercedes – and reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton – a headache, as Hamilton searches for title number seven and the Silver Arrows hunt an unprecedented seventh successive double.
The Briton was in exquisite form in 2019, recovering from a slow start to end the year sizzling. He’ll find next year tougher, though, with Leclerc in a position to begin strongly – with one year now in the bank with Ferrari – and offer a consistent threat.
Throw in a sterner challenge from Red Bull’s Max Verstappen – who I reckon will go better than last year and win at least four races in 2020 – and we will have a three-horse race for the drivers’ championship, forcing a title decider at the finale in Abu Dhabi for the first time since 2016.
READ MORE: 10 things every F1 fan should be excited for in 2020
At least two new faces will grace F1's podium
2019 Chinese GP

Carlos Sainz and Pierre Gasly became the 210th and 211th members of the exclusive F1 podium finishers' club in 2019, with their podiums in the thrilling Brazilian Grand Prix. But they’ll need to make room for more members in 2020.
One of them should be Alexander Albon, who won 2019 Rookie Of The Year at the FIA Prize Giving ceremony after showing signs he has the speed and determination to mix it with the frontrunners. His Red Bull will be capable of ample podiums – and he will make the most of it.
LONG READ: Alex Albon – Seizing his second chance
Providing McLaren can build on their stellar 2019 campaign, Lando Norris is well-placed to collect his first piece of F1 silverware, the Briton showing flashes of brilliance in an impressive rookie year, while the returning Esteban Ocon is also a good bet to give Renault their first podium in nine years.
At least two of them will make it onto the rostrum at some point this season.
Haas will edge midfield battle
Formula One World Championship

Diabolical. That’s one way to describe the 2019 campaign for Haas. It was a year that offered so much promise, after what felt like a breakthrough year in 2018, but the VF-19 was slow and unpredictable. A dreadful combination.
But they have learned lessons and switched focus very early to 2020, when it became clear 2019 was a lost cause. Powered by the class-leading Ferrari engine and still set to receive a bunch of parts from the Italian team, as is compliant per the regulations, I expect them to start this year on the right foot.
The midfield will be tight once more, with McLaren and Renault sure to be at the sharp end of that fight. But the American team will force their way in, too, and edge a tense battle that’ll go down to the wire – and in the process, help drag the trio closer to F1's big three, Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.
Ferrari will sign Ricciardo for 2021
DXI17062_2019111535004339.jpg

I picked Daniel Ricciardo to Renault for 2019 and now I’m anticipating another move for the Australian, this time to the mighty Ferrari, taking over the reins from former Red Bull team mate Sebastian Vettel.
Ricciardo’s move to Renault did not turn out brilliantly last year, and with the 2021 driver market set to be the most dramatic in living memory, I expect the Honey Badger – whose current deal expires at the end of this campaign – to be one of the key cogs.
He is a proven race winner, consistently gets the most out of a car and is one of the best overtakers in the business. Ricciardo (who has Italian heritage) in red makes sense. He’s exactly the kind of driver they will want alongside Leclerc as they look to build a Schumacher-esque dynasty.
Expect the Honey Badger to put pen to red paper at some stage this year

#21 ·
Well signing early with contract escape clauses if there was lack of car performance may be ok. Also driver salaries will not be capped. Would not be surprised if Honda is also contributing to Verstappen’s remuneration.
My guess Verstappen would have a mid $20M F1 salary now. And would earn additional from advertising.

#23 ·
Good interview with Peter Wright. The one overtaking problem neither he nor Windsor touched on is that nowadays not only are the cars hyper-sensitive to the disturbed air generated by the car ahead, they are also designed specifically to create the maximum possible disturbed air for the car behind.

#24 ·
A question for veteran F1 race attendees: A couple of family members and myself plan to attend one of the F1 races (our first time) in 2020, probably in the second half of the year. I'm looking for suggestions as to which venue to choose and whether to opt for pit passes, etc. (e.g., with McLaren).

Which races do you feel offer the best spectator experience?

What are the best deals for getting an upgraded experience (e.g., pit access)?

#26 ·
Sir,

I have not replied to your question (but presumed that others would) because, although I attended my first F1 event in 1974 and have been going to other races since before then, these days I would never go to an F1 race.
The crowds, the traffic, the weather, the bad food - none of that exactly appeals. For me the main problem, however, is that at a "road race" you only see a small fraction of the entire circuit. Overtaking in F1 is rare enough as it is, but if your seat location means that you won't be able to see 80% of the overtakes that do occur, and at the same time you cannot see what is happening in the pits where, in the current formula, so many of the crucial moves take place, the question one asks oneself is, "Why again did I come here, instead of getting a 10x better experience at home for free?"

Fwiw, I would suggest a richer experience would be available at a 24-hour sports car race, where you can go into the pits during the race, talk with the drivers, be around true fans rather than the fair-weather types, and soak up a far nicer, more honest atmosphere. The Nurburgring 24 Hours would be best, but the Spa 24 is also excellent. Maybe Daytona 24 if you like sand and swamps.

#32 ·
Breaking news: billionaire Stroll takes major stake in Aston Martin
Canadian businessman secures 16.7% stake in British car maker; Racing Point F1 team to be rebranded as Aston Martin

#36 ·
The FIA Motorsport World Council at a meeting in Cologne approved the calendar of the Formula 1 World Cup for 2020. As previously assumed, the number of stages in it was a record in the history of the tournament: the participants of the championship will have to start in 22 races.

The season will begin in Australia on March 15th and end in Abu Dhabi on November 29th. The Grand Prix of the Netherlands will return to the calendar, which will take the race track in Zandvoort - plus for the first time in history, the Grand Prix of Vietnam will take place, the arena of which will be the new highway in Hanoi.

#37 ·
Both stages mentioned above will take place in spring - in connection with it, the race in Baku, which this year was held in April, was postponed to June. The Russian Grand Prix, like this season, will be held in late September, a week after the race in Singapore and two weeks before the stage in Japan.

The appearance in the calendar of two new stages with an increase in the number of races by only one signals the loss of one of the Grand Prix that took place this year. The German race became superfluous: Formula 1 will not come to Hockenheim next season.

At the meeting of the council, the schedule of pre-season tests was also approved. The first series of races will take place at the circuit in Barcelona from February 19 to 21, the second - from February 26 to 28.

It is known that the subject of discussion was also a number of changes to the sports regulations of the championship (experts suggest that it could be a question of qualifying races that have been actively discussed recently). However, no decisions were made on these issues - later, members of the council must decide the fate of innovations using remote voting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.